Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the weird question, but some advice might save us a vet trip.

Philo has been really concerned about her rear end lately. Like trying to bite at her tail, closest part to the anus.
When we lift up her tail, it has a funky odor and she definitely doesn't like us checking things out.
She doesn't do the scoot, but I am wondering if this could be an anal glad issue? Can anyone provide insight?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
havoc said:
Sorry for the weird question, but some advice might save us a vet trip.

Philo has been really concerned about her rear end lately. Like trying to bite at her tail, closest part to the anus.
When we lift up her tail, it has a funky odor and she definitely doesn't like us checking things out.
She doesn't do the scoot, but I am wondering if this could be an anal glad issue? Can anyone provide insight?

Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like anal gland to me! Especially since shes trying to get at it and the fact that it doesnt smell so hot!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sounds like anal gland issues. Is her stool okay? When the stool isn't hard enough it doesn't stimulate the anal glands on it's way out so they can become impacted. Or allergies (food or environmental) can also cause this.

You can try to express them yourself (NOT a fun job, very stinky, and if you get it on you or something you own the smell will NEVER disappear) or just call the vet and let them know you need to have her anal glands emptied. They can also show you the best way to empty them if you want so that you can do it at home.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Heidi had the same problem. We had to have the glands cleared and now she's totally fine. Don't let it go though because they can get an absess (sp?) that is really painfull like a hemoroid.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
Heidi had the same problem. We had to have the glands cleared and now she's totally fine. Don't let it go though because they can get an absess (sp?) that is really painfull like a hemoroid.
Yeah I was working one day when grooming rushed in a maltese who's anal sacs had burst because they absessed and the elderly owner hadn't noticed. OUCH OUCH OUCH!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts