Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live with 4 bullmastiffs. All of them are pedigreed. We just recently lost the old lady, Deedee. Here's the lineup: Deedee was known as the Psycho Bitch form Hell. When she went to dog shows, she had to be kept in the parking lot or the car until it was her time to show. She was absolutely beautiful to look at, but her motto was if you can't beat 'em (in the ring) eat 'em. She was from the Bandstock line. They're known for being a bit aggressive. She evidently got all of those genes. Until the day she died, she was extremely moody. (Don't get me wrong; I loved her very much & miss her every day) Magee is out of Sumo who was a huge gorgeous dog. He was the sweetest, kindest boy. Sumo died @ 5 yrs of a heart attack; just dropped dead. Magee is 9 yrs old; been diabetic & blind for 3 years now. Sweet sweet girl. Bella is 7 yrs old; finished in the ring @ about 2 yrs old. She is out of the same parents as Magee, different litter. Also a sweet girl, but is undergoing thyroid testing. Sunshine is 5 yrs old. Grandson of Sumo. He showed for 4 years & never got a single point. NOT a good representation of a bullmastiff; very tall & about half as wide as he should be. He is, however a wonderful pet & has already earned his AKC THD(therapy dog) title. Ruby is 18 months old; not of the same line at all. She is from Gem Kennels. Her mother showed in Westminster last year; father is one major away from his championship. Her brother & sister just got Winner's dog, Winner's bitch, Best of Breed & Best Op. @ an allbreed show last weekend. Ruby, however, is so straight in the back that she will probably never finish in the ring. Ruby already has her CGC & does therapy work every other weekend.
My point is all of these dogs are AKC pedigreed. Research was done on their lineage before they were purchased or bred. They ALL have problems, most just physical & not temperament thank God. We love to go to the dog shows; love the bullmastiff people @ the shows, & love the dogs, too. But there's never a guarantee that you will end up with the perfect dog. I'm willing to bet that there are more dogs out there who show that don't have & never will have their championship, than dogs that finish.
I've worked at animal sanctuaries, & dog/cat/horse rescues. These animals aren't any better or worse than pedigrees. I still believe that the integrity of each breed should be kept intact. But as many have stated there are really bad breeders out there who either don't care or don't know how to select the right dogs to breed. My sister in law just bred her labrador retriever, who was purchased at a flea market, to make a little money. Really!?!
I wonder if the AKC/UCK/CKC were to put pressure on their members to be more responsible, we would see a reduction in health/temperament issues in the breeds.You don't get the proper health testing, or you have an accidental random breeding, you lose your membership kind of thing. Also educate the public on spay/neuter; that goes without saying. If I could I would probably get my next dog @ the local shelter. I can't see how I'm ahead right now; a mixed breed could still compete in rally, obedience, agility, etc., & could still do therapy work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I forgot about one other dog we had. Her name was Stormy. She, too was the granddaughter of Sumo. She died at the ripe old age of 20 months; had a huge cancerous tumor on her bladder. She could be a little bitchy too. Her littermate has had a urinary tract problem since birth, & has been on medication her entire life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts