Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to pass on reading this, as it's just a way for me to vent frustration. I just found a friend's THREE YEAR OLD daughter has CANCER. WTF?!?!?!! A THREE YEAR OLD. How cruel. Normally it's a fairly slow moving cancer, but even then, only 50% of patients live 5 years...hers is 'rapidly growing' so her prognosis isn't good. Good gracious...I can't even fathom what they're going thru. Chem, radiation, surgery, etc...for a 3 year old sweet little girl.....my heart hurts for them :cry: It's things like this that really make me question life.

If you are inclined, please keep this family in your thoughts/prayers/good vibes...they need all of them that they can get.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You and your friends family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am terribly sorry :cry: . I have a three year old son, I can not imagine what this family is going through.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
WOW! That is all I can say. I went through the ringer with my 23 month old and I so have a new outlook on life and how we so often take it for granted. I will put her on my prayer list! God really works in mysterious ways!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I lost a student to cancer last spring. It's just so unfair. I will definitely keep the family in my thoughts! :(

·
Registered
655 Posts
They will be in my thoughts.

Just so you know, at the age of 2 my nephew was given 6 months to live due to an inoperable brain tumor.

He just celebrated his 8th birthday.

Never lose hope!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for your good thoughts and prayers...every little bit helps!

Lizzie--thanks for the inspirational story...I will pass it along. I know they are trying to stay positive and not think about the dark possibilities, so I'm sure it will give them hope to hear about your nephew!

·
Registered
655 Posts
mom to many said:
Lizzie--thanks for the inspirational story...I will pass it along. I know they are trying to stay positive and not think about the dark possibilities, so I'm sure it will give them hope to hear about your nephew!
Hope is important because when it comes to cancer, even the most knowledgable doctors don't know everything about it -- no one does.

My nephew clobbered every record for his type of brain tumor... first they gave him 6 months, then when he made it past that they said he'd never make it to 5 years old. He just kept thriving until they had nothing else to go by to predict his future. So now he lives a "normal" life aside from an MRI every 3 months to track the tumor's growth... no changes in over 5 years now!

Doctors can't predict what will happen with him in the future, but he is a happy 8-year-old, goes to school and you would never even know that he was sick.

I hope the same goes for your friend... she certainly has a difficult time ahead of her, but cancer can be beat! I hope they are able to stay positive and I'll be thinking of them!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
**UPDATE 10/4**

Kayla's bone scans and other testing came back that the cancer has NOT spread, which was a HUGE concern beofre now. She has begun what will be a year long round of chemo, followed by several months of radiation. She's already gone thru 2 surgeries. She's having a bit of a rough time with the chemo (understandably) but they're hoping things inprove a bit, as the first dose of chemo was higher/stronger than what the rest will be.

Please keep your good thoughts/prayers/good wishes coming....Kayla still has a long road, but that road looks SLIGHTLY smoother with the news her cancer has not spread!

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
If you are inclined, please keep this family in your thoughts/prayers/good vibes...they need all of them that they can get.

I will be glad to and glad to here that it has not spread.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NEW UPDATE NEW UPDATE!!!!!!

Kayla is on her way for her LAST inpatient stay for her LAST chemo/radiation treatment!! She has done remarkably well (with a few scares along the way) and they are cautiously optimistic on her chances that she has beat this. :D She has been thru 40 weeks of treatment...chemo and radiation...the chemo treatments have been 2 times a week, followed by a week of radiation...back and forth for FORTY weeks. Kayla celebrated her 4th birthday in December and has been such a doll thru all of this.

Her parents are understanably nervous about treatment being over...they feel like at least they were DOING something to make sure this didn't get the best of their daughter...and now that treatment will be over, it feels like they aren't doing anything, kwim? Please keep them in your thoughts...they could use all the support they can get!

For those curious, Kayla had a rare cancer called Rhabdomyosarcoma...it all started with a simple birthmark she's had since birth...it was never a cause for concern until Kayla started complaining of pain/discomfort in the same area. Within ONE WEEK of her diagnosis, she was on her way for surgery and to begin her cancer treatments. It's THAT aggressive that they needed to move FAST.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is great to hear.. When my friends son was 1 they found out that he had cancer the doctor told them he wouldn't make it 4 more months lead alone to his 2nd birthday...they went to a different doctor for a 2nd opinion, it was a long hard road for almost 2 years but now he is 12!!!! and doing great the cancer has not shown back up! Will keep your friends and their daughter in my prayers and thoughts..

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oblo_and_brandi said:
That is great to hear.. When my friends son was 1 they found out that he had cancer the doctor told them he wouldn't make it 4 more months lead alone to his 2nd birthday...they went to a different doctor for a 2nd opinion, it was a long hard road for almost 2 years but now he is 12!!!! and doing great the cancer has not shown back up! Will keep your friends and their daughter in my prayers and thoughts..
That's awesome about your friend's son! I wil lpass along that story, as they are always happy to hear of successes...and thanks for the prayers and good wishes!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Wow! That's incredible news. What a great way to start off my Monday! I will keep her and her family in my prayers that this is over. Thanks for sharing with us. :D

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One More Update!

As of July 16th, Kayla is in remission! She had a multitude of bone scans, etc and they ALL came back clear!! this was their final hurdle and they cleared it with flying colors!! Kayla and her family are getting ready to head to DisneyWorld for a much needed and DESERVED trip :D :D :D

Kayla and her family have been thru SO much in the last 10.5 months...they pulled thru it together and hopefully, this is the LAST of the nasty cancer they will ever have to deal with.

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts and prayers :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts