Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my dog some dental chews, it looks like rawhide, smells like rawhide but it doesnt say rawhide. It says its 70% crude protein, 2.5% crude fat, 2.5% crude fiber, 22% moisture. Now my main concern is I have given my dog a couple and they have been disapearing, well today I realized how. He chews them and gets them all sogey them swollows them whole! I am guessing its not causing him any trouble because he has eaten atleast two others. Should I stop giving them to him? I tried giving him a dentabone that says there irrestable, but he only licks it a little and doesnt chew on it. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Does it have an ingredients listing? If he's swallowing them whole, I would quit giving them to him. Chewies like that (whether it's rawhide or not) are notorious for causing intestinal blockages. Bully sticks (dried, smoke bull penises) are excellent chewies that are fully digestable. In my limited experience with my two dogs, raw bones (femur bones, knuckle bones, etc.) that you can get at a butcher's shop are the best for cleaning teeth. You just have to watch out for chipped teeth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
I can't give Bogart raw hides because he would swallow large chunks and I just don't want to take the risk. I used to give him greenies, but he swallowed large pieces of it and I'd find green chunks of it in his poop. :shock:

I would go with Leeann.Bella.Remy's suggestion with the raw bones. Bogart has several of those and he loves them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Bogart said:
I can't give Bogart raw hides because he would swallow large chunks and I just don't want to take the risk. I used to give him greenies, but he swallowed large pieces of it and I'd find green chunks of it in his poop. :shock:

I would go with Leeann.Bella.Remy's suggestion with the raw bones. Bogart has several of those and he loves them!
I'm anxious to see what Bella's and Remy's teeth will look like as they get older. Growing up, I had a beagle/Basset Hound mix, but he never got any kind of dental treats, so his teeth looked pretty bad when he died a couple of years ago. I want vets to have no idea how old my dogs are by looking at their teeth. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Does it have an ingredients listing? If he's swallowing them whole, I would quit giving them to him. Chewies like that (whether it's rawhide or not) are notorious for causing intestinal blockages. Bully sticks (dried, smoke bull penises) are excellent chewies that are fully digestable. In my limited experience with my two dogs, raw bones (femur bones, knuckle bones, etc.) that you can get at a butcher's shop are the best for cleaning teeth. You just have to watch out for chipped teeth.
Ingredients:
beefhide, potassium sorbate, dextrose*, poultry digest, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, primary dried yeast, glucose oxidase, dried whey protein concentrate.

So you got me worried talking about blockages, but from my nutritional experiece I would think he can digest this with ease. I was a little surprised with the whey protein in the end. I drink protein shakes every day (powerlifter) and have thought about if they added whey into dog food. I would think it could be benificial to dogs. So he will digest this and be fine right? he has done it twice before, I just didnt realize he was swollowing them whole. :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
BigMack said:
Ingredients:
beefhide, potassium sorbate, dextrose*, poultry digest, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, primary dried yeast, glucose oxidase, dried whey protein concentrate.
Beefhide = rawhide
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck. Well you know the rest. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
BigMack said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
BigMack said:
Ingredients:
beefhide, potassium sorbate, dextrose*, poultry digest, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, primary dried yeast, glucose oxidase, dried whey protein concentrate.
Beefhide = rawhide
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck. Well you know the rest. Thanks again.
Haha...no problem! I occasionally let my dogs chew on rawhide (that I purchase at a premium pet store so I know they aren't all chemically and nasty), but I literally sit right next to them as they're chewing to make sure they're not breaking off any pieces and swallowing them. I guess rawhide swells to more than double in size in the digestive track. Scary!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Patch does the same thing. He chews on them til they go all soggy and he eats them!
He's only 5 months old.... should i stop giving him these??? we give him meaty bones too and he ends up eating this in the end! is that bad?? He also chews on his special chew toys..... but i'm worried about this rawhide thing now!

it just seems that everything I give him he ends up eating!

why is raw hide such a big thing in pet stores etc, and people go on about how good it is, if it can actually block the intestine??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
Some dogs are fine with them. My dad has always given his dogs rawhides and he has never had a problem. But none of his dogs were gulpers like mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
PLEASE STOP FEEDING THEM TO HIM!!

Our family dogs were always okay with rawhides... they would eat them over the course of a week or so and would never swallow them

Kate on the other hand would do EXACTLY what your dogs are doing. She eats it constantly until it is swallowable. sometimes she tries swallowing it and has to cough it back up and then keeps chewing.

One day she started getting the runs. We didn't think nothing of it until I was taking her out ever two hours during the middle of the night and she would have diarreaha and sometimes she had still gone in her cage. Turned out, the rawhides were not digestable by her stomach and so they just sat there causing a bacteria infection. She almost had to go into the "hospital" because she had gotten so sick from it

Sometimes if someones over that doesn't like dogs, I will give Kate one just to keep her occupied, but the min she gets half way through it, its gone. but I've only done this twice since she had gotten so sick.

Also.... how do the raw hides get their whiteish color? bleach.... healthy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I'd probably go with the nylabone digestable. Not the plastic ones but the other kind. My dog seems to be able to chew them down and they may be more digestable than rawhide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
I gave Kate a "nylabone" that was suppose to clean teeth. Little did I know that Nylabones come in different "strengths". well this one, they are suppose to chew through and she did, very quickly. That night she had soft green poo. I will never give Kate another "digestable" chew again. The hard Nylabones are it, and she loves them tho
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top