Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea why he would do this?? He used to pee in his crate frequently when he first came to us (we assumed it was because he was kept in his crate so much by his previous owners that he learned to tolerate sitting in his own urine), but now, he only pees in his bed about once a week or so after I've washed his bedding (which is just two fleece blankets on top of each other in his crate.) My husband and I were just gone for about an hour, and Remy went outside right before we put him in his crate. Could our laundry detergent be bothering him? I really don't know what else it would be! Maybe it's just a coincidence that he pees in his bed after we've washed his bedding. *shrugs*

Edit: Maybe washing his bedding in just laundry detergent releases the urine smell that was already in it, and it triggers him to pee on it again. Think that could be it?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Edit: Maybe washing his bedding in just laundry detergent releases the urine smell that was already in it, and it triggers him to pee on it again. Think that could be it?
I will agree with this thought. It used to happen to me, would re-mark his own scent. Try to use unscented detergents if possible and rub the sheets all over him after you wash. I haven't tried that method though so I'm just guessing hehe

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Faith use to do this everytime I washed her bedding also. I started hanging them up instead of drying them and this seemed to help. So with her I wonder if it was the dryer sheets I was using. Don't know for sure though.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
redbull said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
I will agree with this thought. It used to happen to me, would re-mark his own scent. Try to use unscented detergents if possible and rub the sheets all over him after you wash. I haven't tried that method though so I'm just guessing hehe
I was going to suggest rubbing him down with the blankets after they are washed, but redbull beat me to it :lol:

Try washing them with just plain Oxyclean (LOVE that stuff). It will take urine out of darn near anything (i have a cat with bladder issues - plus Tinker was incontinent). It also does not have a scent.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
I think he's trying claim his crate. Heidi and Chico will do that every once in a while with their beds and my cockers used to do that to. It's sort of like grafiti! He wants everyone to know he owns that crate!!!!!
Amber, weren't you the one who once said your dogs had "pee wars" on their beds? LMAO I always remember that phrase. :laughing6:

·
Super Moderator
14,603 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
I think he's trying claim his crate. Heidi and Chico will do that every once in a while with their beds and my cockers used to do that to. It's sort of like grafiti! He wants everyone to know he owns that crate!!!!!

I vote on this theory. Clara will do the same thing. I think when you wash their bedding you are removing their scent and, to them, their scent is what claims their bed as "theirs". So when they lay down on the freshly de-scented bedding, then they feel compelled to mark it with their scent. When I make her a freshly clean bed, she will go in it and root and rub all over it. I thought it was because she enjoyed the fresh bedding, now I think it is so that she can get it back to the way she had it.
:roll: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Kasco said:
Chico.Heidi said:
Amber, weren't you the one who once said your dogs had "pee wars" on their beds? LMAO I always remember that phrase. :laughing6:
Awww yes, the pee wars. Thank God they grew out of that one! It got so bad that Heidi would run up and pee on all of the toys while Chico wasn't looking. When he would go to the toys, he would sniff and look up like, "WTF, oh man, you got me good Heidi!" That's when I knew I had to start moderating the t.v. No more Jackass shows! :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.