Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heidi's ear flap gets really red and kinda stiff every once in a while and it seems really painful. I was wondering if anybody else's dogs have this problem or if anybody might know what the problem is. I took her to the vet for it last time and they gave me some medicine but when they did a culture on the ear canal, there wasn't an infection. She doesn't seem to have yeast or a lot of wax buildup, it's just the flap part that is inflamed. She scratches it constantly and that makes it worse, of course. I put some zymox with hydrocortisone drops in a couple of minutes ago so hopefully this will help. It's just a bummer.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what that looks like. The vet mentioned that it wasn't one of those last time but I guess it's possible that she could have one now. I'll do a search to see what that looks like. It's not hot to the touch, I don't know if that means anything. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Jen's mom's dog had some kind of blockage in her ear flap that started out sorta like you're describing. After a while her whole ear flap swelled to like an inch thick and she had to have surgery. Poor thing looked like she had a wonton attached to her head.

I'm not saying I think that's what it is, just something you might want to ask the vet about.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It sure sounds like a hemotoma, dogs get those from shaking their heads alot. This makes blood pool in their ear flaps, which harden them and turn them red inside. Eventually they end up growing "golf balls" within them.

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
Are dogs allergic to poison ivy? I had no idea..

How ya doin? :D
I was reading this article and it stated that although dogs are resistant to the poisons
they can still have skin irritation, etc. I was thinking that it would be easy for the
inside flap to come in contact with the poison Ivy or Poison Oak as they are sniffing around.
and keep getting it until it is pulled up.
:wink:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/poison-ivy-and-poison-oak/page1.aspx[/b]

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm extremely allergic to poison ivy and always catch it from my dogs. LOL. I had no idea they can get it too, good for them maybe they'd stop going in the bushes. LMAO!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will post some photos tonight. Thanks for all the replies. After I posted this, I got to thinkin and while I was doing this the dogs got to wrestlin and I realized that Chico really likes to grab Heidi by the ears. I think he may have scratched them or irritated them. I put some zymax with hydrocortisone in the canal and it doesn't seem to be bothering her as much but I may make an appointment just in case. She has a bump on her elbow that won't go away and I'm kinda worried about that. I'll post a photo while I'm at it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts