Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we took Mench for another walk and this time it was a long one. We played in the cul-de-sac and I don't know how it happend but he has dime size sores on both his back feet. I have soaked them in Epsom salt and tried to bandage them but he keeps chewing and licking at them. I have given him aspirin too. I feel horrible. I didn't even realize it until we got home and there was blood all over the floor. Any other advice?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
He must have had some tender paw pads that rubbed raw from the activity. Maybe you could just restrict his activity until they start to heal, or only let him out on soft surfaces like grass for limited periods. I can't think of anything to stop him from licking the bandage, except maybe the dreaded e-collar.

You need to be careful with aspirin. I've seen it make some dogs itchy, and overdosing is highly dangerous. The dose for my 50 pound golden retriever was 1/4 tab, so Mench would need even less than that (maybe an eighth).

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
A friend of mine has a dog that had soft paws and she had to get some sort of cream from the Vet to get her dogs paws to callus. He kept tearing them...But once she started putting the cream on them she did not have a problem anymore. I would call the Vet to see if they carry it or call the petstore to get some....I looked at petsmart but I did not see anything like it..Sorry I don't know the name

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beetle said:
He must have had some tender paw pads that rubbed raw from the activity. Maybe you could just restrict his activity until they start to heal, or only let him out on soft surfaces like grass for limited periods. I can't think of anything to stop him from licking the bandage, except maybe the dreaded e-collar.

You need to be careful with aspirin. I've seen it make some dogs itchy, and overdosing is highly dangerous. The dose for my 50 pound golden retriever was 1/4 tab, so Mench would need even less than that (maybe an eighth).
These are low dose 325mg so I gave him about 150mg last night. He slept fine but he tip toes around the house. It was both back feet. I feel so bad. He just wants to sleep so I put him on my bed with Glen. He didn't potty last night at all and hardly ate this morning. I am gonna give him a day more then we are going to the vet. They don't look as red as they did yesterday but he still licks. At least he isn't chewing. That was my fear. My little tenderfoot!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My dogs feet get like that in the summer from swimming and running around the pool playing. It is a mess and it has been happening for years! Like they never get tougher like you would expect from so much. BUT~They have always healed generally fast, so he should be ok in a day or two. We put Aloe on their feet before going to sleep at night. just alittle, not poisonous, and if they lick it off, they dont usually get it all and they heal alittle by morning.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Dexter was having some feet problems, we ran the gauntlet of treatments, and then, our vet gave us Malaseb Pledgets. The are medicated pads that we wipe his feet with. Within a week, no more blood.....and they are almost completely healed.

60 pledgets were $15.72 from my vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.