Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I find it hard to believe you are only 23. You are, in my opinion so wise and knowledgeable about dogs. Sorry, that sounds as if Im saying 23 year olds are dumb....Im not. Just most of the 20 odd year olds I know (my eldest son is 20) wouldnt have half the insight you do, nor care as much. :)
And now Ive strayed off topic. Sorry.
Oh why thank you. I am indeed 23. My bday is march 3rd 1988. And pretty much 90% of my knowledge simply comes from reading stuff on here. You will soon be just as knowledgable.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
And I'll add that Cassie (mstngchic) and Alison (foreverpit) are around my age and even more knowledgable than I! ;)

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I was actually looking for a dog from a number of breeders (in hindsight they were probably more BYB than reputable) when I started looking at rescues/shelters. Once I saw all the thousands of dogs being discarded by people, I decided that was the only course of action that would work for me. It's a personal choice, but I just couldn't buy from a breeder and encourage the continued breeding of dogs that would likely end up in a shelter waiting to be PTS. Buying a higher dollar dog from a more reputable breeder lessens that possibility, I'm sure.

The last 3 dogs I've owned (a brindle Greyhound, a Golden/Irish mix, and Bella) have been the most wonderful temperaments of any dogs I've ever seen, and they were all rescues. I've seen some terrible behavioral problems at shelters too, believe me. I'm not sure how I picked dogs that were some wonderfully balanced, but it's just something I knew when I saw them. The ex-fiance got custody of the Grey, and he died of bone cancer at 4 or 5 years of age. Not uncommon for Greys. The Golden/Irish mix (Ginger) died before reaching one year of age. Some kind of tumor developed on her skull. I thought it was just some kind of knot from roughhousing with my brother's Dobe, but obviously it wasn't.

I hear people talk about leaving dogs unsupervised with children, and I always thought they were naive, but I can't explain the 100% certainty that I have about Bella's safety. My brother would NEVER let his grand baby (3 year old girl) be around any dog that he had the slightest doubt about, but he doesn't even give Bella a second thought. You can't even get her to play bite your hand. She just won't open her mouth to you. I can't explain it, and I know you feel the same way about me that I have of others that trusted their dogs, but I trust her more with a kid than I would another kid.

I might purchase my next dog from a breeder, I don't know. But as long as I keep seeing these great dogs that humans discard like trash, I'll probably be rescuing again.
I trust Zeus 150% as well with children but I just find it to be the responsible thing to monitor the situation at all times. My friends 2 year old being a two year old decided it would be fun to wack Zeus in the face with his toy a few times. I stopped him of coarse and petted Zeus while saying "nice doggy" to him, it ended with a pet and a kiss from the baby and he hasn't done it since. He just needed to learn how to respect animals (which many people need an education on).

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I have both rescues and dogs that I got from a breeder or produced out of my own breeding. It depends on my goals and what I'm looking for in a dog.

·
Registered
457 Posts
^^I was about to say the same thing. If I decide to pursue working dogs I would definitely buy a dog (if I have the money to really do it) but if I want just a pet, I will most likely rescue. My first dog (APBT), the one I had before Mikey was from a breeder, but I was only 18 or so at the time, didn't know much about anything and I'm sure today I would have classified as BYB. Saw the ad in the paper, $300. Mikey I got from an accidental litter from a friend of a friend for free, so he was half BYB, half rescue I suppose. He was a puppy though. The guy whose dog had the puppies gave me and my friend all the puppies and we gave them away (I worked at a pet store at the time) Anyway, back on topic...another issue that I've found is that Mikey is unable to compete in some dog sports because he's a mutt. I definitely don't think that a rescued bully breed (or any strong working breed for that matter) is a good idea for the "average" person only wanting a pet. I also agree that if I do ever plan on buying a dog from a breeder it will be thoroughly researched, and from a REAL reputable breeder. And people that buy puppies from pet stores...IMO just don't know anything about dogs, or animals in general. If you haven't done enough research on dogs in general to know not to buy from a pet store, you really shouldn't be buying a dog.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
all our dogs growing up were from breeders, so initially my instict is to go that route. For our first dog of our own we decided to purchase. After some research and weighing the pros and cons for (our current situation) we felt this was the best route for us. I do think rescuing a dog is a wonderful thing. I am not against it it just wasnt for us.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We are doing both. All of our first pets were rescued. Our very first pet, a big ole tabby tomcat named Ziggy was rescued from the pound at 3. About 6 months later we were talked into taking the last kitten from a litter of a feral mama cat that had befriended one of our friends. That's Harley and he is still an odd fellow. Only wants attention when he feels like it, does not tolrate being held and is generally a giant fraidy cat. He's a licker too. Then when we bought our house we were convinced to take on Molly, our lab. She was a 1ish year old pup and was basically left in a yard and forgotten about. MILs friend worked next door to the house Molly lived at and basically told the owners, "If you wake up one morning and your dog is gone, she didn't run away, I found a better home for her". I guess they were ok with that, and the day after we closed, MIL went up there, she and her friend took Molly and brought her to us. To this day, MIL is still her favorite person ever. I think she knows who took her out of there. She is a very sweet dog, but very dominant, plays rough, and resource guards. DH has to take things from her, she won't let me. She's not very well bred and is basically hyperactive and very high strung, despite regular exercise. A few months after Molly, we realized she's happier with a canine playmate. DHs childhood dog had just been pts and he wanted a second dog. We did a lot of research and decided on an AB. We looked at several rescues, even met another dog, he didn't get along with Molly at our meet and greet. I finally got in contact with the MD chapter of American Bulldog rescue and found out there were 2 ABs at our local shelter that were being held as rescue only b/c they werent doing so hot at the shelter. They were afraid and together were cage agressive but apart were perfectly fine. We agreed to meet the male and foster him on a trial basis. That became Murphy. He was a wonderful, loving dog but had the worst nerves on a dog I have ever seen. He was afraid of everything, bit me once. We took him to a behaviorist and while we were able to manage him in the house, it was tough. He was DA except for Molly. He was soooooo submissive to her. She took things from him all the time, used to kick him out of sleeping spots, they never scrapped but maybe twice in the last week of his life, over food. We had to sedate him to have his nails done, the vet terrified him. He had surgery in Jan to remove mast cell tumors and was fine until the last week of aug. He stopped eating, lost 5 lbs, had fluid in his chest and was anemic. At the end of that week, we mde the heart wrenching decision to put him down. I feel like we've done our duty with rescuing. We have dealt with so much baggage with rescue dogs that this time, we want a puppy where we can see the parents, the brothers and sisters, and know we were the ones to train and socialize him. The breeder we are using comes highly recommended from DHs coworker who has gotten 3 pups from her, she's also placed 3 rescues with him. He has 6 female APBTs in one house, never had a fight and they don't crate/rotate. We met his dogs and the ones he got from her program have the best temperaments on dogs I have ever seen. They're also getting up in age and he's had no genetic or any other health problems with them. One has minor allergies, easily managed by diet and occasional benedryl when the pollen count is really high. So for us, the proof is in the pudding. She asked us all the right questions and gave us all the right answers. We put down our deposit last weekend, pups are due mid Nov. So yeah, that's us. I think rescue has its place, but at this point we need a break.

·
Registered
52 Posts
before we rescued lola we went to the yonkers animal shelter and out of 100+pits they only had 2 suitable for kids :{ . one had a mange problem that we were advised by our vet it could be costly and the other was a pup that just did not fit with us. but anyway they had so many dogs there that would be great for no children or other pets, it is really sad there was that many there.
we did find our pup at a private rescue though it cost us and she was loaded with fleas! I even looked for them while we were there but didn't see them. it did not matter because we love her anyway.
I think if you just want a dog adopt, but if you really need a breed one that is ok also. if i could afford it i might get on at some point right now i have 3 dogs 3 kids and a mortgage .

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live with 4 bullmastiffs. All of them are pedigreed. We just recently lost the old lady, Deedee. Here's the lineup: Deedee was known as the Psycho Bitch form Hell. When she went to dog shows, she had to be kept in the parking lot or the car until it was her time to show. She was absolutely beautiful to look at, but her motto was if you can't beat 'em (in the ring) eat 'em. She was from the Bandstock line. They're known for being a bit aggressive. She evidently got all of those genes. Until the day she died, she was extremely moody. (Don't get me wrong; I loved her very much & miss her every day) Magee is out of Sumo who was a huge gorgeous dog. He was the sweetest, kindest boy. Sumo died @ 5 yrs of a heart attack; just dropped dead. Magee is 9 yrs old; been diabetic & blind for 3 years now. Sweet sweet girl. Bella is 7 yrs old; finished in the ring @ about 2 yrs old. She is out of the same parents as Magee, different litter. Also a sweet girl, but is undergoing thyroid testing. Sunshine is 5 yrs old. Grandson of Sumo. He showed for 4 years & never got a single point. NOT a good representation of a bullmastiff; very tall & about half as wide as he should be. He is, however a wonderful pet & has already earned his AKC THD(therapy dog) title. Ruby is 18 months old; not of the same line at all. She is from Gem Kennels. Her mother showed in Westminster last year; father is one major away from his championship. Her brother & sister just got Winner's dog, Winner's bitch, Best of Breed & Best Op. @ an allbreed show last weekend. Ruby, however, is so straight in the back that she will probably never finish in the ring. Ruby already has her CGC & does therapy work every other weekend.
My point is all of these dogs are AKC pedigreed. Research was done on their lineage before they were purchased or bred. They ALL have problems, most just physical & not temperament thank God. We love to go to the dog shows; love the bullmastiff people @ the shows, & love the dogs, too. But there's never a guarantee that you will end up with the perfect dog. I'm willing to bet that there are more dogs out there who show that don't have & never will have their championship, than dogs that finish.
I've worked at animal sanctuaries, & dog/cat/horse rescues. These animals aren't any better or worse than pedigrees. I still believe that the integrity of each breed should be kept intact. But as many have stated there are really bad breeders out there who either don't care or don't know how to select the right dogs to breed. My sister in law just bred her labrador retriever, who was purchased at a flea market, to make a little money. Really!?!
I wonder if the AKC/UCK/CKC were to put pressure on their members to be more responsible, we would see a reduction in health/temperament issues in the breeds.You don't get the proper health testing, or you have an accidental random breeding, you lose your membership kind of thing. Also educate the public on spay/neuter; that goes without saying. If I could I would probably get my next dog @ the local shelter. I can't see how I'm ahead right now; a mixed breed could still compete in rally, obedience, agility, etc., & could still do therapy work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I forgot about one other dog we had. Her name was Stormy. She, too was the granddaughter of Sumo. She died at the ripe old age of 20 months; had a huge cancerous tumor on her bladder. She could be a little bitchy too. Her littermate has had a urinary tract problem since birth, & has been on medication her entire life.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts