Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

· Registered
4,494 Posts
I know that if you start feeding them at the same time every day, their stomach will begin to anticipate the meal and may overproduce bile at that time.

I'd lean more to dogs that are fed kibble don't produce enough stomach acid and raw fed dogs produce the amount they are supposed to ;)

· Registered
396 Posts
It's been awhile since this thread has had any action, but I have a raw question!
Do any of you (if anyone out there still does raw) use a meat grinder or blender on your meat?
In my head grinding up some stuff seems appropriate (especially for my 8lbs girlie who struggles with chicken wings even.. lol), and it seems like making some organ/meaty mix would be wayyyy easier than chopping up giant cow pancreas into manageable sections (probably not, but in my head...lol).

The Weston's would be amazing but at $500 ++ they are out of my price range. Manuals are WAY cheaper, but can they process the same things?
This was suggested: Ninja Master Prep Pro - Blenders, Juicers & Mixers QB1005
I was told it could even handle bone, so I'm considering it.
Anywho, if anyone has any suggestions for grinders, or processors that could handle bone (not anything bigger than chicken really) I'm all ears.

· Registered
6,912 Posts
i went out and bought a Northern Tool grinder, it was like $79 but that was 7 years ago. it had no problem grinding chicken wing bones and neck bones, but that was it, it suited my purpose fine..

this is the exact one i had : it only went up a bit over $20 in 7 years so that isnt so bad

Amazon.com: Electric Meat Grinder - 1000 Watts of Power: Kitchen & Dining

i uesd it to grind organs and chicken wings and necks and small turkey wings for my dogs when i used to make my own raw

· Registered
22 Posts
I have been looking at RAW diets and find them interesting and logical. Id love to at least trey it with my dogs though my parents both aren't buying it at all so I guess I'll have to wait until I get my own dog lol.

However through my research I've noticed a lot of conflict over what the proper RAW diet is. So I decided to go back to the basics and look at the dog's wild relative's diets. I've heard before criticisms that most people are basing their dogs diets off of North American Timber wolves even though dogs evolved from Middle Eastern wolves which obvious have a different diet as they live in two very different environments. So I decided to look at the genus "Canis" which is the genus the domestic dog belongs too, Canis lupus familiaris or Canis familiaris depending of your view, and the Asian Dhole and African wild dog. There are many other species of dogs in the world but I decided to look at these kinds of wild canines as they are the closest relatives to domestic dogs out of the canine family so their dietary needs would be much more similar than say a dog and a red fox. So here is what I found.

Side Striped Jackal (Canis adustus)- invertebrates, small mammals, carrion, fruit (accounts for up to 30% of diet). Has been reported to break into chicken coops, eat the chicken feed, and leave the birds themselves completely unharmed.

Golden Jackal (Canis aureus)- small to medium mammals, invertebrates, carrion, birds and eggs, reptiles, fruit. Accountable for raiding melons, grapes, and nuts from farmers. In some parts of its range it exclusively eats plant matter during part of the year.

Coyote (Canis latrans)- 90% of diet is from mammalian prey but will also consume reptiles, birds and eggs, invertebrates, carrion, rubbish, fruits and vegtables( evidently these make up a large part of its diet during fall and winter months)

Gray Wolf (Canis lupus)- prefers large hoofed mammals but will also eat small mammals, birds and their eggs, reptiles, frogs, rubbish, carrion, fish and fruit. Will raid melon fields during summer months.

Black-backed Jackal (Canis mesomelas)- mammals up to the size of small antelope, invertebrates, birds and eggs, reptiles, carrion, fruits.

Red Wolf (Canis rufus)- small mammals, deer, insects, birds and eggs, fruit

Ethiopian Wolf (Canis simensis)- 90% of diet is rodent based. Will eat hares, small hoofed animals, birds and eggs, and fruit when available but these items are scarce in their high altitude habitat.

Dingo ( Canis lupus dingo, Canis lupus familaris dingo, or Canis familaris dingo)- mammals up to the size of water buffalo, birds and eggs, reptiles, invertebrates, fish, fruits, rubbish, carrion.

Dhole (Cuon alpinus)- Primarily large hoofed mammals, will willing eat fruit, grasses, leaves, and herbs.

African Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus)- hyper-carnivore: large-medium hoofed mammals and ostriches.

Now after looking at it it seems that all these canines do consumes noticeable amounts of of plant matter other than the African Wild Dog which is a hyper carnivore much like a cat, it is however the most distantly related to our domestic dogs out of any of the canines I've listed. However most of the plant matter consumed seems to be fruit based which isn't all that difficult to digest as its mostly just water and sugars. What I do want to point out though is these are just species diets in general and the diets definitely vary depending on where an individual lives, for example a arctic wolf wouldn't have as much access to fruit as a Indian wolf would, like wise a Indian wolf wouldn't be able to hunt salmon like an Arctic wolf would.

Now I would just like to see what more experienced RAW feeders have to say about this and what they think it means as far as our dogs go.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.