Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...you all know that I have asked quetions about Nikki and Glen and her behavior around him. Well, I have come to realize that she is just a big fraidy cat and I hate it. I picked her out because she was the only one of the litter not jumping around on all of us and seemed so good. I was very wrong. I am so unhappy with how she behaves with Glen! It makes me very mad to see that she won't respond to anything he says even with food in his hand and it has become a problem with even me. She has changed in just the last few days even. I have to call her several times and even go get her to go outside and potty or even eat. I am worried that I got a problem child and I don't want it to later blow up in my face. Should I contact the breeder and ask for a replacement pup? Can I after 3 weeks? Someone please give me some advice. Any opinions would be great. I took her to see my vet and she even thinks that she has a very weak mind. She urinated on the floor when the Dr. came into her. The Dr. was even a female and then she hid under the table. She wouldn't even come out for a treat. HELP!!

****UPDATE
I just spoke with the breeder and he said that he has no problem with swapping out pups. I feel so bad because I love her already. Is there anybody out there?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
deuce's mommy said:
Breeder? I thought she was a rescue? Good luck with her.
You guys!! Why does everyone think that? LOL No she wasn't a rescue she was purchased from a breeder in Cleburne Texas. Melissa, your a nerd. I swore I told you that! (o:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
It's hard to say....I think she needs a chance. Take her to see a behaviorist. Most all of our dogs have some sort of behaviour that we do not care for, but we work with them to get through it. It's ultimately your choice, but I think she needs help.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I agree with Kasco, but in the end it's up to you. We have issues with Koda too, and I don't know if it's because he had parvo when we first got him or what. But he'll be outside forever, and as soon as he comes in he pees in the floor. But we just keep our patience and work with him as best as we can. We don't have the $$ for a behavior class, but there's no way I could give him up! I'd give her a little more time and see how it goes...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I get confused. Do you realize how many posts I read on a daily basis. ALL OF THEM. My job is really boring by the way. Well anyway, hope everything works out with her or the new pup. Deuce is going to be sad if he doesn't get to meet her.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
*I* knew she was from a breeder. :D haha

Well I had Koa for a few weeks and thought about taking him back when he had skin problems and bloody diarrhea. I ended up waiting out his immune system problems, and (obviously) he recovered and I'm glad I kept him. BUT this is different. Not so easy to "wait out" and I'm not sure if you can "fix" weak nerves, can you? Anyone?

I honestly don't know what advice to give you, so I'm no help. If you swap her, I will understand why. If you don't, I wish you luck building her confidence. I'm here if you just wanna talk about it. I wish I could do more! xoxox

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's not that I don't or won't work through this with her. It is that I really wanted to do some things with her. I like the idea of agility and OB but if she has this kind of attitiude towards the unknow how can we do anything as a team. She has become more and more submissive towards even me. She will crawl to me when I call her sometimes as if I am going to beat her or something. Hind sight says that I picked her for the wrong reasons. Her behavior when we got her was not normal puppy behavior to me. She wasn't jumping around competing for attention like her brothers. I don't want to get bashed for giving up on her because it isn't like that.

****Edit
It's not fair to compare the problems I am specifying with potty problems. I can work through those issues and I could work through these. I just wanted someone to take on the world with me and she just doesn't seem to be that one. I socialize her well and she has been introduced to other dogs and it is always the same outcome. She tucks her tail and lays down at your feet and rolls over on her back!....oops took me a while to type that and you guys already replied....thanks for understanding! (o:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Ahhh....yes....that changes things a bit. It's different when you planned on doing something with her like that. You've got a tough situation on your hands. :(

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Once again, I agree with Kasco. I understand more how you feel, and it sucks. It's going to be a hard decision. But maybe some words of encouragement...when we first decided to get Shelby, we knew we wanted a female, and she was the only one left. Instead of looking around, we went on and took her. From the time we picked her up she was very submissive, and always hid, especially around men, like Nikki does. She took to my husband, and my father, but to this day she doesn't like men. It took her about 6-8 months before she would act normal around people other than us, and now she does great. She's very protective, but boxers are like that, and I'm glad I kept her and stuck it out. But unfortunately not all situations are the same, so it's up to you whether you think Nikki will grow out of it. Personally, I would contact a behaviorist first, and get a professional opinion, and if they think she won't grow out of it then do what you have to do. We all understand your situation, and the last thing we'll do is bash you for it... :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
What was her breeder talking about her confidence? Did you asked him why she don't want to compete for attention?
Angelika

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If you are not happy with her and the breeder is willing to replace her then go for it. Puppies (especially bulldog puppies or other working breeds) should not be fearful and submissive. That would be a big red flag for me. Many times these things just can't be fixed. Are you willing to take that chance? A fearful pup can be a real pain to live with and sometimes it can even turn into a liablilty depending on the severity espeically when the fearfullness is towards people.

My only suggestion is that if you get a replacement, do NOT get one from the same litter. If there are no other littters on the ground I would wait until another breeding. Chances are, your pup isn't the only one in that litter with issues.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
A dog is only as smart as its owners :idea: ..and you have not had her very long and she was a bit older when you did get her..I would say work with her..give her a chance..was the breeder you got her from a female or male :?: ..and if both present whom worked with the pups :?: if they were worked with at all :?: ...just a few questions

Dont take this to heart it is not ment to be a peronal attack :shock: ...I think you are starting to go thru dogs like underwear..Give them a half of a chance and if you cannot afford proper training maybe reconsider dog ownership for now..

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Erica said:
Dont take this to heart it is not ment to be a peronal attack :shock: ...I think you are starting to go thru dogs like underwear..Give them a half of a chance and if you cannot afford proper training maybe reconsider dog ownership for now..
give her a little bit of a break on this. She gave up Sugar because the original owners asked for her back after they went through an aweful divorce. And Zena, she was a foster so it would have been bad if she had stuck around for a while. It is not like she gave them up because she couldn't handle them.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Erica said:
A dog is only as smart as its owners :idea: ..and you have not had her very long and she was a bit older when you did get her..I would say work with her..give her a chance..was the breeder you got her from a female or male :?: ..and if both present whom worked with the pups :?: if they were worked with at all :?: ...just a few questions

I don't think that Hug a bully's problems are training issues, they are temperament issues. Not the same.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Erica said:

Let me just address the one thing that ruffled my feathers...I don't know why you would say that I go through dogs like underwear? When it comes to Sugar I will take all things to heart and that comment was very crappy! Walk a mile before you care to comment on that subject please! As far as my FOSTER Zena well, that was only me trying to help. I had no plans on keeping her! She has some issues that I didn't care to expose my family to. So what other dogs are we talking about?
I will do whatever need be to have a healthy and happy dog. I cannot change a dogs fearful or submissive traits! I will not have a liability in my house or near my children! I am not saying that she was that bad but who is to say that it wouldn't become that bad? What good will it do to throw money at the problem Erica? I have spoken with Lisa about these issues and she suggested from day one that Nikki was not the normal puppy because she didn't fight for attention when we picked her out. She was the only one who was very quiet and calm. I being inexperienced at choosing a puppy chose her because I thought she would be great for the kids because she wouldn't jump up on them. The condition slowly worsened and here we are today.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I agree with Luvabull.... you gotta do what you gotta do...

BUT - if you were looking for an agility dog or what ever - why would you choose the pup who was the least excitable? Wouldn't you want a pup who was interested in new things and not fearful?

What if the next dog is not what you are looking for or has issues you aren't willing to deal with and work with? What if the next one is afraid of your husband or doesn't "bond" with him? What if the next one has issues you don't "care to expose your family to"?

This is going to sound harsh but I don't feel sorry for you... I feel sorry for little Nikki... She is already fearful of new situations and she is about to be ripped away from the only things she knows and loves. Can you imagine what her confidence will be like after that?... Poor Nikki
If she is that fearful, it would almost be more humane to euth her...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts