Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I returned the new bag of Purina ProPlan and exchanged it for Royal Canin Bulldog 24 Medium(scored a 100). I usually mix wet food with dry, but I decided to just give him the dry food and see what he does. Well he never finishes all of his food and he ate every last piece in his bowl. Now I guess I need to be careful about loose stool and other stuff? Should I just give him some mixed wet food as a treat once and while? And maybe he just didnt like the wet food at all and thats why he finished the dry so easy? Should I put him on a diet so it has less pressure on his screwed up leg?

I am full of questions tonight.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I only give Bear the Royal Canin Bulldog dry. His stool was always a little soft with other foods. With the RC it firmed up right away. And a ton less poo.

As far as weight. My vet always tells me to keep him trim to prevent problems with his legs. The trimmer they are the better chances of preventing problems. I also add a supplement to his meal at night. It's one tablet of Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM which helps prevent and reverse cartilage damage, reduce joint pain and stimulates the process needed to prevent and reverse osteoarthritis.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Thats awesome that he loves it! Kate never finished all her food until I put her on RC Boxer forumla (since shes an AB), now she eats it all right away no matter what.

Go Mack!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bearsmom said:
I only give Bear the Royal Canin Bulldog dry. His stool was always a little soft with other foods. With the RC it firmed up right away. And a ton less poo.

As far as weight. My vet always tells me to keep him trim to prevent problems with his legs. The trimmer they are the better chances of preventing problems. I also add a supplement to his meal at night. It's one tablet of Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM which helps prevent and reverse cartilage damage, reduce joint pain and stimulates the process needed to prevent and reverse osteoarthritis.
I might look into something like that for mack. I have MSM and glucosamine pills for myself when I had some tendenitis in my forearms, but I cant take pills like that so I never really used them. Ohh and I also have Omega 3 fish oils. I will have to talk to the vet and see if I can crush them and mix them with his food. Any thoughts on this? it should be the same stuff for humans/dogs?

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
My dog wont eat Royal Canine he sticks his pudge little nose up at it :scratch: ..

e

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I give Bear the human form. It's one tablet that contains Glucosamine/Chondroitn/MSM. I don't crush it. I just plop one in his food at night and he never is the wiser. It's also better because this supplement can upset human stomaches so I would assume it could be the same for dogs. I also give him a 1000mg capsule of fish oil. I'm reading alot on here about salmon oil too and I'm looking into that as well.

As for human vs dog form. I don't think there's any difference on the oils. But I have read that other supplements might not be absorbed as well in human form. But alot of people on here do give the human form. I have not seen any problems yet and I don't have any more limping problems.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bearsmom said:
I give Bear the human form. It's one tablet that contains Glucosamine/Chondroitn/MSM. I don't crush it. I just plop one in his food at night and he never is the wiser. It's also better because this supplement can upset human stomaches so I would assume it could be the same for dogs. I also give him a 1000mg capsule of fish oil. I'm reading alot on here about salmon oil too and I'm looking into that as well.

As for human vs dog form. I don't think there's any difference on the oils. But I have read that other supplements might not be absorbed as well in human form. But alot of people on here do give the human form. I have not seen any problems yet and I don't have any more limping problems.
Very good to know I will be looking into this. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't want to be rude and jump in on your convo, but I was going to try the roayl canin bulldog when i got my puppy and everyone I talked to said it is on the lower end of the dog food chain (yet it still cost 54$). Im glad to see that you guys use it and like it. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't want to be rude and jump in on your convo, but I was going to try the roayl canin bulldog when i got my puppy and everyone I talked to said it is on the lower end of the dog food chain (yet it still cost 54$). Im glad to see that you guys use it and like it. Thanks for your post.
For the most part this is true, low grade/pricey...but it works different for each dog I just think there is better food for that$.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Ya zombie haha. But it's true, Royal Canin is a low grade yet expensive food. They think they can charge more by making it breed specific. It does work for some dogs, not all and not many though. You can certainly get better kibble for less.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Oh I totally agree! I think the breed specific food is just a ploy to get people to buy it.. I don't think it works at all.. in my opinion.. overpriced crap food lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts