Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be worried about this? Everytime Remy walks, something in his legs cracks. It doesn't sound like anything popping out of place, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain. My ankles crack all the time when I walk, so I'm hoping it's just something like that with Remy. I've never heard of cracking joints in dogs, though, so I'm wondering if it's an indication of a serious problem.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Heidi's leg does that every once in a while. I think it's her wrist. Every step she takes, there's a little cracking noise. It doesn't seem to bother her either. I have no idea what it's from.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What you are describing sounds like your dog has Crepitus.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/arthritislearnthebasics/g/crepitus.htm
“What Is Crepitus?”
Glossary

From Carol & Richard Eustice,
Your Guide to Arthritis.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Definition: Crepitus is a clinical symptom in medicine that is characterized by a peculiar crackling, crinkly, or grating feeling or sound under the skin, around the lungs, or in the joints. Crepitus in soft tissues is often due to gas, most often air, that has penetrated and infiltrated an area where it should not normally be (for example, in the soft tissues beneath the skin).

Crepitus in a joint can indicate cartilage wear in the joint space. The term "crepitus" is taken directly from the Latin "crepitus" meaning "a crackling sound or rattle." Typically crepitus is a grinding noise coupled with a sensation in the affected joint. Crepitus can occur with or without pain.

REFERENCE: New Webster's Medical Dictionary, Second Edition, from the Doctors at MedicineNet

Pronunciation: krep-it-us

Also Known As: creaky joints, popping joints

Common Misspellings: crepitis

Examples: The doctor heard sounds of crepitus in my ankle during the examination

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Miakoda! That was very helpful. I hope this isn't an indication of arthritis, but even if it is, we can manage that. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to start supplementing him with Glucosamine and Chondroitin....

·
Registered
161 Posts
My AB Tank's ankle would do this when he trotted.. At first I got freaked out but it sounded more like his ankle and eventually went away...

Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Thank you, Miakoda! That was very helpful. I hope this isn't an indication of arthritis, but even if it is, we can manage that. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to start supplementing him with Glucosamine and Chondroitin....

Hey LeeAnn - it definately could not hurt and it could very well help. If it were me, I would.
We put our dog, Sasha, on them when she was a pup because her joints were not developing
correctly and she is now 12 and still walking, going up and down steps, etc. Good luck.
:D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I was just wondering if this is something that needs to be treated? Heidi gets a lot of popping when she first gets up. I sounds like when people crack their knuckles. She doesn't seem to feel any discomfort from it whatsoever. I've been giving glucosamine for almost a year now and it doesn't seem to affect the popping at all. I get that kind of popping in my ankles and toes too and it doesn't hurt at all.

Amber

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I was just wondering if this is something that needs to be treated? Heidi gets a lot of popping when she first gets up. I sounds like when people crack their knuckles. She doesn't seem to feel any discomfort from it whatsoever. I've been giving glucosamine for almost a year now and it doesn't seem to affect the popping at all. I get that kind of popping in my ankles and toes too and it doesn't hurt at all.

Amber
I'm not sure if it's something that needs to be treated. Remy's joints are still doing it, but it doesn't seem as frequent as it did when I posted this a month or so ago. I'm taking the dogs for a wellness exam in a few weeks at their new vet's office. I'll let you know what he says about the popping.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
thanks, I'd be interested to know what they say. I really don't want to take Heidi to the vet and pay $50 to ask about that. She's not due for a checkup again for about 8 mos. When I do searches on the net, it just gives a definition of what it sounds like but no real explaination of whether it is a serious problem or not. I'm gonna try to get Heidi to drop a few pounds, maybe she should be a bit leaner.
Amber

1 - 10 of 10 Posts