Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old is too early to run with my new Amstaff puppy. Angus is somewhere between 9 & 12/13 weeks old and is so active, I can barely keep up with him. He's not getting the excerise he desperately needs. I need to begin running again for my own personal reasons, and want to be able to take him along.

Is it too early on to do this? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
No extreme long distance walks or jogging/running with the pup until he's 12 mo. old. He needs the time to grow & develop & heavy jogging/running can cause serious damage to his joints & ligaments if done at an early age.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mia,

Thanks, but what about just a nice walk down the road? say a half mile and back, a total of a mile? I'm afraid he's not getting the excerise he needs. He's sooo high strung and the nipping while playing thing has become an issue.

I keep working with him on the kisses instead of nipping, but it he'll kiss and then nip all in the same instance. I know that has nothing to do with excerise, but he gets soo hyper.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A mile at only 12 wks is really too much. At 6 mo., you're fine. Right now, focus moreo on shorter walks but make them more frequent (i.e. 4 shorter walks a day). Also, games of fetch & whatnot are great at that age. I know he needs exercise, so give it to him (we all know a tired pup is a good pup!), but make your exercise segments shorter in duration but more in frequency in order to build him up nice & slow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mia,

Thank you so much! I knew most of this, as it really goes without sayin'. I've had Old English Mastiffs for 14 yrs... I should have just stuck with what I knew. It's always nice to have someone reassure you.

Thank you again!! :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
This post helped with my question too. Thanks for posting. I now know that a mile is too long for my 11 week old. I feel horrible now that I actually walked him that long. I was just trying to walk both dogs at the same time, but I see now that it's not good for the little guy. I will just have to do multiple walks with both of them. My girl is 14 months old. I hope a mile is good for her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts