Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Chapps food is salmon flavored and I give my dogs salmon oil...so I don't see why not?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Salmon is great for dogs. Salmon from the Pacific Northwest can carry a fluke that has a parasite that can kill dogs. If you are feeding salmon from that area, you can kill the parasite by freezing the salmon or cooking the fish.

·
Registered
932 Posts
What about tinned salmon???? I heard tinned tuna is ok... so i'm assuming tinned salmon would be too??

·
Registered
932 Posts
FYI - gave Patch tinned tuna on saturday and the poor little thing had DIRE-REAR !!!!!!!!

i think i'll stick to salmon.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Shay78 said:
Ok thanks! Im gonna give it to him!Whenever i open my fridge he sticks his head in looking for left overs now he has some lol
No. Not fresh salmon!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
msvette2u said:
Shay78 said:
Ok thanks! Im gonna give it to him!Whenever i open my fridge he sticks his head in looking for left overs now he has some lol
No. Not fresh salmon!
The only salmon that is dangerous is wild caught salmon from the pacific northwest. Even then, it just needs to be frozen for a couple of weeks in order to kill the parasite. Raw fish is perfectly fine to feed. Mine get raw salmon all the time. Unfortionatly, I can only afford the farmed stuff from Costco, but they love it! I get wild salmon that is canned from the grocery store and they love that too!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
msvette2u said:
Shay78 said:
No. Not fresh salmon!
The only salmon that is dangerous is wild caught salmon from the pacific northwest. Even then, it just needs to be frozen for a couple of weeks in order to kill the parasite. Raw fish is perfectly fine to feed. Mine get raw salmon all the time. Unfortionatly, I can only afford the farmed stuff from Costco, but they love it! I get wild salmon that is canned from the grocery store and they love that too!
so the canned salmon you get from the supermarket is ok then??

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I know about that, I live in the Pac. NW.
Still, to me, it wouldn't be worth it to feed a dog raw salmon but that's just me.
The fluke is deadly - no dogs recover unless treated, and the key is knowing what's wrong (some vets don't!)
Canned salmon is safe. I used to feed it to our nursing foster :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts