Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age is recommended to start training a pup in OB for shutz. Sheila is coming along nicely and has the basics down, but I am hesitant to start her yet as she is only 7 months old. And what I mean is (cuz the training or foundation has already started since a month after we got her) the actual taking her to the club field and working her with stricter corrections etc....

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
At this age, OB should definately be fun for her. If you take her to your club, they will know more, they will be able to tell you more about your dog. Every dog matures at a different rate. In my eyes, OB should always be fun for a dog, of course you will always need corrections but I think until the dogs knows exactly what you are asking all the time, no corrections should be applied.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She knows what I am asking, for the basic commands and I only use corrections for such. At the club they loved her, especially her prey and food drive (this dog will do anything for a moo-moo treat) And I always try to combine her training with play, like fetch with balls or frisbee, sits and downs before she gets to go fetch etc..... Guess I will just have to start taking her to the club and work her there until they think she is mature enough to start officially. Funny thing is, when I brought her out (being she is a pound puppy and not knowing diddly about her parents/background) I did not know what to expect as far as her evaluation. All the dogs there from the club members were AWESOMly trained Shepards, Dobies and Rotties who had X and Y pedigree with so and so CHP so I felt a bit intimidated. But then another dude brought out his Shepard for the first time and it was a very timid, hesitant and the guy already had paid good money for a private trainer. The dog had one of those ibg money pedigrees (I don't know jack about shepard lines, but everyone seemed imressed except the head trainer) Trainers comment, "well I guess we can work with him, but it is going to take a lot of work" When Sheila came storming out with me, she did her usually, attacked EVERY person there with kisses, then one of the members pulled out a rope and Sheila saw it and bolted after him and the rope and did not give up till she got it from him. did some basic sit and down and the trainer said Sheila had great potential and she would like to work with me and Sheila to see how far we can take her. I have yet to go back with Sheila cuz they said she should be a bit older to start, but have been back to observe the sessions etc.... I am scared to ask the trainer cuz I don't want to seem to pushy ( she is very strict ) when exactly I can start brining sheila or if I should just bring her out next trip. I guess I have just been training her, and she has been working sooo hard for me that I want to get her started. Sorry for the long rant, but just want opinions on average age when pups get started in the actual training.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I obtained the female in my banner when she was approx 10 weeks old.

I began my ob foundation immediately. In fact I started when I picked her up at the airport.

Like Bremner said, it was purely motivational. I used food to teach her all her basic commands..she was never fed from a bowl until she was about 6 months old. I started at the airport by feeding her every time she looked at me. I continued this at home for a week or so always feeding her when she was focussed on me. After she understood that concept we we moved onto to simple commands like sitz and platz. After that I had her doing focussed heeeling (without a leash beside me). I also taught her to run blinds using cones (I teach it as an obedience exercise rahter than in the protection training). It was really cute. She did EVERYTHING for her meals. She learned to focus on me to get what she wanted. I didnt start with a collar and leash until she was several months old. It always must be fun for puppies because in Schutzhund you want a dog that works happily and is upbeat, not like it is being FORCED to do the work.

Who are the sire and dam of Shiela? She sounds like a nice ab.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I mentioned, she is a pound puppy, I just got lucky, she does the rest. I have been trying to post a video of her working with me, but for some reason my camera crops it when I upload.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts