Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bully was playing at my parents farm with their 2 dogs (Australian shepard/Border Collie & Australian shepard) and he jumped through the page wire (for anyone who doesn't know what this is, it's a fence with large squares in it) and he ripped his nail on his dewclaw. I tried to trim it but it was obviously too tender and he wouldn't let me so I just let him lick it and take care of it. This happened yesterday, today he's favoring it, so I took a look at it and it was twisted backwards :( and hanging on there. So I gave it a quick tug and it came off (it didn't hurt him, i guess b/c it was hanging there). Anyways, looking at it now it's right down to the meat and red and sore. Does anyone know if i should put anything on it or just let him lick it.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I really wish the breeder would have got his dewclaws removed. My mom commented on how her dogs have had problems with them in the past. (Although i wouldn't be able to ever do that to a little puppy let alone a dog at any age).

Comments...advice?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I don't think there's much that can be done at this point...just watch it doesn't become infected...or that he doesn't lick it too much....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
OUCH! Thats happen to my friends Lab. And the vet pulled the nail off and told her to clean it out and keep it wrapped up so no dirt gets in it until it heals up some.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am keeping an eye on it as he's sprawled out on the couch and i'm sitting on the floor (it's funny how that works!!) and it's not as bad now. I can touch it and he just looks at me but doesn't wince or move it. There is a little gouge beneath it as well but nothing too serious. I hope that it heals well. :(
He's had a rough week. His brother got hit by a car a few months ago and is healing well (front right leg is paralzed from "wrist joint" down and has apin in his back leg) and we finally have been able to take Gator for a visit now. He kept stealing Lugars toys so Lugar got mad and I guess Gator pinned him down under the kitchen table and Luger bit him in the face...so now he has a scab on his face and now this. :cry: My poor boy, but he seems to be fine. He's tough lol.

·
Registered
719 Posts
BullyLover said:
what would happen if he licked it too much? Just that it wouldn't scab and heal?
...pretty much...

...a little licking is good...cleans out the wound...if he's not licking at all, then you probably need to clean it for him...clean warm water is likely enough...I use peroxide for mild wounds, but some sources says it can cause too much drying of the tissue (although I've seen no evidence of that, and we used peroxide a lot at the vet clinic I worked at way back when)...

...a light coat of antibiotic ointment is another option...

...but if looks clean and he's leaving it alone, it should be just fine...sometimes by fussing too much we make things worse instead of better...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's doing much better now. I just ended up leaving it for him to look after. I thought that licking a lot was going to be a problem but now he just leaves it alone. Thanks for everyone's advice

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lincoln ripped off one oh his nails (not dew) and it was red/sore and kind of a stub. I didn't knwo what to do either, but found some advice on here. I ended dipping it in soapy water, putting some polysporin on it, then liquid bandaid. It worked great for him.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That's why I think all bullys should have their dews removed, saves so much trouble in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts