Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't see anyone stating that rescues shouldn't exist. Just giving personal opinions on whether they would adopt a shelter/rescue dog. And why.

Unfortunately, there should be more stringent rules and restrictions placed on ALL shelters, IMO, with regards to WHO can adopt, their backgrounds, as well as the employees that are evaluating and handling the animal. But, there isn't enough time in the day, or money.
I didnt say that anyone said that. Just a point I am trying to make. Obviously they are necessary. And I completely agree that some are run poorly. Just like some breeders run their program poorly as well.

I get sort of annoyed by people that snub their nose at me because I have broken dogs and they have papers. Any dogs can get papers. That doesn't mean shiz to me. Papers don't make a dog, the dog does.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
rescue dogs have a place, its just not with me.

there are many people who love a broken dog and will go to the ends of the earth to fix them, that's fine if that's what floats their boat but it doesn't float mine.

Breeders producing less then favorable dogs would not be doing it if they didn't have buyers, so its a cycle that will continue as long as people keep accepting "less than" with the dogs they own and puppies they buy.
Thats fine and dandy. And not saying this about you, but some people will then snub their nose at me because of my reject dogs when I am just doing something I believe in just as much as they believe in breeders.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thats fine and dandy. And not saying this about you, but some people will then snub their nose at me because of my reject dogs when I am just doing something I believe in just as much as they believe in breeders.
There is nothing to snub.

A dog is a dog at the end of the day and we make them what they are (bad or good)

Its great when people choose to rescue but a lot of hardcore rescue people can't see the other side of the coin, and vice versa with breeders and those who are heavily into a certain "type" of dog.

This thread reminds me of this woman I used to do rescue with, she was so nutty. she had 4 dogs all old as god. She pushed 2 of them around in a baby carriage lol. Not really related to the thread but every time I read a post I think of how nutty she was and how glad I am that I don't deal with her anymore.

But I also met a great lady through rescue, she was realistic, not bitter, she was to the point and knew a lot about dogs, I learned a lot from her and still do, although she is not involved anymore (couldn't take the nutters which is a shame) I remember my first experience with a biter, I called her up to ask her about it and before I even finished my sentence she told me to put the dog down, gave me a list of reasons why and although at the time I didn't understand why anyone involved with rescue would not want to try and save every dog... but I get it now and she was right on the money. She always used to tell me that you can't save every dog, and its so true.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There is nothing to snub.

A dog is a dog at the end of the day and we make them what they are (bad or good)

Its great when people choose to rescue but a lot of hardcore rescue people can't see the other side of the coin, and vice versa with breeders and those who are heavily into a certain "type" of dog.

This thread reminds me of this woman I used to do rescue with, she was so nutty. she had 4 dogs all old as god. She pushed 2 of them around in a baby carriage lol. Not really related to the thread but every time I read a post I think of how nutty she was and how glad I am that I don't deal with her anymore.

But I also met a great lady through rescue, she was realistic, not bitter, she was to the point and knew a lot about dogs, I learned a lot from her and still do, although she is not involved anymore (couldn't take the nutters which is a shame) I remember my first experience with a biter, I called her up to ask her about it and before I even finished my sentence she told me to put the dog down, gave me a list of reasons why and although at the time I didn't understand why anyone involved with rescue would not want to try and save every dog... but I get it now and she was right on the money. She always used to tell me that you can't save every dog, and its so true.
I agree with all of the above. I used to be a crazy rescue person, however I now know not to be. Fact is, there are way too many dogs out there that are good candidates for pets. The pitbull rescue I work with here ONLY saves dogs that have been temperament tested and show no aggression. Then they are further evaluated in the foster home. And then kept by foster failures like me :) If we keep dogs in shelters that are HA, FA, whatever, we are taking up valuable space for dogs that should be there. WE won't be able to save them all, but we can help save the good ones. Like most other debatable things, I think you have to reach a happy medium. I don't look down on people that buy from REPUTABLE breeders at all, as I would expect not to be looked down on for owning rescues.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
So your whole question stemmed from the fact that you're tired of being slighted by people that look down their noses at you for owning rescues? I say f 'em. What do you care, and why should you care? At the end of the day it's YOUR dog, not theirs. And odds are, they are an inexperienced owner, with a "papered" dog (that my cat will pee on). BFD. Seriously. BUT, I don't look down my nose at those that buy from any kind of breeder. I ONLY look down my nose if they are educated and continue to buy from any old breeder. But most are ignorant (myself included), and should not be judged upon something they have no knowledge of.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I don't care where someone buys the perfect dog - proper breeder or a shelter. I think what matters most is they pick the best dog for THEM. People have soft hearts and can easily get the wrong dog from a shelter just as easily from a breeder. One has a right to own whatever dog they want so I won't be picky as long as they pick the best one for them and take good care of it for the rest of it's life.

I think its important for anyone looking to adopt a dog, or any animal for that matter to check all options before deciding.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Coming from someone who works at a shelter, it's true that most dogs are not put into the right homes, but more so just someone who passes the application. At our shelter we do not let dogs go homes with children under 5 years old. In the rare case we may but need to do a home inspection and usually it's because we know the dog well and that it can handle it (ie it came from a home with kids, we have seen it around kids). These dogs are normally a bit older and medium sized.

I will very much agree adopting from a rescue or shelter can be risky, so it takes just as much research choosing an animal from a shelter as choosing a breeder. The so called temperament testing isn't even really real. It's just a joint decision on how the dogs acts, and half the time it is inaccurate because dogs act differently at the shelter then they do in a home setting. Some dogs are great and can handle the shelter fine... but very few.

Again, I don't necessarily think its revelant where the dog comes from, as much as how the dog fits. Hudson was a dumb rehoming puppy issue, LittleFoot was from the shelter. Both were accidental litters and in both cases we were not looking for a dog in that description or a dog at all lol... but when you meet the right dog, it's the right dog. $50 or $5000.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I lucked out. When I was looking for an AB, we only looked into a couple of breeders. We wanted one within driving distance and it just so happened that we found a breeder who was about to breed their dogs. Luckily, we found a very honest couple and couldn't be more happy with the dog that we picked. Otherwise, we'd have probably gotten swindled and not known it till it was too late. We had done our research (lots and lots of research) online. After talking to them on the telephone, they gave us a good feeling as they asked more questions about us than we asked of them. We actually told them that we were already married when we put in our deposit because after talking to them, we were afraid they wouldn't sell us a dog! :lol::lol: Just a little white lie. ;)

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So your whole question stemmed from the fact that you're tired of being slighted by people that look down their noses at you for owning rescues? I say f 'em. What do you care, and why should you care? At the end of the day it's YOUR dog, not theirs. And odds are, they are an inexperienced owner, with a "papered" dog (that my cat will pee on). BFD. Seriously. BUT, I don't look down my nose at those that buy from any kind of breeder. I ONLY look down my nose if they are educated and continue to buy from any old breeder. But most are ignorant (myself included), and should not be judged upon something they have no knowledge of.
No. I posted this as a topic in the debate discussion suggestion thread awhile ago. Someone asked me to open it up, so I did.

And I do judge the ignorant ones to some degree. The reason BYB's are in business and making money is because people are ignorant and buy whatever is cheapest or closest or cutest. And people continue to be ignorant about it. Its pretty easy to find info about what to look for in a good breeder. Type it in google, and even two of the stickies in the general/misc section on this forum will pop up. I agree some people get burned even when doing their research and having all the best intentions. But I just dont understand how people can go to a BYB, get a crappy dog with all sorts of problems, and then when I mention rescue dogs, tell me that they couldnt take that risk. The risk of getting a crappy dog? Oh. Glad that worked out for you. :roll:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I asked Steph to post this thread, I remembered her suggestion of it. I also knew that there would be some good info put forth. I look forward to even more comments.

·
Registered
908 Posts
murphysmommy;852559. I have known so many people that just got married and they want to wait for children but decide to get a dog instead. 2 years down the road said:
Hey now, I resemble that remark! :lol::lol:
Giving our current situation, I'm watching for threads involving dogs/kids..
Probably the biggest reasons that we bought a dog from a breeder is: 1) We bought into the misconceptions about rescues. 2) Like Sarah posted, an unstable AB can be one dangerous critter, so we thought we were hedging our bets by knowing the dog's pedigree :roll: 3) We fell in love with the breed after meeting only one dog (our neighbor's dog who by the way was from a really crappy BYB) and made our decision from just that and lots of internet research.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey now, I resemble that remark! :lol::lol:
Giving our current situation, I'm watching for threads involving dogs/kids..
Probably the biggest reasons that we bought a dog from a breeder is: 1) We bought into the misconceptions about rescues. 2) Like Sarah posted, an unstable AB can be one dangerous critter, so we thought we were hedging our bets by knowing the dog's pedigree :roll: 3) We fell in love with the breed after meeting only one dog (our neighbor's dog who by the way was from a really crappy BYB) and made our decision from just that and lots of internet research.
That may be true but I bet you will still care for your dog when you do have children and not lose interest.

·
Registered
908 Posts
That may be true but I bet you will still care for your dog when you do have children and not lose interest.
That is a fact! Lilly Sue will always be our first born kid. I'm probably the most obnoxious pet owner on the planet. I don't talk much, but I'm usually shoving pics of my dog in people's faces. I carry a pic of her in my wallet and have a pic of her on my desk at work. Some people have pics of their wives in their wallets and desks. Strange......:-k

·
Registered
957 Posts
No. I posted this as a topic in the debate discussion suggestion thread awhile ago. Someone asked me to open it up, so I did.

And I do judge the ignorant ones to some degree. The reason BYB's are in business and making money is because people are ignorant and buy whatever is cheapest or closest or cutest. And people continue to be ignorant about it. Its pretty easy to find info about what to look for in a good breeder. Type it in google, and even two of the stickies in the general/misc section on this forum will pop up. I agree some people get burned even when doing their research and having all the best intentions. But I just dont understand how people can go to a BYB, get a crappy dog with all sorts of problems, and then when I mention rescue dogs, tell me that they couldnt take that risk. The risk of getting a crappy dog? Oh. Glad that worked out for you. :roll:
Did you consider they didn't know it was a byb until after getting the dog? For most people hind sight is 20/20. I know it was for me.

I agree with Tina- people should be getting what is best for them. I'm not planning on judging or looking down on anyone based on where they got their dog.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Steph, I'm not really sure why you care so much. Screw anyone who looks down on your dogs. I assure you people would find excuses even if they were purebred and with papers. Heck, there are plenty of people who look down on my dogs for a variety of reasons. You think I give a crap? Let it roll of your back like water.

You're never gonna be able to force people to rescue. There are rescue people and there are purebred people. It is what it is. You gotta learn to let go of the things you can't control.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Steph, I'm not really sure why you care so much. Screw anyone who looks down on your dogs. I assure you people would find excuses even if they were purebred and with papers. Heck, there are plenty of people who look down on my dogs for a variety of reasons. You think I give a crap? Let it roll of your back like water.

You're never gonna be able to force people to rescue. There are rescue people and there are purebred people. It is what it is. You gotta learn to let go of the things you can't control.
My Harley is a mix bully but not a rescue, I agree screw anyone who looks down on my dog! You can breed for certain things but I believe your dogs personality is mainly based on how you bring up your dog. I have had pure breed sheperds before and mutts. I love them all the same.

On the Children topic, we got our first dog after 1 year of marriage. My first born came two years later, and my dog still got her attention it just came with a baby. Misty never felt slighted and loved my kids for her long 16 year life. She was a bully mix.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
There are many rescues that are breed specific. When I adopted Keiko I paid 80 bucks for her. The only time I ever paid for a dog. She is wonderful, smart, stable, good with children and other animals. Did I luck out? Perhaps. I took Bones when his owner died he too is a great dog, good with children and other animals, not so smart but, not actually stupid, pretty damned stubborn but, a big lovable oaf. I lucked out there, also, I guess. I think if a person knows anything about dogs they could make a good choice with an adoption..

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't care where someone buys the perfect dog - proper breeder or a shelter. I think what matters most is they pick the best dog for THEM. People have soft hearts and can easily get the wrong dog from a shelter just as easily from a breeder. One has a right to own whatever dog they want so I won't be picky as long as they pick the best one for them and take good care of it for the rest of it's life.

I think its important for anyone looking to adopt a dog, or any animal for that matter to check all options before deciding.
I couldn't agree more Tina, as long as that dog is loved through out his life span wether they come from a rescue or a breeder, then what does it matter, everone is different as shown in this thread, some people are looking for certain things in there dog and buy from a breeder where as others arent fussy and like to rescue, as long as you and your dog are happy thats all that matters.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts

How do you judge someone that knows no better? That seems illogical. The simplest definition of ignorance is un-informed. How can you possibly judge someone that DOESN'T know? The only way you can RIGHTFULLY judge is if someone DOES know, and continues TO. Joe Dog owner doesn't realize that by purchasing a dog from their neighbor, they are contributing to that person more than likely spitting out more pups. They don't realize the implications that could possibly arise from that sale. ONCE they know, THEN blame them. Do you REALLY think that people do their research prior to purchasing? No. We are the EXCEPTION not the rule. Most people want a cute fluffy, and they want it NOW. The idea of googling what does or does not make a good breeder never crosses their mind. The only thing that crosses their mind is googling "American Bulldog breeder in San Diego".

I'll have you know I'm a very thorough, intelligent, and well researched person when it comes to purchasing items. We looked and researched for over a year when it came to purchasing our truck, and the same applied for subsequent vehicles. I PRIDE myself on doing my homework, IF I know what homework I'm to be doing! When it came to buying Atticus, all I knew of was to NOT buy from a pet store, and that was about it. I scoured the newspaper classifieds for breeders, and then thought I had hit the jackpot when I saw the ad for him. It had all kinds of fancy schmancy titles and a kennel, etc. I thought I was doing my homework when I googled the kennel name. In reality, I didn't know SMACK. NOW, after LEARNING from here, I will NEVER make that same mistake. And IF I do, then I can be judged.

And honestly, if YOU love your dog, and YOU are happy with your dog, tell those that look down their noses to piss up a rope.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts