Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Mackerel, I know a place that sells them cheap and frozen. I have yet to start Dude on fish tho. Do you guys worry about the bones? Fish bones and fins are quite pointy.
NO worries about fish bones. Murphy ate a fish straight out of our pond once, and never had any issues. I give the dogs whiting once and awhile, and have never had a problem. If your dogs can eat chicken backs fine, they will be A-OK with fish bones.

· Registered
269 Posts
Hey all :) First time posting in here, forgive me if I don't get the lingo....

So I feed Luna a kibble diet. Although I would love to provide her with a RAW diet, realistically, I know I can't. But I would love to add in some RMB's here and there.

So first off: i know this isn't likely, but does anyone here live in Toronto, and have a source for bones that they can recommend to me? I doubt there will be, but I thought I would ask. Since it will be likely that I will have to ask at butcher shops and ethnic grocery stores etc... what should I be asking for? I don't know what type of bones are common when referring to "RMBs"? Beef, chicken, pork? Does it matter, or just a personal preference? Leg, thigh, ribs ? (i told you, I have no clue!)

I am assuming that I should reduce the amount of kibble for the days that she gets a RMB, but by how much? She gets 2.5 - 2.75 cups per day.

Really, if anyone can throw me a bone here (haha... get it??) I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jennie ( and Luna :)

· Registered
12,980 Posts
I never reduce the feeding for the day when giving a raw marrow bone as a treat.

Additionally, do you have any specialty meat stores/butcher types there? If so, they will have the marrow bones for you.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
You can get RMBs at holistic pet food stores as well. Where is Paul? He may know. He lives near TO and has a pet food shop.

Ideally when choosing any raw meat and bones for your dog you want to ask if they animals were grain fed.

· Registered
70 Posts
We have a Bulldog/Pit (40lbs) and a Boston (20lbs) who have always had raw. We recently got a Valley Bulldog and are switching him over to raw/Evo for now.

We mostly feed chicken leg quarters and tripe with fish oil and a probiotic. Adding livers/heart and egg and froz mackerel throughout the week. I'm not a big stickler for exact amounts so I just keep watching their weight.
Not sure how much the new guy will be getting just yet....he's eating 4 cups of EVO right now and he's about 50lbs. He does have tear stains and some skin issues so hopefully this will help.

· Registered
70 Posts
That's about my reaction too! He doesn't seem fat....maybe a tad bit "thick". This is the instructions from his previous foster mom. She also said he was "high energy" and to me, his energy level is about that of an active Bulldog (EB) not anything compared to my bouncin' off the wall 42lb Pit/Bulldog who is 2yrs old.
Maybe because he is only 1? I've only had him 3 days right now, so we'll see. He is a slow eater (this is very foreign to me in my house w/ the meat eaters....:)) even when I've added some chicken to his food.
He is a big doughy baby and a bit clingy so maybe he's just stressed about his new surroundings.

· Registered
7,384 Posts
I agree with Tina. There is usually a "honeymoon" phase where things seem pretty good than one day... *BAM* they are holy terrors :lol: But I would try cutting his food intake back to 2 cups, maybe 1 or 1.5 since you are adding chicken to his diet.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
I remember when we first got Hudson he was such an angel. He came in, sat in front of the tv quietly and watched it all night and napped. Occasionally chewed on a toy but was more interested in the tv. It was like a kid being away from his parents and was too shy to do anything. We put a blanket beside our bed and he slept on it all night, didn't move for 8 hrs. It was so amazing. We thought we won the lottery with that guy. Since he was a puppy he got comfortable soon and became the big jerk he is today haha. I get emotional when I think back to how small and sweet he used to be. He still is that same little baby Hudson sometimes, its nice.

· Registered
9,125 Posts
We have a Bulldog/Pit (40lbs) and a Boston (20lbs) who have always had raw. We recently got a Valley Bulldog and are switching him over to raw/Evo for now.

We mostly feed chicken leg quarters and tripe with fish oil and a probiotic. Adding livers/heart and egg and froz mackerel throughout the week. I'm not a big stickler for exact amounts so I just keep watching their weight.
Not sure how much the new guy will be getting just yet....he's eating 4 cups of EVO right now and he's about 50lbs. He does have tear stains and some skin issues so hopefully this will help.
Just be aware regarding Evo I'm not sure if you are aware but they are now a P&G product like Iams that is notorious for recalls, the company also has a bad reputation for animal testing.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.