Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First lesson :)

First meeting the trainer, he said was Roxy was on too much protein hence her being hyper. This would be true as the night before she had stolen the cats food.

We had to stand opposite another dog/owner, all dogs on training leash.....walk towards them, keeping dog close/heel correcting them by standing on the leash, then on getting close to the other dogs, recall/come, jolt leash and then start running backwards, reeling the dog back to you, and praising as they return

He said training was 95% praise and 5%commands, if the dog doesn’t sit when told u make them, u never repeat a command! Also try not to use the dogs name in a command.

He made me and Roxy go to the centre of the class :( I had to hold the training leash with both hands tightly. I was not to look/talk have eye contact with Roxy. Under his instructions I walked forward then stop suddenly, Roxy just flew past me, nearly took my arms of...she flipped onto her back, then I had to walk forward, then turn Right, again Roxy Flew past and came to a sudden stop, again I walked on, then turned right...no tug! o_O I looked down and Roxy was at my side! She had one eye on me this time. He told me to walk forward, she followed :O

A total of 10 dogs around her she managed to sit patiently, until it was our turn to follow his commands. Roxy did really well, even a horse came threw the lesson with the rider biding us all a good morning, lol and a stray dog joined in…

He said Roxy will be easy to train ( he said it was a shame I didn’t bring her as a pup )she is a healthy happy dog and maybe a just a bit too friendly, wants to train Roxy with a whistle, As for me, I may need a bit of work! Cheek of it lol, he said …. he gave up trying to train his wife and her dogs years ago!

He was very intimidating, but it worked.

More too follow

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
Thank you for sharing - this is great info. Sounds like you and Roxy had a lot of fun. :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Glad to hear all is going well & you are having fun too! :lol:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
That's wonderful. Sounds like Roxy's doing a great job....and you too! LOL :lol:

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys, we did really well again this week. I got told off once for being unfair to Roxy, we had to walk forwards and give the sit command, Roxy didn't sit when I told her too, so tug her leash and put her in sit.......my bad, i was suppose to give the command sit then take a couple of steps before i corrected her :oops:

For the first time she went for a dog (a dog which attended the class after us) both dogs were on the leash and she just growled and snorted at it, the other poor dog was terrified, dunno why she went for it, she's normally good, the only thing i think it could have been was, I didn't like the owner, I use to work with her lol

We also got advice on torch light chasing and reflections(ie watches) I'm to just leash her and yonk her back, say nothing, maybe use a water pistol or a tin with some coins in to distract her.

But yes, I'm really enjoying this, Roxy actuallly went into a stay and held it for 45 seconds....good advice her is to work up gradually with the time u make them stay, starting with 2 sec and working up to a longer time, this will get u a strong stay :D

We not going next week as Roxy is being spade :( but! Dasiy will be joining us soon, once she has got over her operation on her leg :)

Edit: I have been doing that technique with the shaking of coins in a tin, when she chases the torch light, it worked she wont go after it but.... :( now when I even walk by her she cowls :( Help!

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I am keeping a file on your lessons. Give Roxy a hug before she goes to the vet from Clara and me. :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gazar said:
Thanks for sharing. I am keeping a file on your lessons. Give Roxy a hug before she goes to the vet from Clara and me. :D
I just pray that she will be a better dog after the op, less dominant and less hormonal! She will be getting lots of hugs before I go and extra special hug from you guys! *wipes tears away*

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well as most of yopu know Roxy didn't have her spaying :( ...instead we had to have a three wek break from training!

so needless to say it went awfully wrong LOL

Well we got in our heal position..all good, then walk forward keeping her close...did that well too....then the recall! quick jerk on her leash and called her, and then i reverted back to waving my arms in the air...praying Roxy would come back....but no, i had to reel her in ..... the trainer bellowed at me :O WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO POOR ROXY (at this point I wanted the ground to open lol) he looked at me and said, why the hell are you waving ur arms about bending down and almost begging her to come back? she wont come back to you, hell no dogs gonna come if you do that....he's right, never worked before thats why I'm in this lesson. We had to do it again.....off we marched....Stop he shouts..im like wtf I done now? he takes Roxy's leash.....WHY AREN'T YOU HOLDING UR HANDS IN FRONT OF YOU?, U NEED ONLY ONE HAND HOLDING THE LEASH AND YOUR STRANGERLING YOUR DOG! roxy jumping up sniffing his arse at this point, just to make things worse.START AGAIN HANDS INFRONT - ONE HAND ON THE LEASH PFFT! DO IT AGAIN!

So I recomposed my, ignore the other owners....and remeber what I had been taught.....Roxy in heal position we walked on with 'Close' lots of cherpy noises from me to keep Roxy interested, heck the treat wasn't working, she was focused on me..then I heard the dreaded words from the trainer 'RECALL ROXY!' quick jerk on the leash..COME and I run backwards with Roxy obeying beautifully Hoooray! we was the perfect model for our class again :D

Then the part came when we had to walk towards the other dogs oposite us.....meet in the mddle, dog sit, then we walk past each other, with dog interested in us only....wanted to get this right so I found a stick...great this will keep Roxy interested!" big mistake ...every1 else walked on, I was still trying to get stick out of Roxy's mouth... got it...threw it into the bushes was a a bad idea, nooo roxy thought lets get that back :O So I'm again trying to get her attention! look up and the class is near the sit position, so I grab her leash sharp jerk 'Close Roxy' at this stage I'm chrpping like a bird and meowing like a cat to keep Roxy focus...needless to say we did well after a rocky start!

One thing happened, we are in a public Park, bit like hyde park? and we were all lined up waiting for the next instruction, when this jogger ran behind us all, made me jump and Roxy growled at him...was like she said omg u scared me, and also she dislikes Dasiy and I see a link to this, as ne dog which is boytrous and jumpy rox dislikes them. I feel this is because when daisy is around, her owner will not stop her from jumping on Roxy! Some of you may remeber me posting this a year or so ago. I limited out walks together because of this, but I guess the damage has been done...I will ask for the trainer for advice next week when Daisy owner is there too to hear.

But all n all was avery good lesson, I'm hoping we will be moved up to next class soon.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
That really sucks you had to take a break from training.

My bitch is in heat right now, has been for over 2 weeks. She hasn't missed a training session yet and has been driven to training in the back of my pickup in a crate right next to my male. She is on the field while other dogs are training, male and female. I have trained at several different places...2 Schutzhund clubs plus a couple pet obedience classes. Never were bitches in heat asked to not particiapte. I think making dog work through the disctraction of a bitch in season makes for a better trained dog. Why avoid a problem when you can work through it? I never understood that theory.

PS keep up the good work training. You are doing more that most pet owners do. KUDOS for being responsible!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Lisa said:
That really sucks you had to take a break from training.

My bitch is in heat right now, has been for over 2 weeks. She hasn't missed a training session yet and has been driven to training in the back of my pickup in a crate right next to my male. She is on the field while other dogs are training, male and female. I have trained at several different places...2 Schutzhund clubs plus a couple pet obedience classes. Never were bitches in heat asked to not particiapte. I think making dog work through the disctraction of a bitch in season makes for a better trained dog. Why avoid a problem when you can work through it? I never understood that theory.

PS keep up the good work training. You are doing more that most pet owners do. KUDOS for being responsible!
Lisa, don't you think it was to prevent the MALES in the class from going insane? Even if Nikki could control Roxy, and if Roxy maintained her composure throughout, you can't control someone else's idiot dog! I have heard stories in here about dogs breaking loose from chains to get to a female in heat. I think they were just taking extra precautions. Maybe the places where you took Smooch, the dogs were already trained to listen to their owner and be very obedient? These dogs were still in the process of being trained, maybe that would make a difference. Ah well, I'm sure every place is different. But it did make sense to me.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Lisa, don't you think it was to prevent the MALES in the class from going insane?
Yes, I understand and that is exactly what I am talking about. Those dogs should be forced to work through the distraction. People should have control over their dogs. Where I go and train and where I have gone in the past, there are dogs at all sorts of levels, some advanced, some just learning. It's not like I am taking Smooch right up into their faces or anything and I am not the only one who would bring a bitch in heat. By banishing Roxy from the training class that is avoiding the problem that people have controlling their dogs. That's the easy way out. Avoiding problems will get people no where in there training. Besides, during that 3 week period Roxy was in heat how many of those days would she actually accept a male breeding her? It sounds to me that by banning Roxy the instructor and other members in the class were taking the easy way out. Just my .02 cents.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lisa said:
Lisa, don't you think it was to prevent the MALES in the class from going insane?
Yes, I understand and that is exactly what I am talking about. Those dogs should be forced to work through the distraction. People should have control over their dogs. Where I go and train and where I have gone in the past, there are dogs at all sorts of levels, some advanced, some just learning. It's not like I am taking Smooch right up into their faces or anything and I am not the only one who would bring a bitch in heat. By banishing Roxy from the training class that is avoiding the problem that people have controlling their dogs. That's the easy way out. Avoiding problems will get people no where in there training. Besides, during that 3 week period Roxy was in heat how many of those days would she actually accept a male breeding her? It sounds to me that by banning Roxy the instructor and other members in the class were taking the easy way out. Just my .02 cents.
I couldn't agree more, I said to trainer it would be a good distraction. But some of the owners I have seen truely should not own dogs, some leave and don't come back because the trainer got angry with them, some owners have rescue dogs and have been sent to this trainer to help over come their problems, some are dog aggressive, some just plain loopy, the lady next to me has a resuce when she says stay he jump like 4 ft off the ground and not forgetting we are in a public place...so I'm guessing we have enuff distraction...along with odd jogger and horse oh and not forgetting the stray dog that just wonders in....

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
from what i am reading it sounds like you and roxy have a good trainer. just because you can't go to class doesn't mean you can stop doing your homework. kids, husbands, neibours all make exellent distractions so keep working while at home and when you do get back to class your trainer will be SO impressed! :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
It sounds like you are having fun. Keep up the good work. :lol:

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Training was extremely hard this week, we are using less treats, as the trainer is always saying thats good, she'll do anything for that treat BUT will she do it just for you? so no treats and all went ok.

I stood opposite Daisy this week, in order to try stopping this happeneing when ever we meet.

It was the hardest distraction for both Roxy and Daisy! we walked towards each other and as sson as we got close Daisy jump onto Roxy....the trainer stomps over to us....He took Roxy leash walked towards Daisy and as soon as Roxy went to play..bang.. leash jerked, he walked back and again he walked over to Daisy, as soon as roxy went to jump..bang, straight with the jerk on the leash as he walked back...again he walked in...this time they just kissed.

He made me and Daisy owner use our voices to control the dogs, deep and stern.

The lesson was very hard this week with the new distraction of Daisy being there, but now Emma (dasiy Mum ) realised how important it was to keep her dog under control. It was like kinda starting again.

As we left, we were all warned of a doberman which was dangerous, that was walked regular at the park, it had already killed one dog! Why is it still allowed to be walked in public without a muzzle......and of the leash jeeze. God knows what would have happen if Roxy and Daisy came across him.

And another thing, the Bird flu, been warned if your dog eats dead birds, make them wear a caged muzzle, as the flu can kill our dogs this way:(

Lastly, you think I can get Roxy to lay...she just wont do it! any advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Awww. at least daisy being there was good for both of you. Good distraction & her mom hopefully learned a few things.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
just keep in mind it is gunna get harder before it gets easier. i love reading your updates.
does roxy understand the down command? if she understands what you are asking her to do and simply refusing to do it then the time has come to get tough with her. if she doesn't understand what it is you are asking her to do then take a step back to basics and retrain the exercise until she does get it.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She knows lay, we do it perfectly well at home and she will even stay in lay position for 15 seconds, but at class is like she has never heard this word lay before lol.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
if she understands it perfectly well at home then she is playin ya and it is time for some tough love. roxy deciding when and where she will, or will not, lie down isn't gunna be acceptable.
there are quite a few ways to impress upon roxy that down means down, no matter where you are. i would recommend discussing with your trainer which is the best method to use. just remember consistancy is really important. if you tell her down then you must follow thru till she is down. if you give up she only learns if she is more stubborn than you, you give up

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know how to make her sit, by pulling up on her leash and a gentle stroke towards the rear, but how by hand do I get her to lay?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts