Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Hot damn. Just scored ~100lbs of free beef from craigslist that a guy is trying to clean out of his fridge. Holla!!!!!
Meat hoarder much? LOL well you beat me and my 30lbs free.

We picked up 80lbs yesterday and have no room for it (well we still fit a few of our own stuff in the freezer). Had to put more in the fridge than planned and hope it doesn't get too gross. We could always put a freezer in the backyard but it'll look trashy lol. I'd rather make extra trips.

· Registered
405 Posts
I have been feeding my 2 dogs chicken quarters without an issue until this past weekend. My 2 1/2 year old pit was eating a leg and after she ate it I noticed that she kept pawing at her face. I had her lay down, i rolled her on her back and opened her mouth and found a piece of chicken bone stuck to the top of her mouth. I reached in and removed it and she was fine after that.

Is it common for raw chicken bones to get stuck in their mouth? Since she has ate a few more quarters without issue.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
So yesterday Jon went to go pick up our "100lbs of beef" from this guy. Jon gets home and its about 95 lbs of pork and 5 lbs of extremely old and freezer burned beef. And there was about 70 lbs of pigs heads! I almost cried when i saw them. They had teeth and everything. So needless to say I am not a meat hoarder. Booooo.

And then the guy calls last night and asks if we want any more pig heads because he's taking more pigs in on Tuesday :( So if anyone wants free pig heads, I can get em!

But I did just order 160 lbs of meat for for 144 lbs including 50 lbs of lamb flanks. So I'll be spending my weekend cutting, measuring, and wrapping. Yay.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
We don't have a freezer aside from the one that is part of the fridge. I find the meat leaves a nasty smell, even though the freezer is shut properly. We are getting more plastic containers so hopefully that will help, but does anyone else find the smell through the fridge when you have large amounts? Ew.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Really? I don't smell anything. I have 200 lbs of meat in my chest freezer. And i have fish and tripe in my fridge. I use freezer paper when I wrap everything.

I do find that when I keep something in the fridge, putting it in the crisper and turning it on the coldest setting keeps the meat good for about 5x longer than in the fridge itself. I have a system of thawing the meat slowly. It goes in the deep freezer first, then I take a weeks worth of food and put it in my refrigerator freezer. I'll take the meal 3 days from now and put it in the crisper, and then tomorrow's meal in the fridge. It's a process, lol.

Oh and my parents are getting a new fridge this weekend and giving us their old one. So that will be the official dog meat fridge. :) yay for more storage.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Maybe it's just the bags that the chicken gizzards are in this time. Smells stronger than usual. We keep it in the freezer too and move it to the crisper a few days before they eat it, and regular shelf the day before. If I need frozen meat in a hurry I just run it under hot water for a minute or two and it's thawed enough lol.

· Registered
7,384 Posts
I think I've found a couple suppliers!! There are a few meat places around here that are willing to work with me! yay! :lol: Now if only I can find a freezer small enough to put into an apartment...

I can't believe how well Shelby is doing on the raw diet :D Her poops are so much better - they were really inconsistent on kibble, even TOTW.

· Registered
264 Posts
Porcupine? Okay to feed to dog? I headed up north in MN to do some hunting. I was super shocked, there was tons of porcupine up in the trees. It would be a super easy kill, because they'll not move. If it's okay to feed, I'll shoot a couple for the bully at home :) and skin them ;)

· Registered
264 Posts
No don't kill the poor little porky-pine. I would imagine it would be hard to transport and skin one anyways. Don't hunters need tags to kill stuff?
I didn't kill any porkypine yet. I went for a hike to look for wabbit for Dude, but found none and saw tons TONS of porkypine. I got my hunting license and everything, so I am all set. Porkypine in MN have no value nor limit, free for all. If its no good for dog to eat; when skin, I'll won't kill one. Porkypine are good to kill when you're out in survival situation.

· Registered
7,384 Posts
I saw a small freezer somewhere but can't remember. so i googled small freezer and got lots of results.
I can't exactly afford a new one so I'm on the hunt for a used freezer. Plus it can't be huge since it will have to fit into an apartment so I'm looking for something around 10 cubic ft or smaller.

Porcupine? Okay to feed to dog? I headed up north in MN to do some hunting. I was super shocked, there was tons of porcupine up in the trees. It would be a super easy kill, because they'll not move. If it's okay to feed, I'll shoot a couple for the bully at home :) and skin them ;)
I would definitely have to look that up. I don't think they would taste to good to us but as far as raw for your dog I don't know that they would be harmful to feed. I would freeze it for a while though just to kill of some parasites that they probably have.

· Registered
56 Posts
before I feed the dogs raw stuff , my dog axle would wait outside my shed when I went in and get the mice that would run out. he would only kill them and toss them around. I wonder if he will eat them now?lol

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Never hunt Porcupine!!

It's old hunting lore, not to kill them unless you HAVE to. They could be killed with a stick if need be and that's part of the reason why. If a hunter was stuck in the woods without a means to eat. The Porcupine is readily available and an easy kill.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
So last night we rescued a stray dog off the street. He is living in our yard until we find his family/sort that out of find him a new home. I tried to feed him raw and he would have none of it. A stray! I later offered cooked chicken and he tried to eat my hand with it. Jerk. Rando (the random stray) is getting cheap dog food! What kind of strays turns away chicken gizzards in yogurt?!?

141 - 160 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.