Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever own a runt of the litter and have any problems health wise..While I know size shouldnt play a part in a bullies health, unless your over feeding it, but just curious if anyone else has had a runt before?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have the runt and she was the most healthy dog in the litter...the others were having a digestive problem but she was not phased...LOL as for size we will see

·
Banned
136 Posts
i owned the dog closest to the runt with my GSD, but that was bout it. Never had the real runt.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My runt is the alpha bitch of the litter, and absolutly prolly gonna be the best dog!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
My male Rottweiler was the smallest of his litter and had some problems at birth.Grew up to be 90 pds mature male with not a vet visit except for needles. I think we got lucky but he was a good boy.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My boxer, Shelby, was the runt. When we got her we wanted a female, and she was the only one left. Her brothers were 3 times her size. She is half the size a typical female boxer would be. She's very petite...and only weighs 45 lbs. But as far as her health...we've never had any issues other than allergies in the summertime, but that's typical with her breed.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but does every litter have a runt? Is a runt just the smallest puppy in the litter. If that is the case, Bella was the runt of her litter. She wasn't too much smaller than the 2nd smallest dog in the litter, though. She now weighs more than the biggest female in the litter. Bella has had a lot of health issues when she was younger due to having a very weak immune system. Haus hasn't had a quarter of the problems she has, and he was the biggest male in the litter.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
This may be a dumb question, but does every litter have a runt? Is a runt just the smallest puppy in the litter. If that is the case, Bella was the runt of her litter. She wasn't too much smaller than the 2nd smallest dog in the litter, though. She now weighs more than the biggest female in the litter. Bella has had a lot of health issues when she was younger due to having a very weak immune system. Haus hasn't had a quarter of the problems she has, and he was the biggest male in the litter.
If I'm correct, I believe they consider the smallest one the runt. Sometimes there isn't a tremendous size difference, and other times you can definately tell.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
I guess the term "runt" always had negative connotations to me...like sickly and ostracized from the rest of the litter. I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing that Bella was the runt. :)
Obviously not, because Bella is one H3LL of a looker!!! :D :shock:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Runt is a term that always seems to come with a negative connotation...a runt is actually just a pup that was conceieved later than the rest of the litter..you can also have multiple runts in a litter. Dogs have a one to two week fertile period in thier cycle..they can be bred multiple times during that time. Take that and the fact that sperm can be held viable in the female for a few days before conception even takes place, and..... you can have pups that are a week or so behind in age than other pups in the litter. Nothing wrong with them..they are just a bit behind. I have known multiple runts that outgrew thier littermates and went on to be successful show/working dogs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
we had a runt one time that ended up dying at 2, it had some liver problems. This runt was basically brought back to life because he didnt get a lot of milk and got very dehidrated when it was little.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya Mason is far from that.. ghe's into everything and is scard of nothing its funny... get him mad enough and he'll just bark at you like he's one tough pup..lol I love him to pieces already

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Obelisk said:
Ya Mason is far from that.. ghe's into everything and is scard of nothing its funny... get him mad enough and he'll just bark at you like he's one tough pup..lol I love him to pieces already
It definately doesn't take you long to fall in love with 'em!!! :lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
my ex girlfrind got the runt of the litter, no serious health problems just throws up more than a usual dog would, however i think that is due to the poor quality food shes feeding her. she is on the smaller side for an ab in my opinion. 65 lbs at a year and two months.

andrew

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
When I was a kid, we had a German Short Haired Pointer/Weimereiner cross, Priscilla (Pris). She was the runt of the litter. She lived to be like 18 with no health-related issues. However, when she was 13, my dad and I were out shooting his .22 pistol. She was with us, but was over near our truck, on the other side of some railroad tracks. A train came, she got scared and wanted to get back to us. Something on the train struck her and knocked her about 10+ feet backwards. When we got over to her, she was trying to stand up, but stumbling around. She had a quarter-sized hole in her head. My dad wanted to put her down, out of her misery. I wouldn't let him. We wrapped my sock around her head and the hole, and rushed to the vet. It was a Sunday, so we had to wait for him to get there. He finally showed up an hour later. He picked a couple skull fragments off her brain, and left one in there that was partially embedded, stitched her up and sent her home. After a couple weeks, she made a full recovery. She did start to lose her sight and hearing, but lived another 5 healthy years...

Anyway, the runt is just a word. The biggest, healthiest one can end up with the most health problems and vice versa.

~S

1 - 20 of 23 Posts