Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm back in school and as part of a take home final from heck I had to prove causation between Salmonella serovar typhimurium and gallbladder abscess, sepsis and mental confusion using Bradford Hill Criteria for causation. As a result, over the past week I've read about 30 different peer-reviewed journal articles on all aspects of Salmonella and Salmonellosis.

As a result I am no long going to feed my dogs raw eggs. There are too many emergent MULTI DRUG RESISTANT salmonella strains out there, and the biggest and brightest pool of contamination is....drumroll...raw and undercooked egg and egg products. Microbial contamination I take as part of life - multidrug resistant microbial contamination is a whole nother story.

So I am officially reversing my position on raw eggs. I will henceforth cook the living tar out of them. And absolutely no freakin shells.

Paula

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
msvette2u said:
Can I borrow your post for another forum!??
Sure...as long as it's not Dog.com cuz I already posted there. And, if you'd like, I also have a (as we say in science) metric ass-ton of cited peer reviewed journal articles if you'd like.

Paula

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
So I'm back in school and as part of a take home final from heck I had to prove causation between Salmonella serovar typhimurium and gallbladder abscess, sepsis and mental confusion using Bradford Hill Criteria for causation. As a result, over the past week I've read about 30 different peer-reviewed journal articles on all aspects of Salmonella and Salmonellosis.

As a result I am no long going to feed my dogs raw eggs. There are too many emergent MULTI DRUG RESISTANT salmonella strains out there, and the biggest and brightest pool of contamination is....drumroll...raw and undercooked egg and egg products. Microbial contamination I take as part of life - multidrug resistant microbial contamination is a whole nother story.

So I am officially reversing my position on raw eggs. I will henceforth cook the living tar out of them. And absolutely no freakin shells.

Paula
What are you in school for?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
angie7349 said:
PaulaEdwina said:

Paula
What are you in school for?
I'm doing a PhD Public Health on line with Walden University.

Paula

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
Would shells be ok if they are baked? I use ground eggshells sometimes if I don't have any RMB's but I put them in the oven at 350 degrees for abouot 10 minutes first to dry them out.
I can't answer that question - I don't have relevant information. I guess the question would be at what temperature would salmonella be killed?

Paula

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ah, could be a stupid question (I'm known to ask those far too often) but aren't eggs pastuerized or something like that? Ok maybe not pastuerized but isn't something done to them? Would organic be less dangerous or more, or no difference at all? Just curious...

Sarah

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
newpitowner said:
Ah, could be a stupid question (I'm known to ask those far too often) but aren't eggs pastuerized or something like that? Ok maybe not pastuerized but isn't something done to them? Would organic be less dangerous or more, or no difference at all? Just curious...

Sarah
No, milk is pasteurized. Eggs are raw. Shells may be waxed to keep the egg longer. The thing is that egg and poultry are pretty good sources of salmonells so you shoud always wash your hands and prep surfaces thoroughly. But other animals can pass on salmonella too.

Everything you ever wanted to know about foodborne pathogens and salmonella and such can be found at
http://www.cdc.gov

Just use words like salmonella or food safety in the search box.

Paula

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Paula, when you were feeding raw eggs did you ever have any problems with your dogs digesting them? I fed them a couple times but never again because backyard cleanup was so disgusting after. Ever since I satrted cooking the eggs, at least the white portion, I have had no problems.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lisa said:
Paula, when you were feeding raw eggs did you ever have any problems with your dogs digesting them? I fed them a couple times but never again because backyard cleanup was so disgusting after. Ever since I satrted cooking the eggs, at least the white portion, I have had no problems.
No I never did. But I do have about an acre in the woods fenced so it would be very easy to miss sporadic episodes of the runs.

Paula

·
Registered
17 Posts
How is it that dogs can eat half rotted meat and old fish carcass and be just fine? Would't what ever allows them to do that protect them from solmenella?

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/HealthCare/Salmonella.htm
I came across this article, it would seem that dog aren't adversly affected by salmonella. The only risk I can see is possible transmission from dog to humans. I would think proper hygiene practices would greatly reduce this risk if not eliminate it. If you start cooking the eggs it would be logical that you would have to cook all sorts off meat and animal products, and even fruits and vegies, becuase all these can carry salmonella.

Just my two cents worth

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dylan said:
How is it that dogs can eat half rotted meat and old fish carcass and be just fine? Would't what ever allows them to do that protect them from solmenella?

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/HealthCare/Salmonella.htm
I came across this article, it would seem that dog aren't adversly affected by salmonella. The only risk I can see is possible transmission from dog to humans. I would think proper hygiene practices would greatly reduce this risk if not eliminate it. If you start cooking the eggs it would be logical that you would have to cook all sorts off meat and animal products, and even fruits and vegies, becuase all these can carry salmonella.

Just my two cents worth
I know what you're saying Dylan. I am not a germphobe, and my dogs eat a lot of crap. I have been feeding raw for some time now. As I said in my post; it's not microbial contamination I'm concerned about, I'm concerneb about MULTI DRUG RESISTANT microbial contamination.

For example, the CDC identified 32% of S typhimurium (often the cause of salmonella poisoning) being DT104 whihc is a strain that is resistant to ampicillin, cholramphenicol, streptomycin, sulfonamides adn tetracycline in 1996. In 1995 28% of isolated typhimuirium was DT104, and in 1990 only 7% (Induction and Resuscitation of viable but nonculturalble salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium DT104. Gupte et al . Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Nov. 003. 6669-6675).

In addition salmonella is highly host adaptable. So I think we should really be concerned now. JMO.
Paula

·
Registered
17 Posts
The way I see it is that you run a greater risk eating breakfast at denny's then feeding your dog's raw eggs. The solmanella may be resistant to drugs but has not shown any signs of being resistant to a dogs digestive tract or to hot soapy water. The way I see it dogs have eaten raw foods forever and we have had dogs "forever" with few health concerns. What has changed that makes salmonella more of a risk now?

Notice the abundance of "the way i see its."

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dylan said:
The way I see it is that you run a greater risk eating breakfast at denny's then feeding your dog's raw eggs. The solmanella may be resistant to drugs but has not shown any signs of being resistant to a dogs digestive tract or to hot soapy water. The way I see it dogs have eaten raw foods forever and we have had dogs "forever" with few health concerns. What has changed that makes salmonella more of a risk now?

Notice the abundance of "the way i see its."
The thing that's changed to make salmonella more of a risk now is the same thing that's changed that makes staph more of a risk now -emergent multi-drug resistant strains.

JMO
Paula

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i have never had a problem feeding raw eggs , shells OR raw chicken. you would think if a dog was susceptible to salmonella they wud get it from raw chicken as easily as the eggs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.