Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, I have never seen an infection like thisone.

About 2 days ago, I noticed a bad ear smell coming from Catos ears. So I stopped him and looked in one, and it was pinker then usual, and had claw marks on the inside, I looked at the other, same thing.
So I cleaned them well, they weren't really dirty though, like yeast or wax, just alittle dirt from playtime.
Since they were clean, and had some claw marks, I thought maybe he had just been itching, and they will clear up now that they are really clean. I am not one for meds unless there is no other option.

Last night, the smell was there agin and 10 times worse. AND the inside of his ears were red, swollen, and feverish. His nose was hot and dry and he just wanted to be held in my lap all night long, he even slept on my chest(ya, all 60 lbs of him!!!) He is miserable.

Daizy had a severe ear infection when she was tiny from swimming, and the vet made me by an ear goop for like $75. He told me it was the best around. Then a few months ago, Gary my peke got one, and the vet made me buy it again, another $75 because this was a different on call weekend vet that didnt believen me that I already had the best ear goop!

So I have 2 bottles, and I started Cato on it last night. I hope it works, he is so miserable, not smiling, depressed, wanting to be held, barely wagging, poor, poor baby.

I will give it till what??Tomorrow or Friday to see if it is kicking in. After all, they tell me it is the best med for ear infections you can get!

Can you give a pup, at 60 lbs anything for a fever??I havent taken his temp, but I will, and I bet he has one.

The only thing I can think of is when we were in Alabama last weekend, he might have had an accident in his cage for my dad, even though he didnt tell me, and maybe dad gave him a bath and got water in his ear???Seems Daizy and Cato are the only dogs I ever had that get ear infections, and Gary just had his absolute first one ever.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, strange, wonder what else it could be. Havent changed food, avacados are gone now, nothing different.................................. :roll:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Here's a great ear cleaner I discovered when I fostered a cocker - you use it daily-

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleanerRecipe.txt

Ingredients:

White vinegar
Powdered boric acid
Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
Betadine antiseptic (or generic equivalent)

Directions for mixing the solution together:

Pour 6 ounces of isopropyl alcohol in to a plastic applicator bottle.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of boric acid powder.
Add 2 ounces of white vinegar.

Shake the solution extremely well, until the boric acid powder is fully dissolved.
Once the powder is dissolved, add one teaspoon of the Betadine antiseptic, and
shake it up some more.

Squirt the solution inside your dog's ear until the ear canal is completely full.
Massage the outside of the ear to help slosh the cleaning solution around inside.
Hold the dog still for about a minute.

Be sure to shake the solution up really well before each and every time you use it.
The boric acid has a tendency to settle at the bottom of the bottle.
Store at room temperature.

Use the cleaning solution daily until you start to see some improvement.
Gradually cut back to once per week when you are happy with the condition of the ear.
When the ear seems completely free of infection, you can go two weeks between treatments.

This recipe came to you from Jim & Kellyn Zimmerlin
www.zimfamilycockers.com

I used it even on my daughter a few days ago as she got an infection in her outer ear canal from swimming :oops: it worked great!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When Bogart had his ear infection, our vet gave us tresaderm to use. It was about $23.00-much cheaper, but I guess if you already have the other stuff then yeah makes sense to just use that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't be afraid to really get in there with a Q-tip when applying the ointment. You cannot poke a dog's ear drum. Their ear canal is shaped like the letter L, so unless they make one that goes around corners you can go pretty deep.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He seems so much better. I think the meds really worked, and quickly too. His ears smell normal again, not red and swollen, and he is back to his old happy, goofy self.

I never pay much attention to easr before. The only real time I cleaned them is after bath or swimming.

Dixie has cropped ears and she never has a problem. I seriously think because the pups ears flop over, it causes less air to get in them and they get infected easier. I know people debate this, but I swear it is true. Never have I had a dog w/ cropped ears get an ear infection(they have always been in the house) But the humidity in our state, heat, great breeding ground for yeast. Water from swimming, even though I try to dry them...I dunno!

But thanks, I have ot to work more on taking notice in the ears from now on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.