Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one got or doing a schuthund title? if so how long and hard was it to get the schutzhund 1
if you dont know ive got two abs remy and kaiser and im starting schutzhund in two weeks but im only taking kaiser at first because hes more obedient than remy so when he picks it up hopefully remy will copy him any way im going to start training hard for a year to test my dogs and if they reach my expectations i will start a breading program with them im purchasing another female for £1000 in a few weeks so i'll start tracking with her when shes 8 wks old but if any one does the schutzhund and have any more info on it so i can prepare myself a bit better

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did some Schutzhund training with my female Chaos. We started her at 8 weeks and trained until she was 2.5 yrs then our training club split up, the helper I liked retired and I don't like the new helper. Chaos was almost ready for her Sch1, we just needed more work on retrieves and tracking. I saw many ages of dogs come and go and it really depends on the dog how quickly they pick up the training. Although it may be easier for a young pup who is still a blank slate when it comes to training.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is pretty hard to get a Schutzhund title on an AB! We titled at least two dogs, we start with our puppys tracking and obedience as long as they changed teeth.
It's all about the decoy, find a good one who can help! we were looking for a good helper who can handle a bulldog for month, I need to mention we are located in Germany and we do have tons of dog training places and tons of decoys. I raised Boxer for twenty years and it is a big difference to title a Bulldog or Boxer.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I agree with Angelika, earning a Schutzhund title is no walk in the park! Not only does it require the right dog but it also requires alot of dedication!! Be prepared to do short obedience sessions daily, tracking at least a couple times a week, and plan on attending your club for ob and protection at least once per week if not more. Schutzhund is not something you can take on half heartedly and if you do be prepared for your training director to let you know its not acceptable! Schutzhund is alot of fun and a great way to learn about the character of your dog but unless you have lots of spare time and drive to do it yourself I don't reccomend it.

If you feel you are up to challenge but only want to commit to training one dog, forget about which one is more obedient and go with the best dog! Chances are, the obedience you put on your dogs probably isn't in line to what Schutzhund demands anyways, and you will more than likely have to go back and retrain your dog from scratch. Most AB's lack either nerve, drive or both anyways, to make it in Schutzhund, so if one of your 2 dogs has what it takes, consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Schutzhund

Well i started training in Schutzhund 2 years ago and i still havent earned titles on my 3 dogs im training yet. Im not saying they arent doing well, caise they are doing amazing.BUT it takes alot of time,the right dog,right trainer.BUT i also must say its a great acitvity with your dog and builds a AWESOME bond with them. I really love to train and so do my dogs. I started training one at 8 months old and my other 2 since they were youngsters.I must say younger the better but with the time and patience i think you can get there with older dogs,just depends on what you r looking for.You wont get the good focus and prolly high drive dog.I use to train one of my ABs started him at 3 years old and i have retired him.He would do anyting had great nerve but didnt have enough intensity for me.Lots of courage but...lacked intensity.For me that was enough to stop training him.So it all depends on what you r looking to do with your dog, and also what your dog is capable of.BUT there are alot of successful good trainers out there that wont do anything with their dogs until 2 years old.???????
I think you should contact a local club,check it out, get a trainer to give you their opinion of what they r capable of. AND MAKE SURE THEY KNOW A BULLDOG which is hard soemtimes :lol:

Happy Training!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts