Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone else has experienced this w/ their am staff or any other bully. My stella is going on 3yrs. and started having seizures last nov. They started out as petti- mals and in feb/06 turned into grand-mals w/ occasional clusters. She is on PB (phenobarbital). Her vet has been able to manage them very well. I am very pleased. It can be very hard and stressful sometimes though. Any little noise she makes has me jumping to check on her. The vet is not sure why she thinks maybe because my mamma dog had such a big litter(12) pups. We didn't loose one! But my sister-in law took 2 of the pups and one has seizures also. But my mamma went into shock from hypokalemia and made it through no problem, We ended up having to take turns feeding she would feed 6 we would bottle feed 6 then we would switch next feeding. We have dad and he is healthy no problems on his side. Just looking for moral support , and if there are any websites w/ support groups for this? We do pretty good for the most part but this last seizure she had scared me I thought I was going to loose her they just wouldn't stop for almost 4 hrs. and she was so tired and every time she has one she regresses alittle more. We did up her PB dose and the vet is talking about adding Potassium Bromide, I trust my vet but I don't want to stress stella's liver out anymore than need be. An she has done better on the higher dose, she's just not as active, and walks around crying sometimes for any little thing. She is a sweet heart , it's hard to see her go through these. Anyway :? anyone experience this?

·
Super Moderator
15,987 Posts
I Have no experience with these but wanted to say I am sorry
that your dog and her pup is having to go through this. Did you have her
spayed to end the hormonal cycle? This can be a stressful time for a dog
and I do know that stress can sometimes trigger siezures..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes both have been spayed. My mamma dog(gypsie) is in good health now, She has no health problems and her mom and dad where problem free also. As well as my male's mom and dad. Stella just has the seizures. It will be 3 yrs in oct since gypsie had the pups. Stella just started all of this nov.25.05. At first we didn't do meds because it wasn't often enough that she had them, In feb.06 is when they turned into grand-mals an she was put on PB. I made sure all the pups that where female where spayed that had seizures so far only 2 other females have had them. An from what I know, no one has breed there dogs. We only let the pups go to family or friends of the family so we can keep an eye on them. Thank you for your support though...... I appriciate it. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Almost 3 Year old paperd Am Staff having sezures

Just recently my dog Oliver the love of my life has started to have sezures. They have been going off and on the last month. Last week he only had one this week he has had 4 and the one last night lasted over a minute. He has had realy bad alergys in the past so I thought maybe it had to do with that...It only happens when he is sleeping, he awakes in a sezure but when he is awake he dosent get them? He is a all white pit so maybe that has something to do with it. How can I make him more comfortible when he is having a sezure. Should I hold him? I just keep asking god why this is happening to my baby????????????????????????????????????????????????????//

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE:White am staff

sorry to take so long I only have access to my computer @ work for right now.
It can be VERY stressful especially when you have no idea what is going on or what to do. I work in the medical field and it helped me out some what in realizing what stella was going through. The best thing you can do while he/she is haveing a seizure is stay calm, speak softly and be as comforting as you can. You should be aware that most dogs loose there sense of smell, there hearing and there vision. Stella loose all 3 when she has one. Unfortunaly she will not let us hold her, she is in no way a aggressive dog but when she has a seizure she is lost and gets jumpy and has growled at us. She doesn't remember who we are until she starts coming out of it and we sit next to her while she has them and we talk to her and tell her she is a good girls and she is ok,call her by her nickname mooshie until she comes out of it and then she'll run around the house worried she did something bad to someone she has to check on everyone even our kids just to make sure there ok. When she first started haveing seizures they where not often enough for us to put her on medication. We just started PB therapy in febuary of this yr. If your pup is starting to have them more than once a month I would find a GOOD vet. We went through 2 to find the one we have now and I love her she is great! She wants to know every time stella has a seizure she has monitored her meds very close to make sure they're not hurting her liver . PB is very hard on the liver, potassium bromide is alittle better but usually they start them out w/ PB and if needed they add the bromide. You need you to have him evaluated for the seizures, see if medication is a option for him. Sounds like it to me. It really is not that expensive. I pay 17.06 for 60 pills. she takes them twice a day. they last a month. They have to be given exactly 12 hrs apart or she runs a high risk for having a seizure. Back to your dog sorry.......But you really should take him in. If he starts haveing clusters where they don't stop one right after the other he can die. We do have valuim for stella if this happens because it breaks the cycle. Stella also only has hers @ night I am not sure why. So she sleeps w/ my husband and I so we can monitor her. So have your pup sleep w/ you. You should really never leave a epi dog alone if you need to buy a kennel that way he can't hurt himself while your gone that's what we have to do. If your pups seizures are lasting longer than 5 min and he is "running" when he clapses and trys to get up walks into things and is foaming @ the mouth loosing his bowles he very well could be having a grand-mal. IT can take anywhere from 1 min to 2 hrs for him to go back to normal. The worst one for stella was her first seizure, it took 2 1/2 hrs for her to realize who we where. Where she was and that she was ok. Also keep in mind and be patient w/ your pup if he starts doing puppy puppy stuff again, they sometimes can have minimal brain damage if it's a bad seizure. Stella has regressed alot since her first one because she had some bad ones before we got her on meds. It is very hard to take care of a epi dog, but when you love them as much as we love ours it's not so bad. You wouldn't abandon a sick child? Same goes for dogs w/ seizures just because they have a problem you don't just abandon them. If money is an issue really the only expensive part is the first visit and the blood work. Around $170-$200 includes blood work. Also just a thought Some dogs have things that trigger there seizures, like allergies, change in the weather, studden changes at home, more stress than usual coming from you. Sometimes they try and take on some of our stress and that can have negative health effects on them. keep the stress level to a minimum if at all possible. I know first hand how hard that can be. I hope I have helped you alittle. If you have anymore questions let me know. my e-mail is [email protected] hotmail.com.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing him being a white pit doesn't matter. Stella is a rednose.....

stella camping w/ our kids.... of course she won't lay on the ground she prefers to have a cushion to lay on.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
My baby

Thank you so much for the heartfilled post. It was comforting to know that there is hope for Oliver to live a happy life after sezures. We took him to the vet today and had his blood work done and pee pee test. total cost was $250 : ( but not to bad to find out whats going on with my baby. We will know the results tomorow. He didnt have a sezure last night so it was a good night. He also sleeps with us. He is my cuddle bear. They let us know about the sezure meds, and the side effects does stella have any side effects to the meds. Is she still the same dog. Or is she always sleepy? We think that it is dairy that triggers the sezures. So we are going to cut dairy out of his diet, We noticed the trigger after giving him a snack (cheese) Does Stella have any triggers? Thanks agin for your comforting words. Oliver last weekend. He's a HAM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
250 that's not to bad. Stella the first time was $200. the most expensive is the PB level 71 bucks just for that. Make sure your vet does liver function tests on oliver every so often. There are some inital side effects. But after about a month they go away. Stella was really tired and had a balance issue for awhile but those side effects compared to being almost seizure free is nothing. There body has to adjust to the meds, so be patient; But if he is not wanting to get up and go eat or play or is really really off balance gets aggressive call your vet see if you can do some adjusting on the meds. We had to lower stellas dose at first, I knocked her down to 1 whole pill in the a.m and a 1/2 at night but make sure if you do any dosing adjustments they check his PB level to make sure there not overdosing him or under dosing. I'll get the referance ranges for you so you can be aware of where he should be. Stella ended up having a bad grand-mal followed by clusters non-stop for 4 hrs one night and we had to up her dose to 1 whole in the a.m and 1 whole in the p.m. It's taken a good month for the side effects to tapper off, but her vet wants to add potassium bromide if her side effects don't clear up all the way, she's just really really winny. That's really the only hting besides she's been over sensitive. Also see if your vet will let you keep valium on hand just incase he goes into those clusters and you can't break the cycle that will break it so you can get him to the vet ASAP. It usually is about 30 bucks for 1 syringe of valium. ( you 'll have to give it rectally when he has a break in between them if he has clusters) You have a very good looking guy :lol: . He looks like my husbands pit that lived for 15 yrs! She was the best dog ever. As far as triggers go yeah that could trigger a seizure. What did your vet think? Stella really doesn't have a set trigger I think sometimes the change in weather or if there is to much stress in the house. I am soooo glad you took him in! Stay on you rvet for htose esults. Did they do a thyroid panel to? (tsh, free t4, t3) Thyroid problems can trigger seizures to. Please keep me posted...... Let me know how the results are. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is EPI

Results are in and the Vet says it is Epilepse. :crybaby: He said that Olivers liver is good and that his thyroid was good. He said that we should document every time Oliver has a sezure, what he did that day what did he eat etc. We Cut Dairy out NO LEFT OVERS and He has been sezure free for about a week. I guess we just take one day/night at a time and pray that the sezures dont come back. For a wile at least, from what I understand the meds can be realy hard on his liver so I dont want to start it to soon. We let him run free yesterday wail we were hiking and I was praying so hard that the excitement of the day didnt trigger a sezure, Oliver is such an active dog that if he was unable to do the things he used to we would have no choice but to start the Meds. Luckly he was fine through the night he slept like a LOG Sezure free. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the support. Oliver is my best friend and Verry Spolied child and It feels good that someone understands that it isnt just a dog he is my JOY....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
meds

Don't wait to long on the meds....if he needs them he needs them. Sometimes the longer you wait and if his seizures get worse it can cause brain damage. Yes it is hard on there liver but thats why the vet should monitor his LFT'S(liver functions) along with PB(phenobarbital) levels. That way if he is getting to much PB and his lft's are elevated the vet can look at adding or switching to Potassium Bromide and decreasing the PB. That is much easier on the liver. Also helps control them better. Iam not sure why vets don't offer that one first ? It's more expensive though but not by much. We will have to add potassium bromide to stella's meds. She had a bad night last night she has been seizure free for 2 months and had 3 seizures one right after the other last night a cluster night!. The last one was so bad she collapsed on the kitchen floor just so tired it drained her. She stayed asleep the rest of the night though. I forgot to tell you when oliver has a seizure you should keep all NATURAL vanilla icecream on hand. Give him about 1 tbsp after his seizure it will help bring up his glucose levels(sugar levels) because they can bottom out after a seizure, and it helps them to come around alot fast. If not the icecream then 1 tbsp pure honey. The B vitamins will help to calm him and bring the sugar levels back up.
Here is a record chart you can download it has been helpful to me I hope it will help you keep track of oliver. This website has also been very helpful information wise to.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/seizure_and_med_record.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear about last night

So was there any thing that triggerd her? I am so sorry to hear about the clusters. I know how painful it is to just have to watch them in that horrible state with nothing you can do. So are you going to have her meds adjusted? How long has stela had epi? Thanks for the link I will look into it & about the honey. My Love to you and your puppy, and hopes for a sezure free night. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi, I just wrote in about seizures and someone sent me to your posting. This is really odd because my EB has seizures and it sounds just like hers except, she only has grand mal seizures and then is VERY disoriented afterwards, eats everything she can eat, drinks a lot of water,and wants to go outside afterwards but doesn't know why she's out there. Walks into walls, doors, furniture,etc. She started to have hers after a "miracle "shot the vet gave her for skin itchiness and an ear infection. He said it was a reaction to the meds, but they have not stopped. She had a seizure 8 times in 6 months. She is on .25mg PB, twicw a day. She also has blood work every couple months. Since she had been on the meds she was fine until 2 months ago and a seizure then yesterday she had another one. They only happen when she's sleeping, day or night. The vet told me to give her 1 extra dose yesterday, then return to normal dosage today. She's doing fine today but they come when ever. I've never noticed any stressful situations though but she does eat some table food. She started these when she was 3 yrs. old. She will be 5 in April 2007. Is your dog on a low dosage, my vet says what mine is on is the lowest so I shouldn't be so worried, but I know it messes up their liver. She has no thyroid problems, they checked that out also, checked for diabetis, that was negative. When she has them, I just sit next to her and try to soothe her by petting her softly from neck down and repaet her name telling her all is ok. Afterwards she wants to be right next to me. I know she is confused but it does hurt to see them that way. I am tender hearted anyway, then I cry because I'm scared one day she won't come out of them, it is scary!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Princess52
Sorry to hear about the sezures. We started giving Oliver the same Meds that your giving your puppy and we have been sezure free for a month he has to go in this week to check his blood levels. We have luckly not had any break through sezures with the low doseage. YEt is the word I hope. I truly feel for you and please keep me posted it is hard to watch apart of your family go thrugh this and not be able to do any thing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Seizures

I wrote a while back conserning my Princess's seizures, well today she would not stop having them. My vet cam to my house and I made the decision to PTS her. I don't know if she knew I said good bye, but we did find out she did have a brain tumor. And they would continually get worse if not one time and maybe it would have been today that she'd pass on anyway. It is hard as - - - - , right now. But I know one day we will see each other again at the Rainbow Bridge. When I gave her a kiss bye she looked at me and just layed down, so maybe she knew I was doing it for her. This the picture I took 4 days ago. So happy, and gentle to a baby Min Pin. She will be with me always in my heart and mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hello , i had to post

i am sorry your dog is going thru this , i have a son who has eplipesy and it is a hard thing to watch , whether it is a skin kid or fur one. eplipesy is a horrid thing to deal with. the unknown . my son has seizures that do not stop on there own , he has to have diastat (gell valium rectal suppository) at the onset of a seizure.

it is important to know tha diagnosis of eplipesy is a very brosd term ,it simply means seizure disorder. and there are literally thousands of reasons for seizures and sometimes there is no reason.

a seizure is where the brain elictrical activity goes from choactic firing to a set pattern. there are also many kinds of seizures. petite , grand , absence , all happen in children and animals.

so really i just wanted to say please keep a good eye on your precious baby , they might be having a seizure and you not even realize it. like in an absence seizure. they can just stare off into space and be not there for as little as 10 seconds to minutes at a time. i see someone else posted a link to a seizure site , please join a group that deals with this specifically as they can give great advice on diffrent things like meds and environmental things to watch out for.

also when my son was on phenobarbital one of the side effects was sun sensitivity , i dont know if the same is true for dogs but it might be somethionhg to look out for whenshe is outside.

ya'll will be in my thoughts and prayers , i hope all goes well for ya

·
Registered
361 Posts
When they did an autopsy they did find out she did have a brain tumor about as big as a quarter. We have no idea how long she had it. If that was what caused them to start in the beginning, and when it grew that's when she had a seizure. It was also malignant. So I do believe the best for her was to go over the Rainbow Bridge. There she will be free and no pain or illnesses again. And I know I will see her again. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing my holistic vet told me is that the rabies vax can be a trigger for seizures. That is when my AB first had his. I am going back tomorow to see her for the second time, and she said we can look at doing some cleanses and homeopathic remedies to try to combat the cause of the seizure. Also, one technique I have read about that supposedly helps is pressing on the eyelid\ball when seizing. This is supposed to cause the Vaga Nerve to release something that helps to shorten the seizure, if not prevent them from going into one, and also helps with the post siezure stumbles. It is a horrible thing to go through, they are so helpless when it is happening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update on Oliver

Well Oliver has been sezure free for the last four months. He is on Phenelbarbital he takes one in AM and one in PM, no sezures sence he started the meds. So there is HOPE out there!!He is living a happy normal life as a three year old pitty. I will knock on wood for the chance of them comming back. I know first hand how it is when there going threw a full on seize and Its Heart breaking. We added a puppy to our family and we have been so greatful for every second of it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.