Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading in a few other American Bulldog forums and doing some search online about it... Amonth or so ago I decided to try feeding my dog a raw diet in the morning, kibble at night. He went crazy for it every morning. Would sit in the kitchen as I prepared it. Kroger at the time had a sale on Chx, buy one get one for free. So I stocked up... He did great on it for the month.

I was running low on my Chx supply so my grandmother, who is in love with the dog picked up some Chx at Meirer's

Well... things didn't go all that well. Chx bone half digested passed through my puppy's system and hooked on to one of his anal muscles and he couldn't poop it out. He had another bone which was sort of not moving or digesting in his stomach. To make a long story short... he had to have surgery.

I felt really... really bad about it. That I was putting him through this 4 or so days after the surgery I was concerned that he went through this experience and it psychologically changed him... he was doing much, but sleeping and behaving way too much.

Yesterday, about 10 days after his surgery. He was more wild and rambunctious than ever. A firend of mine walked his year and a half American Bulldog female over, and he went crazy with joy and exticment.

I really liked how every morning my puppy would go crazy for his morning breakfast and I kind of got off on him sitting there waiting for it as I prepared it. I'll probably go back to feeding him a raw diet each morning (actually he is on a broiled chx n rice diet now instructed by vet) but it will be boneless chx. One scare is enough...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ck01 said:
After reading in a few other American Bulldog forums and doing some search online about it... Amonth or so ago I decided to try feeding my dog a raw diet in the morning, kibble at night. He went crazy for it every morning. Would sit in the kitchen as I prepared it. Kroger at the time had a sale on Chx, buy one get one for free. So I stocked up... He did great on it for the month.

I was running low on my Chx supply so my grandmother, who is in love with the dog picked up some Chx at Meirer's

Well... things didn't go all that well. Chx bone half digested passed through my puppy's system and hooked on to one of his anal muscles and he couldn't poop it out. He had another bone which was sort of not moving or digesting in his stomach. To make a long story short... he had to have surgery.

I felt really... really bad about it. That I was putting him through this 4 or so days after the surgery I was concerned that he went through this experience and it psychologically changed him... he was doing much, but sleeping and behaving way too much.

Yesterday, about 10 days after his surgery. He was more wild and rambunctious than ever. A firend of mine walked his year and a half American Bulldog female over, and he went crazy with joy and exticment.

I really liked how every morning my puppy would go crazy for his morning breakfast and I kind of got off on him sitting there waiting for it as I prepared it. I'll probably go back to feeding him a raw diet each morning (actually he is on a broiled chx n rice diet now instructed by vet) but it will be boneless chx. One scare is enough...
The only raw bone I give my dogs is chicken necks - multijointed, blunt bones. I've always been afraid to give other bones because my dogs are gulpers. Their chicken thighs are deboned (if I purchase it already deboned it's almost 2x the price.).

Paula

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That's really unfortunate, and I'm glad he's okay now. Some dogs have the tendancy not to chew the bones and just scarf them down (bully breeds are notorious for that). I noticed my bull terrier does this with small bones, so I give her larger ones that force her to chew them up. If you're willing to pay a little extra money, you can purchase RAW/BARF diet patties at http://www.barfworld.com/. These have the bones crushed up in the mixture already so there's no possibility of what happened to your dog. This way he'd still be getting the nutrition from the bones without the potential hazard.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
So sorry to hear about your pup. I feed mostly ground for my "bone in" meals because I'm still new and terrified but I really like the Bravo product. Their prices are great and there is almost no odor to it. I'm not sure how old your puppy is but do you need to be careful not to feed too much calcium with the kibble and raw combo. I've read that a lot of kibbles have really high amounts of calcium so it may be best to cut down on the amount of bone in the raw anyways. It's just something you may need to check into if you haven't allready.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can't feed raw properly and not feed bone. Your best bet is to buy ground premade raw or buy a grinder. I buy my raw premade and ground, and feed large recreational bones for dental and mental health, lol. They get all that they need and you don't have to worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts