Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I don't care where someone buys the perfect dog - proper breeder or a shelter. I think what matters most is they pick the best dog for THEM. People have soft hearts and can easily get the wrong dog from a shelter just as easily from a breeder. One has a right to own whatever dog they want so I won't be picky as long as they pick the best one for them and take good care of it for the rest of it's life.

I think its important for anyone looking to adopt a dog, or any animal for that matter to check all options before deciding.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Coming from someone who works at a shelter, it's true that most dogs are not put into the right homes, but more so just someone who passes the application. At our shelter we do not let dogs go homes with children under 5 years old. In the rare case we may but need to do a home inspection and usually it's because we know the dog well and that it can handle it (ie it came from a home with kids, we have seen it around kids). These dogs are normally a bit older and medium sized.

I will very much agree adopting from a rescue or shelter can be risky, so it takes just as much research choosing an animal from a shelter as choosing a breeder. The so called temperament testing isn't even really real. It's just a joint decision on how the dogs acts, and half the time it is inaccurate because dogs act differently at the shelter then they do in a home setting. Some dogs are great and can handle the shelter fine... but very few.

Again, I don't necessarily think its revelant where the dog comes from, as much as how the dog fits. Hudson was a dumb rehoming puppy issue, LittleFoot was from the shelter. Both were accidental litters and in both cases we were not looking for a dog in that description or a dog at all lol... but when you meet the right dog, it's the right dog. $50 or $5000.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Eh we both have. I think my irritation with ignorance is partially due to my age. Im 23 and have just begun to realize things about life. That it sucks and is not fair.
Life is a product of the choices you make. Only you can make it not suck. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts