Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got some Royal Canin to switch Deuce to. He didn't do good on the Authority Harvest Baked. He had the runs for like 3 weeks. Well I wanted to know your personal preferences on these two foods, Royal Canin and DVP. Which would you suggest? Is one more like Authority than the other? If so, I don't want that one. In your opinion, which should I try, and which is best?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had mine on the Authority Harvest Baked food and they also were having very loose stools. I now have them on the Royal Canine Boxer formula, and I am very pleased. I had read somewhere that the Boxer formula was good for AB's. I have an AB and Boxer so I went with the Boxer Formula. Of course it is more expensive than the Authority, but now they have nice hard stools (easy to pick up). I hated always trying to clean up the stinky piles of dog mess!! Now I can just scoop them up with my pooper scooper!! They have beautiful shiny coats and they really like the taste of the food. They gobble it right up. I have never tried the DVP so I can't help you out with that. Let me know how it works for you. What Formula of Royal Canine are you using. I know they also make a maxi puppy formula.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We love DVP

I have Chloe on the DVP and she LOVES it! I haven't had any problems with loose stools so far. I also mix a little wet food with her dry food and she goes crazy for the DVP eatables. I swear it smells identical to table food and has huge chunks of vegetables and meat! She had a nutritional deficiency in her leg that caused it to bend and shake when she put pressure on it, the vet told me to switch to an adult food. I tried the Royal Canin at first and it didn't help so that is why I switched to DVP. It was better within 5 days on the DVP food. Hope that helped. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
We are taking Sarge off of the Royal Canin - there are really so many better dog foods out there. Depending on which DVP you get they look to be a good product. The Duck and Sweet Potato is better than the normal Duck version you see several on this site using.

With your Olde you need to be concerned with not feeding too high a percentage of protein during the puppy stage, so stay away from the super premium adult formulas like Nature's Variety Raw until he is out of the puppy growth.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com is an excellent site for researching food. You are more than likely going to have to go through some lengths to get a truly good food to you unless you are lucky and live near a distributor. We are ordering ours online and having it delivered.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I feed my girl DVP Duck and Potatoe and she LOVES LOVES LOVES IT - she used to eat the crappy Science Diet - since the switch her coat has gotten shinier and she has WAY less gas and way less loose stool. DVP goes GREAT on ratings too!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
It seems so hard to find the right food. Some dogs thrive on one while another doesn't do nearly as well. I have been trying myself to decide on another food for the dogs. My choices were/are DVP Ultra Premium and Authority Harvest Baked. I have heard so much good about both of these, but the DVP is really expensive (almost $50 for either a 30# bag of Potato and Duck or a 35# bag of Ultra Premium), and the Harvest Baked seems to be producing a lot of loose stools. Another one that I looked at was Timberwolf Organics. An awesome food with an awesome price too ($50+). Needless to say, I am lost again.[/url]

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is what we are going to switch Sarge, our Olde English to:

Artemis Large/Medium Breed Puppy

Ingredients:
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Vitamin E, C and Rosemary Extract), Dried Eggs, Fish Meal, Natural Flavoring, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Fresh Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Peas, Whole Fresh Apples, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root (Prebiotics), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sage Extract, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermantation Soulubles (Digestive Enzyme), Enterococcus Faecium and Lactobacillus Acidophilus(Probiotics).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 27%
Crude Fat (min) 15%
Moisture (max) 10%
Crude Fiber (max) 3%
Omega 6 (min) 2.6%
Omega 3 (min) 0.4%

We are just ordering it online and having it delivered. We found they have what looks to be a great food for our older dog that has severe allergies too.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the Royal Canin Bulldog formula since he is an OEB not an AB, but I have heard the boxer is good too. However I think I might try the DVP Natural Balance Ultra Premium or Duck and Potato instead, b/c they have a higher rating and I can get them all in my city. This is like the hardest thing with him is getting the best food. So many decisions to make, and so much to choose from. AAHHH

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If you can afford the DVP go for it.... for me... I'm a college student and the Royal Canine was the cheapest I found that still got a good rating (an A I believe) and Kate's done wonderful on it so no complaints from me

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm in college to, and payin for it, not with loans. So, I know what you mean, but here the DVP is a little cheaper than the Royal Canin. Its just a little out of the way to go get the DVP. I haven't decided yet, but thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'd say go with the DVP Duck and Potato. Very, very good hypoallergenic food. My sister had a beautiful GSD that couldn't eat ANYTHING without getting the runs and he did very well on this. Jen is also in a class with a woman whose dog had cronic diarrhea problems. I had Jen recommend this food to her and the dog is now doing very well on it (i.e. no diarrhea at all).

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I think you've already made your decision, but I would personally go with the Royal Canin Bulldog. DVP is definetly a good food, no doubt. But the bulldog formula is specially formulated with vitamins and minerals for bulldogs. Even the food is especially made for the jaw structure. A lot of research and testing has gone into the Royal Canin breed specific foods and I just think it would be a better choice. It's even financially a better choice, atleast at the store I go to. DVP is good too, and have been tested and researched, but not specifically for a breed of dog, it's only been tested and researched for all dogs of all sizes and breeds.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have

Mine where on DVP Ultra, My chow still is . I love the food its really good. I just switched the pups too wellness but only because its suppose to be top of the line food. They seem to do really well on either of those 2 and they love them both. plus the wellness food was a little bigger chucks so I fiqure it was better for there teeth to get more chewing in when they eat. They have beautiful white teeth and I want to keep em that way.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hmmm I haven't tried either one of those foods. I feed my dog Innova puppy food, he used to be on Nutrience Junior Medium Breed and in all honesty, I haven't noticed a difference in his coat or energy or stool or anything. But, that just may be due to the fact that he's still a puppy and still developing. At least he's developing very nicely. Anyway I tried Wellness puppy food also, it's a little less expensive but they recommend 3 cups a day instead of the 2.3 that he gets while on Innova. I guess it just depends, Boss will literally eat anything, but some dogs are picky and don't like the health foods much. My cat eats Royal Canine though, the light one, and he hasn't lost any weight at all. I'm pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You can switch

You can feed a puupy one of those you may have to feed more because its adult food but yes you can switch it. The food is for all life stages it says you need to double the food intake if a puppy thats all If it says to cups then you need to feed 4 or what ever he adjusts to and eats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts