Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they ok to give to an 11 week old OEB under supervision? I know they aren't supposed to be given while unsupervised but are they just unhealthy period?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I let Bear & Molly chew on raw hides. But when they start to get a mushy piece I take the bone from them and cut the mush off so they don't ingest it then give it back. They never have them when they are unsupervised.

As far as pig ears I find they chew up too quickly. I buy the Porky Chews made by Merrick. They are all natural. I buy them online on their website www.merrickpetcare.com. Shipping is free within the US. And it's 1/2 the cost of buying them at the pet store.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Go easy on the pig ears, though. they have alot of fat in them.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Bella chewed on rawhides all the time when she was that age. Well, she really just scraped her teeth on them...haha. When she got to the ages when she started chewing on them and getting them mushy, I started giving her bully sticks. They're so much healthier and digestable. The dogs get pig ears every once in a while, but they're devoured instantly. Such a waste of money!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have an AB she is 4 months old so she still can have them.... she can't chew ears or hides up that fast yet so I still let her have them

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I've used them, but, along with a high possibility of choking with the rawhides, they can also harbor E. coli and should be used with caution especially if you have kids in the home too. Some dogs react very badly and get diarrhea with either product. The pig ears are very fatty and can cause pancreatitis. They do go quickly too.
I've found the best alternatives are stuffed kongs and also Nylabones. Be sure to get the right size for your dog!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot for all the replies i'm gonna pick up some bully sticks cause he is already able to chew up pig ears and turn them into mush....he's getting cut off!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts