Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently Kate has become ill recently and rawhide bones are to blame. I never knew they were somehow bad. What's the scoop?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eww, that sounds gross. I guess beef marrow bones would be a better bet?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
When swallowed in large chucks, rawhide just sits in the digestive tract expanding and collecting bacteria. They're also full of chemicals (the white ones are white because they are bleached).
yup this is exactly what happened. Kate loves her Nylabone but Page has an instant interest in it when we give it to Kate so it is put up while at home.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kate said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
When swallowed in large chucks, rawhide just sits in the digestive tract expanding and collecting bacteria. They're also full of chemicals (the white ones are white because they are bleached).
yup this is exactly what happened. Kate loves her Nylabone but Page has an instant interest in it when we give it to Kate so it is put up while at home.
So, are you saying a nylabone is different from a rawhide?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well I learned this the hard way.... there are different "levels" of the nylabone. There is one very hard one, I usually get it at walmart and I went to their site to get a picture of it and can't find it. And this one Kate has had for over 6 months and hasn't even chewed through half of it. and then I got one that was suppose to clean teeth and she ate it in minutes and got the runs from it. So that is how I found out about the different strengths of them

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But it is still different than rawhide? Are they the ones that look more "plastic"?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I would never give any of those types of chews, to scary for me. I will give a frozen raw marrow bone, or somehting like that, but anything else scares me.

Edit to add: Sometimes I do give smoked beef tendons, they are really chewy, dogs really like them as well.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Lisa said:
I wouldn't give my dogs nylabones either. I have heard horror stories about those too.
Must be the softer nylabones then I'm assuming because they all say nylabone on them. but the one Kate has, and she is a big chewer, we had one before, she had it a year and didnt even make it half way through it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts