Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an American Bulldog who is 6 years old and He is scared of going outside unless is at night...
in the morning i have to literally drag him and pull him out (he weights more than i do so it is very difficult)
A few years ago we took him to a trainer because he was scared of trucks and loud noises and the trainer did help a little, but symptoms came back after construction started next to my apartment. Sometimes he just doesnt want to go outside and do his business and after trying for 20-30 minutes to get him to walk I'm forced to take him inside and I have to leave for school and when I get home from school he has already gone inside the house. In the afternoon is better when the construction people are gone, but even so he just goes outside does his business and wants to go back in right the way, he doesnt want to walk. At night is when i can take him for long walks without problems, he'll go to the bathroom and walk for 20-30 minutes without problems.
(oh i cant take him back to that trainer, i couldn't get a hold of him, he might of moved)
oh also he has been getting more lazy, he doesnt really want to play like i grab his toys and try to get him to play but nothing.
Any suggestions on how to correct this problem? anything at all will help
thanks.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
About not being interested in playing with the toys, I would look into that more, as this could possible be depression (and yes dogs can get depressed). As for the walking, if you have a treadmill, try putting him on that at a slow pace, it almost knock the dogs into a walk. Get him use to floor moving on the treadmill and work up to a faster pace. Then try taking a leash, put the collar part right behind his ears so you have complete control and just walk, don't look at him or think about him, just walk. You might be surprised, when you look next to you and he's happy to be walking. This could also be in-security, try raising his tail (yes, like they do in shows) and make him feel proud of him self. Find a new little sport or game that he's good at, whatever it takes to get the self-esteem up for him.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have to agree with Mommy on the depression.Not playing with toys and showing NO interest IS something to be concerned about along with him being scared to go outside.You said something about construction,maybe that has something to do with his not wanting to play or lack of interest.Please keep us updated on him.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Sometimes dogs will not show alot of interest in their toys because they are available to them all the time. If you want a dog to have drive to play with toys you must regulate when the toys are available to them. Just like with feeding. If you free feed your dog (leave food out all the time and let your dog eat bits of it whenever) you will get a picky eater. The same thing with toys. If they are always there the dog will often get bored with them and not have any interest to play with them . I agree it sounds like the dog has some issues (with being frightened etc) but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the lack of interest in playing is a separate issue entirely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts