Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my dog eats good and he just loves to excercise. Ive always known he was skinny, but now you can see each individual muscle rips in his back, and the veins in his legs and everything like that is popping out. Today we just got him back from the kennel on our vacation and he was sitting on the couch next to me and i could see complete definition on his muscles. I want him to put on weight, i feed him a mixture of about 3/4 eukanuba and iams both for puppies hes 9 months old and weighs 53 lbs. What can i do to help him gain weight.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
First I would do would be to put him on a high quality kibble. The foods you are feeding him are full of fillers with no nutritional value. So when he ingests the food, it just goes right through his system doing nothing for him. Once you change foods you should start noticing a difference fairly quickly since he will begin getting the things he needs.

Check out the Dog Food sticky at the top of this section for a list of different foods that have already been rated.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I agree with both of them. First, change his kibble to something more nutritional. Then, as a supplement, satin balls can put weight on a dog fast. Good luck with him. Can we see some pics of him?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Definitely change his food. Check out the food rating sticky on the Health & Exercise forum for some better food suggestions.

Just based on your description your dog sounds healthy, not underweight. You should be able to see veins and muscle definition. The dog is only too skinny if you can see skeletal structure (other than the ribs and MAYBE a bump or two on the spine) protruding, especially the hip bones. An APBT should have a build like a light or middleweight fighter: lean with defined musculature, strong and wirey.

Post a picture though, please!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
Definitely change his food. Check out the food rating sticky on the Health & Exercise forum for some better food suggestions.

Just based on your description your dog sounds healthy, not underweight. You should be able to see veins and muscle definition. The dog is only too skinny if you can see skeletal structure (other than the ribs and MAYBE a bump or two on the spine) protruding, especially the hip bones. An APBT should have a build like a light or middleweight fighter: lean with defined musculature, strong and wirey.

Post a picture though, please!
Good post. I agree to first switching to a high quality dog food. That's a basic necessity.

However, as Chrisnjen said, the APBT is supposed to be an athlete therefore having the build of one. On ALL of my dogs, the ribs are easily felt with some being visible & all have distinct muscle tone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi, im a new member but i have a pitbull terrrier and shes very skinny as well, you see i feed her three times a day and i even put a little raw meet in there to fatten her up but after every meal she runs off everything she just ate. SO what im doing is giving her more fatening things combined with nutrition. for three meals i feed her the same, i feed her a cup of raw beef (never feed dogs prok there stomachs cant handle it) with rice and kibble and sometimes i out some warm gravy in there. shes starting to faten up but shes not gonna settle down till shes two and shes not even one yr old yet![/b]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I believe one of the posts on here said to never feed raw and kibble together. Someone more knowledgable might want to comment on this. I am far from an expert.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Actually it depends on the breed of the dog like pitbulls its oki but things like a lab are too far away from the woldf chain. You see i have a Purebread Malamute and she cant handle ANYTHING but raw meet. anyway there is no preoblem with mixing kibble with meet because its bascically like you cant just feed ur dog raw meet its not enough thats why you put kibble in with it or in my cas rice.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It was said that they don't digest them at the same rate which is why you shouldn't feed them together. As for feeding only meat, a lot of people on here feed a raw diet and they say its the best. It isn't all meat, but there is no kibble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts