Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Forgive my ignorance :oops: is that video representative of what Schutzhund is? Is Schutzhund basically exceptional obedience? Just curious. Rocket hasn't had any 'formal' OB training (we'll be starting soon though...he's going to be a therapy dog), but when we're doing OB (we do 2 sessions a day), he's VERY focused on me...and if I have his favorite toy or a treat in my hand, then he won't take his eyes off me. I kind of thought that's what basic OB was...but this video is apparently a more elevated level of OB? I'm confused :D Rocket is also able to completely focus on me when there are distractions as well. Several times a week, we do OB while my kids are running around playing and we also practice when we go places like PetSmart, etc. He always listens and responds, even if there isn't an immediate tangible reward...he just seems to like praise.

For an example...there's a fire station at the end of my street...on our walk recently, we were practicing heel and sit/stay at intervals along our walk, and during one of these times, the firetrucks came rolling out (we were about 2 houses down from them) lights and sirens going and Rocket never stopped looking at me. Granted, he's partially deaf :lol: but I KNOW he could hear those sirens (and see the firetrucks), yet, he never stopped watching ME. Is this unusual for a dog with no formal OB training?

Like I said, forgive my ignorance :D I'd like to know more about what Schutzhund is!

·
Registered
722 Posts
mom to many said:
Forgive my ignorance :oops: is that video representative of what Schutzhund is? Is Schutzhund basically exceptional obedience? Just curious. Rocket hasn't had any 'formal' OB training (we'll be starting soon though...he's going to be a therapy dog), but when we're doing OB (we do 2 sessions a day), he's VERY focused on me...and if I have his favorite toy or a treat in my hand, then he won't take his eyes off me. I kind of thought that's what basic OB was...but this video is apparently a more elevated level of OB? I'm confused :D Rocket is also able to completely focus on me when there are distractions as well. Several times a week, we do OB while my kids are running around playing and we also practice when we go places like PetSmart, etc. He always listens and responds, even if there isn't an immediate tangible reward...he just seems to like praise.

For an example...there's a fire station at the end of my street...on our walk recently, we were practicing heel and sit/stay at intervals along our walk, and during one of these times, the firetrucks came rolling out (we were about 2 houses down from them) lights and sirens going and Rocket never stopped looking at me. Granted, he's partially deaf :lol: but I KNOW he could hear those sirens (and see the firetrucks), yet, he never stopped watching ME. Is this unusual for a dog with no formal OB training?

Like I said, forgive my ignorance :D I'd like to know more about what Schutzhund is!
No, that video was just a clip of a guy practicing a reverse heel with his dog. That's not done in Schutzhund. That's great that your dog can focus on you like that. It's hard for most dogs, especially when there are distractions around that they REALLY REALLY want, like a decoy or a toy. How old is Rocket? You do have an advantage of him being partially deaf. :)

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Rocket is 8 months old...and yes, the fact he's partially deaf does help :lol: The first thing we ever worked on was that he needed to be looking at me at ALL times...we communicate thru some signs, and some voice commands. His difficulty hearing comes into play when there's a lot of other noise around...I think that automatically makes him look at me, 'cause he knows the only way he's going to know what's going on is to look for hand signs. He LOVES doing OB...LOVES it! In the past, it was just something I did with my dogs (various breeds and ages) to make us live harmoniously, but Rocket REALLY enjoys doing it. His whole body starts wiggling when he sees me going to the backdoor with his leash...he knows it's time, lol!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Focused heeling is impt for any dog and in Schutzhund it is alot fo points to loose for not focused!
Mom to Many if Rocket is showing that much interest and love for OB and is focused like that, then yes he is ON HIS way for training in schutzhund focused heeling is one of the sections in the OB phase. Schutzhund is alot more then thta nad is alot of work, but if Rocket enjoys work then why not try !!!Only problem that may arise is his partial deafness and the "outs" during protection phase. But i guess you could always train automatic outs even though its not desired but timed correctly will not loose points!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
mom to many said:
Rocket is 8 months old...and yes, the fact he's partially deaf does help :lol: The first thing we ever worked on was that he needed to be looking at me at ALL times...we communicate thru some signs, and some voice commands. His difficulty hearing comes into play when there's a lot of other noise around...I think that automatically makes him look at me, 'cause he knows the only way he's going to know what's going on is to look for hand signs. He LOVES doing OB...LOVES it! In the past, it was just something I did with my dogs (various breeds and ages) to make us live harmoniously, but Rocket REALLY enjoys doing it. His whole body starts wiggling when he sees me going to the backdoor with his leash...he knows it's time, lol!
As a person who is half deaf, I can easily see your dogs side of things. There was a post about "outs" in protection. If I were you, I'd play around until you find something you KNOW he can hear above the backround noise. Since I lost my hearing when I was 16, I've learned to avoid situations with a lot of it. I'm terrified to go anywhere with a crowd b/c the individuals voice is lost. It's very stressful. Hand signals are probably fun for your dog b/c he can feel confident. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Tia said:
Focused heeling is impt for any dog and in Schutzhund it is alot fo points to loose for not focused!
Mom to Many if Rocket is showing that much interest and love for OB and is focused like that, then yes he is ON HIS way for training in schutzhund focused heeling is one of the sections in the OB phase. Schutzhund is alot more then thta nad is alot of work, but if Rocket enjoys work then why not try !!!Only problem that may arise is his partial deafness and the "outs" during protection phase. But i guess you could always train automatic outs even though its not desired but timed correctly will not loose points!
I can think of other parts of a SCH trial where a deaf dog would have a problem. what about the call out from the blind? The retrieves? sit and down in motion, Recall? I could be wrong but I don't think hand signals are allowed, although in some exercises it wouldn't matter anyways, since the dog isn't looking at you (call out for one). Kinda hard to give a hand signal if the dog is looking the other way. :shock:

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Lisa said:
Tia said:
I can think of other parts of a SCH trial where a deaf dog would have a problem. what about the call out from the blind? The retrieves? sit and down in motion, Recall? I could be wrong but I don't think hand signals are allowed, although in some exercises it wouldn't matter anyways, since the dog isn't looking at you (call out for one). Kinda hard to give a hand signal if the dog is looking the other way. :shock:
LOL! Yes, if Rocket isn't looking at me, hand signals would be difficult, but fortunately, he's VERY focused on me at all times. He's been known to bump into things while walking, because he was too busy looking at me, lol! He can hear ok when there's no other noise...when it's just us working in my backyard, he responds perfectly to my voice...it's only when there's a lot of background noise that he doesn't respond well to voice command and we have to use hand signals. We're going to be starting OB classes later this month and them he will take the CGC test, so he can become a therapy dog. Depending on he does with our OB class, I may look into further training, if not to compete, at least for fun. He truly loves doing it and he is VERY praise driven....food rewards are good, too, but nothing gets his but wiggling like praise from me :lol: I've been VERY surprised how easy it's been to train him...a lab we fostered for awhile was SO stubborn and SO hard to train for just BASIC things...and they say bully breeds are stubborn..HA! Seriously, if I could get my kids to listen this well, life would be great :wink: Maybe I should practice some OB with the kids....

nanniesrock...how did you lose your hearing, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
LOL! Yes, if Rocket isn't looking at me, hand signals would be difficult, but fortunately, he's VERY focused on me at all times. He's been known to bump into things while walking, because he was too busy looking at me, lol! He can hear ok when there's no other noise...when it's just us working in my backyard, he responds perfectly to my voice...it's only when there's a lot of background noise that he doesn't respond well to voice command and we have to use hand signals. We're going to be starting OB classes later this month and them he will take the CGC test, so he can become a therapy dog. Depending on he does with our OB class, I may look into further training, if not to compete, at least for fun. He truly loves doing it and he is VERY praise driven....food rewards are good, too, but nothing gets his but wiggling like praise from me Laughing I've been VERY surprised how easy it's been to train him...a lab we fostered for awhile was SO stubborn and SO hard to train for just BASIC things...and they say bully breeds are stubborn..HA! Seriously, if I could get my kids to listen this well, life would be great Wink Maybe I should practice some OB with the kids....
It sounds like you and your dog have an incredible bond that is awesome!

The problem with Schutzhund is that you don't always want the dog focussed on you. In the protection phase you want the dog focussed on the bad guy during much of that part of the trial. If it is looking for you during the guards for example you would probably fail. Ideally, the judge wants to see a dog intensely barking at the bad guy, preferably looking him in th eye, until the command to heel comes from its handler.

:)

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Lisa said:
LOL! Yes, if Rocket isn't looking at me, hand signals would be difficult, but fortunately, he's VERY focused on me at all times. He's been known to bump into things while walking, because he was too busy looking at me, lol! He can hear ok when there's no other noise...when it's just us working in my backyard, he responds perfectly to my voice...it's only when there's a lot of background noise that he doesn't respond well to voice command and we have to use hand signals. We're going to be starting OB classes later this month and them he will take the CGC test, so he can become a therapy dog. Depending on he does with our OB class, I may look into further training, if not to compete, at least for fun. He truly loves doing it and he is VERY praise driven....food rewards are good, too, but nothing gets his but wiggling like praise from me Laughing I've been VERY surprised how easy it's been to train him...a lab we fostered for awhile was SO stubborn and SO hard to train for just BASIC things...and they say bully breeds are stubborn..HA! Seriously, if I could get my kids to listen this well, life would be great Wink Maybe I should practice some OB with the kids....
It sounds like you and your dog have an incredible bond that is awesome!

The problem with Schutzhund is that you don't always want the dog focussed on you. In the protection phase you want the dog focussed on the bad guy during much of that part of the trial. If it is looking for you during the guards for example you would probably fail. Ideally, the judge wants to see a dog intensely barking at the bad guy, preferably looking him in th eye, until the command to heel comes from its handler.

:)
AHA! then yes, that may be a problem, lol! Either way, I'm planning on ROcket becoming a therapy dog...I think with his partial disability, a lot of the patients we would be visitng would identify with him. He's so people friendly and loves nothing more than a scratch behind the ears.

And yes, I think Rocket and I have a stronger bond than any other dog I've owned. And I think it's due in part to his deafness...I was really worried when I first figured out something wasn't right with his hearing, but it's turned out to be a positive thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.