Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone Raw feed? We started two months ago after about 6 months of researching and questions. And I have NEVER been happier. My dogs are so healthy it unbelievable and I SAVE MONEY. It's awesome and I can't say enough good things about it! My favorite improvment has been their coats. 2 of my APBT's have stuggled with dry skin and coats. I've used great food, fish oil, eggs, etc. After starting Raw their coats are soft, shiny, and they don't itch!!!! :) LOVE IT!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I love raw diets. I give my girls raw as often as possible. I have a Giant Schnauzer, and with her beard, and having kids... the germies just kind of freak me and my husband out. I will feed raw chicken on bath and grooming days, usually about twice a week. Otherwise, the dogs get DVP duck and potato and my giant gets 1/4 lb of "satin balls" daily because shes a skinny girl.

·
Registered
14,576 Posts
Heck, you can give him raw beef...we sometimes just give Atticus some ground beef and/or steak.

I'm hesitant to feed chicken, I've heard you can, I've heard you can't.

I would LOVE to go to an all raw diet, though...and cut out the "dog food".

·
Registered
932 Posts
i feed patch DVP kibble.... but sometimes i give him raw meaty bones, he likes his raw veg too.
is it ok to mix raw and kibble???
he LOVES his raw vegies and meat!
i usually give him lamb off cuts, and when we have a roast lamb he always gets the bone..

this is ok right?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
When I got my Giant, the breeder ONLY feeds raw, and will only guarantee her dogs if they are fed raw or DVP ( or any other BARF friendly diet)

Chicken is ok, bones and all. NO COOKED BONES, they splinter. I fed my giant 2 raw thighs today, and Bella, my new EB gnawed at one for about 45 min =)

Here is a good info site about BARF, with a link to a BARF webring for more internet surfing pleasure! (no.. not that kind)

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm#Help

Lamb and venison are too rich for some dogs, but if your dog can handle it, then go ahead, give that dog a lamb chop =)) As far as feeding kibble and raw, its best to feed it at different times, as the dog digests them differently and at different rates.

There are 2 sides of the fence as far as feeding veggies, some say no veggies (in the wild, our dog's cousins would take the stomach of the prey animal, and shake the stomach contents out, and not eat what was in it, as do big cats and other carnivores.) Green tripe is good too, you can buy it whole (yuk) or convienantly canned. Don't buy the bleached tripe in the supermarkets, all the good stuff has been removed.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I feed raw. My freezer is filled with just about everything. Our grocery store here in town had pork and whole salmon on sale for $1/lb!! I'm trying to get rid of some things so I don't have to buy another freezer for when I start getting venison, moose, and maybe bear. I shouldn't have to buy meat (maybe one more chicken run) untill next spring. \:D/

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Ill never give pork bones, as they are one of the denser bones, and can crack teeth. I have no issues giving chicken bones, they will not 'splinter in the bowl' and when raw, they are soft and maliable.

Never give your dog COOKED chicken bones. COOKED bones will splinter when broken. COOKED bones are dangerous.

This may be TMI, but I have checked my dog's stools after a heavy bone day, there is no difference in the bone chips in her poo when I feed her thighs/wings/drums (thick bones), or the very boney chicken backs (small bones). I prefer the necks and backs over the thighs/wings/drums because the bones will clean her choppers pearly white. I usually never give wings, the wing bones are very dense as well.

My girl sometimes eats the thighs so fast that she almost swallows it whole, so usually take a hammer and break the bone, and if its a big thigh, will cut slices in the meat so the thigh is a little bit broken up, and she has to chew pieces off of it.

Care, LUCKY!!! Here in Houston, you have to find a mom and pop butcher to find any 'exotic' meats, and when you do, it is usually outrageously expensive. Houston just isnt cattle country like it used to be.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I feed both pork and chicken, bones and all. Depending on the meat I usually leave it frozen because then Jazmine can't gulp it whole then, she has to work for it. When I give pork hocks I take away that small sharp bone once she's eaten most of it. Ribs, riblettes, and even roasts (pork) are all good. But I will never feed cooked bones, of any kind.

CowBella said:
Care, LUCKY!!! Here in Houston, you have to find a mom and pop butcher to find any 'exotic' meats, and when you do, it is usually outrageously expensive. Houston just isnt cattle country like it used to be.
We live up in cottage country and every one and their brother hunts, so we have access to venison and sometimes other meats. This is what I do, it might help you out. I find the butchers whom do the hunters meats, and then offer to take whatever they would scrap. Or find butchers who do free range or organic farm meats. They will sometimes sell what they don't use for cheap. My local butcher will sell lamb breast bone for $ 1.35/lb.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
When I lived in NC, my boyfriend at the time worked at a local butcher that dressed hunt kills of all kinds. After getting everything off the bone, (for ground beef/sausage) they would toss the bones in a 55g rubbermade trashcan, and every week someone would come pick them up for the cosmetic companies!! ewwww

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Do some research on the BARF diet - it's all over the internet. Raw and kibble should not be fed at the same time because they digest at different rates. Chicken bones in the form of whole chicken backs (among many other things) are commonly fed.

Personally, I would never, EVER feed raw, but there is a virulant strain of the BARF Nazi flu out there and I don't feel like dealing with anyone who is suffering, so I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
Do some research on the BARF diet - it's all over the internet. Raw and kibble should not be fed at the same time because they digest at different rates. Chicken bones in the form of whole chicken backs (among many other things) are commonly fed.

Personally, I would never, EVER feed raw, but there is a virulant strain of the BARF Nazi flu out there and I don't feel like dealing with anyone who is suffering, so I'll leave it at that.
so feeding kibble and giving the odd raw bone is BAD for them??? So i'm not doing the right thing?
i mix both... and Patch seems to be doing well on it....

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Patch said:
Chrisnjen said:

so feeding kibble and giving the odd raw bone is BAD for them??? So i'm not doing the right thing?
i mix both... and Patch seems to be doing well on it....
It's just a myth that you can't feed kibble and raw at the same meal. It doesn't cause any problems to the dog at all. Also, pork and chicken bones are totally safe to feed dogs as long as they are raw. I know chihuahua's that are perfectly capable of crunching bones so it would be kind of an insult to assume that bulldogs can't do the same! :lol: The bones that tend to be for recreation only are weight bearing bones (femurs) from large animals. There is also a bone on neck that is a little dense but most of the neck bones are totally fine. I don't feed turkey bones other than necks because they seem splintery and I've heard too many people say the same.

My dogs love raw food and they are thriving on it. It's completely a personal choice but for me it was worth taking the plunge. My dogs had too many problems when they were on kibble and now they are doing much better!

·
Registered
932 Posts
iluvmypit said:
So it would be ok to give Nelson a piece of raw steak?

Does anyone feed their dogs eggs?
I give patch eggs at least 2 or 3 times a week. I lightly boil them, so the egg white is cooked but the yolk is still soft and runny. and I just mix it in with his kibble... he LOVES it!
I also give him some plain yoghurt with acidopholis a few times a week, mixed in with his kibble.

I've never given him raw steak as such, but he eats raw meaty bones (lamb usually), and i've given him raw chicken wings before.... although i'm afraid to give him raw chicken necks... perhaps someone can give me advice on those? are they ok????

He also LOVES raw carrots and apples and pears... i usually cut them up for him and use them as treats... he loves them! but often, AGAINST MY WILL...my husband throws him a whole apple or pear!!!!!!!!! and he'll munch it up, it's hilarious!
i would prefer to skin and cut them... but the hubby reckons it's fine to give it to him whole.

what kibble are you feeding Nelson?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Patch said:
iluvmypit said:

I give patch eggs at least 2 or 3 times a week. I lightly boil them, so the egg white is cooked but the yolk is still soft and runny. and I just mix it in with his kibble... he LOVES it!
I also give him some plain yoghurt with acidopholis a few times a week, mixed in with his kibble.

I've never given him raw steak as such, but he eats raw meaty bones (lamb usually), and i've given him raw chicken wings before.... although i'm afraid to give him raw chicken necks... perhaps someone can give me advice on those? are they ok????

He also LOVES raw carrots and apples and pears... i usually cut them up for him and use them as treats... he loves them! but often, AGAINST MY WILL...my husband throws him a whole apple or pear!!!!!!!!! and he'll munch it up, it's hilarious!
i would prefer to skin and cut them... but the hubby reckons it's fine to give it to him whole.

Ok cool - Yeah Nelson loves eggs, I scrambled some for him this morning and added with his dry food (is that what kibble is?) He has two dry foods Eukenuba and Health Science (i think thats what it's called) He wouldnt eat the scrambled eggs and dry food so I added some Puppy can food and he demolished it!

Yogurt how interesting? Just natural I assume?

I thought you shouldnt give raw bones or is that cooked bones? So confusing!!! I got Nelson a smoked bone the other day he chews on it occassionally but isnt really that excited about it...Friends of mine have 1 x English Staffy and 1 x American Staffy who they regularly give chicken necks (the husband wants this because apparently it really bulks up the dogs) and they love them.

My parents friend told me the other day when she had her puppy (border Collie) I think she gave it a chicken wing, which got stuck in it's throat (coz he was so excited he just swallowed it) the dog eventually got it down but she said it went on for a while with it stuck - i mean sorry to be negative but how terrible would you feel if you likked your dog by giving it a chicken wing and then it chocks on it?

I havent tryed Nelson on Fruit n Vegetables - Are they all ok to give to them? Is there any that I shouldnt?

Isnt that typical of a man...She'll/He'll be fine (dont treat the man's dog as a baby...hahahaha)

My partner is worried I 'baby' Nelson too much with affection/kisses etc and I say a Pitty will never be a baby!!!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
iluvmypit said:
My partner is worried I 'baby' Nelson too much with affection/kisses etc and I say a Pitty will never be a baby!!!
Lol, of course a pit will be a baby. Might not look like it though. All of the pitters we have had have been the biggest babies ever. Nothing but lovers and cuddlers. There is nothing wrong with giving your dog affection, as long as they get it on your terms and not theirs. :flower:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Care said:
iluvmypit said:
Lol, of course a pit will be a baby. Might not look like it though. All of the pitters we have had have been the biggest babies ever. Nothing but lovers and cuddlers. There is nothing wrong with giving your dog affection, as long as they get it on your terms and not theirs. :flower:
Yeah Nelson is a Mommas boy, makes my partner jealous lol!

·
Registered
932 Posts
iluvmypit said:
Patch said:
iluvmypit said:

Ok cool - Yeah Nelson loves eggs, I scrambled some for him this morning and added with his dry food (is that what kibble is?) He has two dry foods Eukenuba and Health Science (i think thats what it's called) He wouldnt eat the scrambled eggs and dry food so I added some Puppy can food and he demolished it!

Yogurt how interesting? Just natural I assume?

I thought you shouldnt give raw bones or is that cooked bones? So confusing!!! I got Nelson a smoked bone the other day he chews on it occassionally but isnt really that excited about it...Friends of mine have 1 x English Staffy and 1 x American Staffy who they regularly give chicken necks (the husband wants this because apparently it really bulks up the dogs) and they love them.

My parents friend told me the other day when she had her puppy (border Collie) I think she gave it a chicken wing, which got stuck in it's throat (coz he was so excited he just swallowed it) the dog eventually got it down but she said it went on for a while with it stuck - i mean sorry to be negative but how terrible would you feel if you likked your dog by giving it a chicken wing and then it chocks on it?

I havent tryed Nelson on Fruit n Vegetables - Are they all ok to give to them? Is there any that I shouldnt?

Isnt that typical of a man...She'll/He'll be fine (dont treat the man's dog as a baby...hahahaha)

OK first thing is first.... get Nelson OFF Eukanuba and Science Diet.
Those foods are really bad... they are a rip off.

Have a read of the first sticky post on the Health and Exercise section.... they've graded foods, and from memory Eukanuba and Science Diet receive an E. it's full of fillers and meat by-products.

Patch started off with Innova and California Natural, and did well.

He's now on Dick Van Patten's (DVP) and he's thriving on it.

Premium (human grade) dog food in Australia is pretty expensivem but i've found a site - www.pawsonly.com.au that sells premium foods like DVP and Eaglepack cheaper than other places... AND they deliver to your door.

have a read of the sticky post and you will be surprised.

Secondly, NEVER give cooked bones... they splinter. i know a dog that died from choking on a cooked chicken wing.

Always give them raw!

You can give them raw fruits and vegies (sometimes i even give Patch left over roast vegies)
Don't give them Tomatos, onions, or grapes.

and yes, i baby Patch...... but so does my husband!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.