Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocco ran off the other morning and didn't return for almost two hours. We have a fence, but it doesn't contain him because he escapes through the holes. I have no idea where he went, or what happened, but when he got back his neck was all red and swollen. I can't really tell what happened, but by the next day it was badly swollen and was ooozing puss and just looked terrible! I was horrified! I took him to the vet and all they were able to tell me was that it's a bacterial infection (aren't all infections bacterial?) and gave me some antibiotics. I want to know so bad what happened to him! I'll post a pic of it when I have a chance to upload it...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Who knows? He could've been bitten by an insect, stung, or scraped when he went through the fence. There are countless other causes as well. As for all infections being bacterial, that is false. Infections can also be caused by viruses, parasites, etc.

And my suggestion is to make that his last trip out. Keep in kenneled inside or put him on a properly put together tie-out system (& those anchors & cables you buy from Wal-Mart or Petsmart do NOT work!). I also suggest fixing the holes asap & then running electric fencing around the fence just as a "reminder" of what happens if he gets to close & too nosey with the fence.

Worst case scenario he won't ever come back b/c a)someone found him & decided to keep him (& they may not have honorable intentions), b) he may be hit by a car, or c) he may never come back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since we figured out the fence doesn't work, I've been taking him out on his leash two or three times a day to do his business, but with almost two acres, I'd really like for him to be able to run around and play when he wants in the yard. We are hoping to fix the fence situation this weekend and get fencing with smaller holes. I don't want to spend the money on an electric fence for that much acreage. We'll see how well this works first...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
RoccosMommy said:
Since we figured out the fence doesn't work, I've been taking him out on his leash two or three times a day to do his business, but with almost two acres, I'd really like for him to be able to run around and play when he wants in the yard. We are hoping to fix the fence situation this weekend and get fencing with smaller holes. I don't want to spend the money on an electric fence for that much acreage. We'll see how well this works first...
LOL. 2 acres is a lot to hotwire! Been there, done that, won't do it again. :p Hope his infection clears up soon.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
You must have been really scared when he was gone for that long! I'm really glad that you got him back. I need some pics to prove it! :wink:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
It sounds like he got his head stuck under a fence and spent a long time pulling to get out, that would have scraped his skin and caused the swelling, and then maybe it became infected. How awful... I'm so sad for Rocco! :( Give him lots of kisses for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts