Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been lurking around here for the past few weeks and have found all of the information everyone leaves on here is really helpfull! I just got my AB almost two weeks ago and shes a blast. The day we got her she weighed in at 15lbs at 8 weeks. I took her back to the vet 4 days later and she was at 17.2lbs! She eats like crazy, her previous owner was feeding the litter pedigree and would wet it down. The day i got her i started mixing in royal canin large breed puppy so i could get her off of the pedigree stuff. She ate up the food like it was going out of style and always tries to go after my other puppies bowl as soon as shes done. But yesterday and today she hasnt been eating normal. Her stool is fine, nothing runny or ugly, at times it can be soft but i figured thats normal due to the food change. She eats almost 4 cups a day plus whatever she manages to steal from my other dog. Yesterday she ate in the morning and let some of her food, came back a few minutes later and finished it. Last night she did the same only she didnt want to finish what she left, she was also starting to chew her food, which is a good thing, only i would like her to eat all of it. Normally she attacks the bowl and inhales everything, then i have to deal with burping and farting for a few hours. This morning she looked at her bowl then walked away. Shes been playing and barking like normal, i havent seen any changes in the way she acts. Should i be worried about her? its just so weird to have her eat so much then not want anything. i hope im just freaking out, she has an appointment with the vet tomorrow to get her second shots so ill mention it to them. She also has a lump on her tail, the vet said it was just an infection and gave her a cream, didnt turn out to be a ring worm. It doesnt look like its getting any better or worse, but i think the cream might be irritating her skin, could that lump be something more severe? By the way her name is Harley, i noticed theres another Harley on these boards also. Hi!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Welcome!!! I'm glad you finally decided to speak up!

First thing that comes to mind is she is getting used to having food around now and is just getting picky. esepcailly since she is still active. She is still a puppy but good chance she is starting to test you... AB's are good at that!!

Try taking the food away when she walks away from it and don't give it back to her until the next feeding time. If she is just being picky, she will eventually eat and not starve herself. Might take a few days but she will eat.

If she starts acting lethargic or anything of the sort and hasn't eaten in over 2 or 3 days then I would be concerned that something is wrong and it's not just her being picky

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. ive been doing the food thing with them, i feed twice a day and take it up. but ive never had to take it up with food still in the bowl, i hope shes just testing me. i went home during my lunch break to let them outside, she didnt want any food, but she sure did eat the treat i gave her. she was acting a little different, shes still playing around but not as aggressive. i just want my little girl to be ok. ive already had to go through losing one AB, and now anything i see wrong with my girls i freak out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
she had one done when she got her 1st shots, vet said the litter had round worms and they were put on meds. when i took her last week the vet gave us more meds to make sure the worms are gone. im taking her to the vet tomorrow, so im going to ask that another fecal be done. i just noticed my other pup had a little wet poop tonight, so im going to have them both checked.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Welcome aboard - another thing to know is that it does not take as much food to fill them when it is a high quality food. On a high quality food, at her wieght, 2 cups shoud be sufficent. Most people on here feed their adult dogs 3 to 4 cups, so a pup would eat less but more often. Spread that out over the day. Good that you are taking her to the vet for a check and at that time discuss her food amount with the vet. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
gazar said:
Welcome aboard - another thing to know is that it does not take as much food to fill them when it is a high quality food. On a high quality food, at her wieght, 2 cups shoud be sufficent. Most people on here feed their adult dogs 3 to 4 cups, so a pup would eat less but more often. Spread that out over the day. Good that you are taking her to the vet for a check and at that time discuss her food amount with the vet. :D
Is it true that higher quality food fills a puppy up faster? If so, that would make me feel better. My pup was on a low res diet while recovering from being sick. I have been transiitoning her over to Royal Canin Med puppy and she seems to be eating less. She did finish all of her breakfast this morning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just got back from the vet, she got her 2nd vaccines and a fecal done, also checked for parvo. last night her stool was very watery, so i think its safe to say shes sick. the fecal came back fine, they didnt find any parasites or worms and she doesnt have parvo. they gave us medication for gastroenteritis and said to put her on a low res food for a few days, then put her back on royal canin. Icon, the vet said exactly what you just asked. The pedigree stuff is full of fillers and things that are really beneficial to the pup, so they will eat more of it. And something like Royal Canin the pup will eat less of but get more things needed out of it. Harley ate a little on her own this morning, not much but it was better then yesterday. She was also playing outside with the neighbors dog, it was the first time ive seen her show her teeth and growl. Hopefully this will clear up in a few days. She has me really freaked out, my last AB died from distemper and im hoping she didnt leave anything behind for my other pups. So any little thing i see wrong has me worried right now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation about the food.
Sorry to hear about losing your other but best of luck with your puppy.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Well glad that all went well at the vet and that she just has a little tummy problem. Could be from the food switch. Some dogs do not handle switching food very well. But you have switched her to a good food and she will get used to it. Hugs for your pup. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts