Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: My bully has suddenly started scratching herself constantly, almost to the point of bleeding.
She also has developed welts on her side. Nothing has changed in her feeding or habits.
Any clue as to what may be wrong

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Sounds like an allergy of some sort. I would take her in to the vet to figure out how to determine the specific cause of the allergy.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Chico gets the same way. He'll chew all of his fur off under his tail and scratch behind his ears til they bleed. It's so frustrating. It turns out that he has seasonal allergies. It's similar to hayfever that people get. Your dog may have the same problem. I give Benadryl to Chico when it gets really bad. It helps a bit, I don't know if you've tried that. Give 1mg. per pound of body weight. It sounds like a lot but I guess dogs need a larger dose than people.

Amber

·
Registered
66 Posts

Great advice Amber. Good to know one mil. per lb. also. I had heard that dogs could take higher doses but never had a figure to go by. Our AB goes nuts scrathing and the meds help a lot. We hope when the weather gets back to normal, it has been in the high 80's or 90's for quite a few weeks, she will be a little less itchy and raw.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would try switching the dog food (gradually of course). Many times dogs can be good on a certain food for a long period, and then develop an allergy to that food. Sometimes it is as simple as switching foods.

I recently read an article on dog allergies, and the vet being interviewed said she can correct 90% of the cases by switching food.

Worth a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I woke up this morning and Arnold had welts all over the bottom half of his body! His eye was swollen shut as well....Im not sure what it could be from...maybe a spider bite??? I gave him a benadryl allergy...he is about 60 pds....hopefully it kicks in..I feel sooo bad!! Is that enough, or should I give him another one?? Does this happen often to anyone elses dog?? It seems like its always something with him....he is so sensitve to everything!...Arnold is my first dog....so of course, I get freaked out by even the smallest things. I need all the advice I can get!! Anyone?? :roll:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
eye swollen shut does not sound good...if it last a while take him to the vet. If you think it may be a spider bite not good either...I am a worry wart though...slightest thing mine are at the vet!

·
Registered
6 Posts
lol...me too.....it actually got better, thank God! I think he may of gotten stung by a bee or something...it only lasted a day though...and he wasnt acting sick, just looked bad....I wish he could talk..it would make my life so much easier, and I would be so stressed!...lol

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Arnold said:
lol...me too.....it actually got better, thank God! I think he may of gotten stung by a bee or something...it only lasted a day though...and he wasnt acting sick, just looked bad....I wish he could talk..it would make my life so much easier, and I would be so stressed!...lol

Dont we all...I am glad he is doing better! Keep an eye out for discharge in the eye...if you think he may have gotten stung around it it may be pussy for a day or 2. When I was young I got stung by a wasp on my eyelid and it went through and got my eye...it was swollen for about 2 days but for a year after...every morning I woke up with my eye swollen shut! After an hour it was back to normal!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have been giving Tallulah benadryll and it seems to be helping her. Was wondering if any particular shampoo might be better or worse?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts