Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone trains their dogs to switch on the bite. Everyone i talk to are all about a solid bite, dead on the bite, distractions so he will neevr let go.... but is this practical? Our friends Police dog died this week by being strangled on the bite, really messed the guy up, but just wouldnt let go... Wouldnt it have made snese to train for this? whenever a threat presents itself (arms,hands etc) to come off the arm , leg etc and go after that threat? We all train for distractions and for the dog to not come off during the threat, but would this help? The dog died fighting , but still this could have been prevented no?
How does this work for sport people, who train one way, but when real life occurs...... the dog dies? :?

Condolences Pierre RIP to your 4 legged partner :(

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sorry for your friends loss. That's really sad. But you bring up a good point. I would think that police dogs should train that way, but if you are just training for Schutzhund then you wouldn't really need that ability in a dog, IMO. In a PP dog I guess it would be valid too.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
That's sad :(
I believe, in theory (i say this because I am not training yet), that dogs should have versatile bite training in SchH, just like in ringsport. It is just more realistic...Train on body, legs, sleeve..when you train on legs, the dog has more choice of where to bite. In the real world this makes a lot more sense. I honestly think more of the bite-work in ring should be implemented in the SchH program, it is more realistic overall...decoy pressure, decoy interaction, etc..is much more realistic in ringsport, but SchH OB is far more superior. I think real-life protection/police dogs should be cross-trained in multiple areas. The reality of it is that a lot of SchH trained dogs do not come out of training as prepared for real life work as they could be I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts