Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Deuce, as I am guessing most English Bullies, has an insatisfiable need for water. Two problems, peeing and yackin' it all up. His is about 5 and a half months and will chug down a whole bowl of water first thing in the morning, only to leave a streak of upchuck across the floor for overdoing it. He is also still in the housebreaking stage, while doing well, is still having "accidents" when filling his bladder I feel bad for taking the water away from him and telling him no after quenching his thirst, but its a bit crazy. I take him out all the time just to make sure he doesn't relieve himself as he does not really signal that he needs to go. Is it wrong to regulate the water intake, or any clever ideas to help?

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Don't feel sorry for him. Many puppies drink out of habit and boredom rather than necessity. Put the bowl up and offer him water periodically throughout the day rather than allowing him free access. Also, no need to allow him to drink a whole bowl. There is no need for it unless he has a medical condition which I guess is possible but I do doubt it. I honestly think its just a habit and your best bet is just limiting his water intake. I do this with any puppy I bring home, unless of course they are spending the day outside in their kennel in which case I leave them a bucket of water. Do you leave food down all the time too?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do leave food accessible. He nibbles throughout the day when out of the kennel, however, we switches his food to early and will be switching back to puppy chow. He doesn't overdo it on the food. I tried the periodic feeding but he ate little and was always more interested in the the water. He gets quite a bit of milk bones as part of positive reinforcement for relieving himself outside. I have taken his water away for the past few weeks due to this but just wanted to make sure it wasn't jeopardizing growth and health even though he's still kickin and chewin.

· Registered
62 Posts
I have the same problem with Prince. Sometimes he drinks so much water that it comes right back out. I don't leave his water bowl full all day long, I usually give it to him periodically. Lately when he drinks his water I have been watching him and when I think his thirst is quenched and he's had enough I don't take his water from him but I direct his attention to something else like a toy, treat, etc. It seems to be working pretty good.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Leaving food down all the time is a big no no. He should be eating when the food is offered and that's it. You should call the shots at meal time, not him.

I am not a fan of feeding puppies from bowls but if you insist, I would put the bowl down and if he doesn't start eating immediately or stops mid way through, take the bowl away! Black and White. If he was a mature adult I would say don't offer again until the next meal time but since he's a growing puppy I would try again in a few hours. This is a crucial time and you want to imprint your puppy right. Leaving food down all the time is allowing him to manipulate you. Would you let your child leave their partially eaten breakfast on the table to nibble at all day long? I doubt it so why is it ok to allow a dog to get away with that? They should eat what and when is offered or go hungry. If you allow them to "pick" all day you can create a finicky eater which there are many threads on this board about. This topic is a real pet peeve of mine.

I would ditch the milk bones for now, and reward with his kibble. Subtract what kibble you use for rewards in training from his daily meal ration. I prefer feeding ALL my puppies food from my hand through training but realize not everyone is willing to do this.

ps how much kibble are you putting down per day?

· Registered
42 Posts
If he is drinking it to fast, (my boy tries to sometimes also), just back him up from it and take it away for a little bit, then try again in about 30 min. In the meantime, let him out to empty his bladder he just filled.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have always allowed my dogs to help themselves to food whenever they want as long as they are moderatly active, as has been my previous dogs: beagles and german shepards. Deuce is very active since he is young, and when he slows down, if I notice him gaining undue weight etc I will address it and feed accordingly , however, that is how I have always done it. Probably not the correct way in a lot of eyes, but its served well from past history.
I've been filling his bowl with small portions of water and I have also been pulling him away. He hasn't yacked the past couple days so I reckon its going in the positive direction. Maybe grow out of it.......

· Registered
9,125 Posts
When Zeus was a little guy I always regulated his water as I found it cruel to expect him to hold it while crated or overnight. Now that he is a big boy I give him free access to water, he never messes in the house.

· Registered
29 Posts
My male english did the exact same thing. You just gotta regulate it for awhile until he gets house broken. Then you can allow him to drink more. As for as yacking it all up goes, mine still does that with food as well. He eats so damn fast and drinks and will yack it. You could try picking up the bowl to slow him down, make him sit and then give it to him again. Although I don't usually do this. I just let him yack it, it doesn't happen every time he eats.

· Registered
380 Posts
My dogs all drink out of water bottles like the ones made for rodents. The ones that I have are just nozzles that you put on the end of a 2L pop bottle, they lick it to get water. I was having problems with my foster dogs gulping too much water and then puking it all up or knocking water dishes over. I have the water bottles attached to their crates and leave the doors open when they aren't in there, they can go in and drink when they want to and it's hard for them to over drink.

This is similar to one that I have, but the others are just 2L bottles with the attachment on the bottom.

· Registered
9,125 Posts
Nerdrock, that's interesting I didn't even know they made those bottles for dogs (and it's my business), Zero could have used something like that. He used to gulp his food down then fill himself up with water then puke. I switched him to Orijen from Nutro which stopped the puking and limited his water intake.

· Registered
380 Posts
Paul - they sell them at Petsmart, I think the big ones are around $15. I got that one as a Christmas gift a few years ago because my parents were worried that my dachshund wasn't getting water when I was gone to work. She took to it right away. When I started fostering I found the spout part at a farm supply store (TSC) and picked up a couple. All of the dogs 'got it' within a few hours. A few times I've had to touch the tip with their nose or my fingers so they see that water comes out, but after watching the other dogs do it they get the idea. I did have a border collie that liked to chew on his so it would drip but I just put a towel in his crate since he didn't bother with those.

I would love to see them at Global stores, Global seems to be cheaper for most things and offer better quality stuff than Petsmart :)

· Registered
9,125 Posts
Paul - they sell them at Petsmart, I think the big ones are around $15. I got that one as a Christmas gift a few years ago because my parents were worried that my dachshund wasn't getting water when I was gone to work. She took to it right away. When I started fostering I found the spout part at a farm supply store (TSC) and picked up a couple. All of the dogs 'got it' within a few hours. A few times I've had to touch the tip with their nose or my fingers so they see that water comes out, but after watching the other dogs do it they get the idea. I did have a border collie that liked to chew on his so it would drip but I just put a towel in his crate since he didn't bother with those.

I would love to see them at Global stores, Global seems to be cheaper for most things and offer better quality stuff than Petsmart :)
The other thing we do is customer requests. If we don't carry a product that a customer wants we will bring it in, we have gained allot of business this way. It's interesting you said that as many of our customers have commented on how much cheaper our prices are especially on accessories. Sorry for the thread jack.

· Registered
21 Posts
Here's a water related question as the owner of a new male EB puppy (10 weeks), when we get to the point when we're crating him for 3 or so hours at a time while we're away from the house or at work, do we make water accessible to him in his crate, or just allow him to drink with his morning meal and when we're home and have him out of his crate. I would guess that having water available to him while in his crate would pose a problem of over drinking at not being able to get out to go potty (as mentioned before they will drink out of boredom or just because it's there). So I'm guessing that only offering water to our puppy while he's out of his crate and under our supervision would be best? Thoughts, Comments?
Thanks!

· Registered
7,502 Posts
i wish bella drank more water. it is the oposite with us, the vet even made us change to wet food fot awlile so she would get more water do to crystals.
Why not just add water to the kibble? Canned food is expensive and very low in protein and fat. Not the best form of nutrition, especially when you factor in how much it costs compared to kibble. Adding water seems like a much better alternative imo.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Here's a water related question as the owner of a new male EB puppy (10 weeks), when we get to the point when we're crating him for 3 or so hours at a time while we're away from the house or at work, do we make water accessible to him in his crate, or just allow him to drink with his morning meal and when we're home and have him out of his crate. I would guess that having water available to him while in his crate would pose a problem of over drinking at not being able to get out to go potty (as mentioned before they will drink out of boredom or just because it's there). So I'm guessing that only offering water to our puppy while he's out of his crate and under our supervision would be best? Thoughts, Comments?
Thanks!
My puppies are not given free access to water unless they are spending the day outside. It is not necessary to leave water in the crate imo and can lead to accidents if they drink too much. No puppy is going to dehydrate by not having water for a few hours. Especially if they are lying still in a crate in a climate controlled house.

· Registered
21 Posts
My puppies are not given free access to water unless they are spending the day outside. It is not necessary to leave water in the crate imo and can lead to accidents if they drink too much. No puppy is going to dehydrate by not having water for a few hours. Especially if they are lying still in a crate in a climate controlled house.
That's what I was thinking as well....thanks for the info! :D

· Registered
109 Posts
max thinks hes a camel.i have one of those automatic water dispensers that holds at least a gallon and a half. i have seen him drink at least a third of it in one shot, but then it comes right back up. so we watch him and make sure he takes a break every couple secs. i also think hes getting to much air in - as his water bowl is not elevated. any thoughts on the elevated water bowl?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.