Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone technically this is my first post although i have been registered on this forum before for a short period of time, I lost all internet conection for along time and i havent been able to log into my email account to get my old details back.. Anyways back to the question I have spent along time reading through the forum over the last few weeks, Im hopeing my question will not stire up any negative responces.
I have a 17 month old female pedigree staffordshire bullterrier, Shes my best mate in the whole world and my wife considers her as a daughter, As you can imagine she gets very spoilt.
My bro has a 15 year old male staffy he looks like a pedigree he is all staffy, Although no papers as he came from a shelter, Also a friend has a very hansome male pedigree staff who is a year old, To watch my dog and his dog play together you could be mistaken for them trying to kill each other, How a bitch like mine look so cute and then go on to hold her own in a staffy play fight is amazing to me.. Anyways, My wife mentioned to me the other day that she is very scared of loosing our staff cassie, Although she is only young and she has her whole life ahead of her I guess when you love somthing that much you tend to think to the other side of the spectrum and get frightened that you will loose them one day.
My wife sugested about breeding Cassie one day so that we could always have a part of cassie in the pups bloodline, So after reading all of the posts on here about people who should not breed staffs unless thier staff has a good solid bloodline or is a working dog ect, And all the people who belive thier dog is very special so they should breed them ect.. I know my staff is not a AM so does this still include our staff? But what about in this occasion Where my wife and i love our dog so much that we would love to have a part of cassies left behind. If she had a litter of 8 pups we would not be able to keep them all, Also I know that people might have a moan at me about adding to the already over flowing community of pets.. But staffs are the most amazing pets ever lovable massive personalities, excellent with familys also protective of thier homes.. I know i purposly went after buying a staff because i know from experience that they make excellent pets, And i would have no interest in my staffy becomming a working dog or show dog.. So maybe alot of other out thier will be thinking the same so im sure thier is a great demand for staffy pets. I got cassie when she was 7 months old and id love to have a few pups running around the place playing and causing mayhem.. :shock:
Anyway please be nice to me in your replys remember if i dont ask i wont learn anything and atleast i ask advise before going ahead with anything.:D Nothing will happen for the next few years anyway..

Any replys will be definatly noted..
Cheers Andy

·
Registered
297 Posts
When you have a few years, you should go for THE BEST! your female has a pedigree, so learn more about the breed and find The Best Male you can get! Don't look at males in your family or neighborhood, find one who fit to her, talk to Cassies breeder who has the knowledge. It's a lot of work and money to show her, to work her and to check her health. To show her, will help you to figure out what is her goal and what kind of confirmation mistakes does she has, so you are able to find a male who will fix her mistakes. To have a part of cassie is surly not a reason to breed, but right now you don't know does she is worth it to be bred.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Andy!

I think it's just great that you love your dog so much, as I love my dogs equally. They just enrich your life don't they? :D
Breeding though, is serious business. and not something to be taken lightly.
I have to say right ahead that wanting a pup from your pet is not a good reason to breed. I do understand your reasoning though. You have the perfect dog (for you), and you want 1) to prolong that expericence, 2) to give other people the opportunity to experience the same. I know it's a noble thought, but it isn't always that easy.
I'll try to sum up my points for you, and I'm not judging you. I think it is really good that you are looking for information before you make this decision, not many do. It just means that you're open to listening to what people have to say. Good for you and Cassie!

1) There is a HUGE overpopulation-problem in the US. There are literarily millions of dogs being put to sleep every year because there just aren't enough homes for them. Dogs just like yours and mine are actually dying. It's such a tragedy i don't even know where to start. A lot of that is due to people who are breeding dogs without having thought it through very well. So if you decide to breed, please ensure that you have homes for all the pups Cassie might have, and then som. And be sure to know that the puppy-buyers really know how much time and work a dog is before you sell them one. You have no idea how many "perfect puppy-buyers" surrender their pets to the local pound because they just did not know what they were getting themselves into. Talk to some people involved in rescues to find out how many puppies that were never sold that they have to find homes for.
Also, you have to be ready to take back any puppy at any time of their life. You brought them into this world, and you are responsible for them from then on. I know, it sounds really harsh, but I mean it. If all breeders (if you have a litter, you're a breeder) took back dogs that owner couldn't keep for whatever reaon, we wouldn't have such issues with overpopulation and dead dogs.

2) Although she might be the perfect pet for you, no dog is perfect. The hardest thing about breeding is having to take a long, hard look at your dog to discover it's flaws. Every dog has them, and they need to be identified, do you can breed away from them. That means you have to find a male for Cassie that strengthens her weaknesses, and where she strengthens his. Easier said than done. Seriously, it really is very hard.

You also have to do extensive research into her pedigree, find out her ancestors flaws (healthwise and temperamentwise). Her siblings. Her parents siblings. Etc, etc. Just think about it. What if some of Cassies offspring gets crippeling hip dysplasia, og horrible allergies. And then you find out that 4 of her siblings are suffering from the same. It would give you such heartache to know that all of that could have been preventable if you've only done your research, you know?
Not to mention the worrying and expenses it would cause the puppies owners, maybe they even have to put their pet to sleep because of unsound temperament or healthissues. Believe me, I know what it feels like. Unfortunately.
Researching a pedigree is the least to be expected. Even though Cassie herself is very healthy, she is a product of her ancestors and she could very well give bad genes to her offspring while not exhibiting problems herself.

3) Healthtesting. You have to do it. Test for genetic deseases like hip dysplasia (OFA or PennHip), check her elbows, her eyes, heart, thyroid. There is a desease STBs are prone to that is called L2-HGA (L2 hydroxyglutaric aciduria), which is determined by a simple DNA-test. Please do that, it has horrible symptomes like demensia, nervousness and ataxia. Even though Cassie does not have symptomes of the desease, she might carry the gene as is it inherited recessively.
Find you what healthissues the STB is prone to, and check for them. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if some of the puppies got life-threatening deseases that could have been prevented if you only checked for them.

4) Temperament-testing. Since BSL is popping up everywhere you look, temperament-testing the breedingstock is very important.
To see the real temperament of a dog it has to be put under some pressure. Pressure they do not normally experience to see how they handle these situations, and what choices the dog makes. You say that Cassie is protective. I have to say that that is not typical STB temperament. They have been bred for an exeptional love for people for hundreds of years, and are actually known to be bad protectors. You should really consider temperament-testing her before breding her. I'm not saying she's a bad dog or anything, I'm just saying she should have proper STB temperament if you chose to breed her.
A CGC or ATTS is easily obtained and although they don't really pressure your dog, it's the least one should demand of breedingstock.

5) Conformation/Working-titles. I have to bring this up even although you said you are not wanting to do either of these. I just want to shed some light onto why it is of such importance.
So I have to ask you, why did you chose a STB? is it because of their looks, their mentality, and their temperament? I'm sure it is. They are definitely an utterly charming breed, such little sweethearts! Just think about all the work, time, blood, sweat and tears that made this breed. There is a reason why it's such a distinctive breed. They were bred for ability, temperament and an exterior that matches those qualities. It's been hundreds of years of breeding true to type to give you that amazing dog you are lucky to share your life with. Why not honour that by making sure you are making more GOOD STBs? The only way to know if she is a great STB is to go out there and put her up against more good STBs and see how she does. If she doesn't measure up, it doesn't lower her value to you does it? No, it just means you probably shouldn't breed her.

6) You say you want to keep her lagacy going. Her offspring might be NOTHING like her. Just think about the differences within a litter! Just think of your siblings and you. Are you exactly like your parents? You have a better chance of getting an adult rescue-dog that recembles Cassie more than having a litter off her. And let's face it, you would never love a dog less just because it wasn't related to Cassie would you?
All dogs are special in their own way. I own the perfect pet, you own the perfect pet. I'm sure everyone on this board would argue they have the perfect pet. And if we were to breed them all, what would happen then? You see what i'm saying? It simply cannot be done! And I'm pretty sure you'd have trouble convincing anyone on this board that Cassie is more unique that any of our dogs. ;) Bottom line is, she is more unique to you. And enjoy her for it! It doesn't mean that you should breed her if you catch my drift?

7) Risks. So many things could go wrong, and worst case scenario you could lose your dog and her pups. I'd be devestated! Do you have money for a emergency C-section? Do you know what signs to look for if she has trouble during labour? If not, find out before you breed her. Not long ago I read on PBF of a woman who bred her conformation/agility/temperament-titled STB. She had eight pups, but only one lived after three weeks. Very traumatizing! And I have read far worse stories. Mummydogs dieing during labour and the owners having to bottlefeed pups every two hours for weeks and week only to see one pup after another fading away. I've applauded responible owners who were doing the work, and cried with them as the pups didn't make it. It's heartbreaking, and I wasn't even there.

Ofcourse none of these things guarantee perfect pups, it's always a gamble. You could also end up with a good litter not doing any of these things. But why chance it? You would per definition be a backyard breeder, and doG knows we have enough of those. Not to mention Cassie deserves better.
So my advice would be to get your girl spayed, so that she doesn't get pyometra or cancer or other ailments to her reproductive organs that actually kills dogs. Enjoy your sweet girl for as long as you are lucky enough to have her, and search long and hard for an equally great dog when you are ready for it. You have a better chance of getting what you want that way.
Be responsible, don't breed your dog unless you have proven her to be an exceptional specimen of the breed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
With all respect, Cassie might be a good egg out of a litter of ten, so The other siblings might carry traits not so desirable. A pedigree does not mean its a good dog to breed. I know a breeder that has grand champion purple ribbon UkC show dogs. They are good in the ring but you walk up behind them and they spook, I see fear biters all over her dogs and she sells them for 1500 and up. This is just an example of champion bloodlines with noticable flaws , but are continually bred for the breeders purpose of having the most dogs win in the dog show. There are so many sources available for research on Pedigree and Breeding, Look to those sources for your information, as the previous poster suggested , contact your breeder hopefully they can help. God Bless you. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts