Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.

In 1898, Chauncy Bennet formed the UKC. APBT’s varied phenotypically from lanky to stocky. UKC APBT were judged on performance (fighting) as well as conformation shows and the breed’s standard.Less stringent on looks. weight are 30-80lbs

The ADBA was started by Guy McCord 1909 created to test the performance quality of a APBT .ADBA main focus was on weight pulling competitions. Their confirmation

AKC in 1936 decided to register pitbulls but under a different name, the Staffordshire Terrier, which was later changed to the American Staffordshire Terrier in 1972. AKC pits were bred solely for conformation and their breed requirements became much more stringent. The American Staffordshire Terrior, phenotypically, became “flashier” with blockier heads, larger chests and a thicker jaw. Through years and years of breeding for shows the AST looks has changed from the APBT looks. weight: 30-60lbs

BullydogBreed.com
" In the eyes of the United Kennel Club, they are the same breed, but many disagree. Some AKC-registered American Staffordshire Terriers are dual-registered as American Pit Bull Terriers with the UKC; however, this draws criticism from many who point out that the bloodlines have been separate for too long for these to be considered the same breed."

American Pitbull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier are still the same breed. American Staffordshire Terrier breeders kept linebreeding (incest) the same looking dog for shows with blockier heads, larger chest and thicker jaw.

About 20 years ago a man decided he wanted a bigger better pit, with both show quality and performance. So he decided to breed a 70lb UKC American Pitbull Terrier(performance) with a 60lb AKC American Staffordshire Terrier (wider chest blockier heads and thicker jaw) , and Staffordshire Bull Terrier(stocky, muscular, and agile) genes got mixed up in there.
And then came about the new Breed of American Pitbull Terrior and American Staffordshire Terrior. The Bullier Breed.
"Short and wide". " Big and muscular."

American Pitbull Terrier

30-80lbs Performance, Agile
+
American Staffordshire Terrier
30-60lbs blockier heads, larger chest and thicker jaw.
+
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
25-50lbsstocky, muscular, and agile

SHAZAM!!!

80lbsthis is what he's trying to achieve with this breed. Performance, Agile,blockier heads, larger chest and thicker jaw,stocky, muscular,

·
Registered
64 Posts
that staff must be verry big and a lot bigger in real life than the pic makes him look, of verry over weight and the pic just makes him look good (do you have a pic of the dog he used?), the old standard 4 the staffishire bull terrier was 2in taller than the max height now making it 18in tall and the low end was 1in taller then the now standard making it 15in, when they droped the height 4 the new standard they did not drop weight, the weight has stayed the same and that was and is 24lb - 38lb (11kg - 17kg) so to get a staff that big :!: (sure that it was not a mix to start with :lol: )

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
SHAZAM! Funny!!! :lol: Ahhhh, that is why Dixie and her family run so stocky and so dang thick w/ huge heads........There are many dual reg. GCH in her ped!!! Funny :lol: :lol:

Thanx 4 the info :wink:

·
Registered
720 Posts
These big pitbulls have been around for a long long time I am 36 years old and I remember my friend had a 100lb pit when I was only 10 so thats 26years ago! He came from a kennel called (Land of the giants) Where the breeder produced these for working dogs Farm work, hog hunting and personal protection work! I remember this one time this old man down the street always let this big germanshepherd out to chase us kids and that dog bit a few of us anyway one day we was walking home from school and he let that dog out and we started running and screaming for help and my friends mom was sitting on the porch with Rex (that was his name) and he seen that dog chasing us kids and jumped off the porch and killed that dog in a matter of a few minutes, right then and there I fell in love with that breed! That dog would watch all of us kids like a hawk and would never let anything happen to us. He ended up dying when I was 22yrs old I think he was about 14yrs old then but what an awesome dog! I always thought of a pitbull as being a strong stocky dog with a big blocky head, alot of people in my neigborhood owned them back then and the smallest male I can remember was at least 70lbs!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Now....they are ALL pitbulls. Just some look better than others, according to preferences. I agree with you , but tha t is choice. Regardless, they are all pitbulls.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Back in the day you never seen dogs like these called pitbulls...it wasnt untill everone started getting them and the breeding went wild, back yard breeders would have a female outside and it would get taged by the lab down the street and they would still register and sell these dogs you cannot tell me it does not happen! Show me one old photo with a pitbull that looks this gumpy and I will shut my mouth!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
A real pit bull:

HUNTING/BAITING

Survival for dogs selected for gripping large game or for baiting bulls, boars or bears depends first and foremost on being very agile on their feet (to avoid claws, hooves and horns). Overly short, stocky dogs lack the mobility to get out of the way.

Since baiting dogs were often tossed high into the air by the enraged bull, a lithe, compact body was necessary to survive the landing. A large dog, or a heavy dog, will be injured when they hit the ground.

DOG FIGHTING

Dogs who win possess "wind" meaning endurance. It is a well known fact that the larger the animal, the less endurance it possesses. A smaller frame is more economical.

Small ear, small eyes, strong jaws and an athletic body built for wrestling for a hold are essential.

In its history as a hunting, baiting and later, fighting dogs, the pit bull has always weighed between 25 and 65 pounds. According to Sporting Dog Journal match reports, the average weight of matched dogs is 44 pounds.
Taken from Diane Jessup's wonderful website www.workingpitbull.com

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
ambull040769 said:
sajoseph said:
Now....they are ALL pitbulls. Just some look better than others, according to preferences. I agree with you , but tha t is choice. Regardless, they are all pitbulls.
Mixed with what? Lab? Beagle? Roflmao :lol:
The question is do they have papers to prove they are a pitbull??? My bro in law has a Dangerzone pitbull, if you are familiar w/ the bloodline, they are HUGE and look merciless. Yet, his loks like a squawky little "mix", but he is not. He even got to witness the breeding, birth, etc. The female was never around another male during ovulation/heat. So you get an "odd" one once in a while. It's a little one, but it's a pitbull!

I agree the last one isn't that bad, he looks ok. I am JUST SAYING, open your minds, don't let your personal preferences lead you to criticize others dogs. And it does. My Dixie is comparable to your preference, and when people criticize that "look" it does strike a nerve, because she is a pitbull, whether or not you "LIKE HER LOOK" she -is -pitbull!!!AMEN!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Colby pitbulls are not gumpy like that one I posted I have owned a few dogs in the past with colby blood in them my female was about 60lbs and my male was 70lbs...his dogs are realy game bread animals and far to animal agressive thats why I stopped breeding them because alot of people I was selling pups to turned out to be fighting them!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.