Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Cool! I need to figure out a spot to put one up at my house.

To the last 2 that asked - a spring pole is a great way to exercise your dogs. ABs, APBTs...pretty much any bully should be into it.

Read all about it here: http://www.workingpitbull.com/springpole.htm

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah for the inquiring minds, it is a good way to exercise your bully. I got the how to here on the forum, went to home depot and for $30bucks and a tree finally found a toy that lasted longer than Sheila :lol: Works out her hind legs really well and gets her worn down a bit to go to bed. We usually walk her at night for about 2 miles or so and when heading in let her use the spring pole for 15-20minutes. She does have days that she is not interested in it, but for the most part she loves it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I miss my spring pole and the noises my dog used to make on it LOL...I can see why some neighbours may be weary of it, my dog would growl so loud while on that thing, he loved it and was so into it, but I could see how some people misunderstand it as 'training'

miss the pooches so much right now :cry: :cry:
hopefully I get settled back in much sooner than later

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Yeah, Orson loves his springpole too!
I either have a rope or a tire-biter tire to the end of it.
(If anyone makes one, be sure your dog can touch his back feet to the ground) If your dog loves tug, this is a great game for them.
Great way to get them tired!!! :wink:

Thanks for showing these Shelia pics so everyone new here could
find out the joys of the springpole!!

Here's Orson on his:

·
Registered
241 Posts
So how young is too young?

Should I play around with Nelson with pull toy and see if he likes it and bring him off the ground a lil bit and if he likes get him one? Or should I wait till he is older he is umm -/9 weeks old now

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
You can certianly introduce Nelson to the material that you will be using on the spring pole. Welders sleeves make a perfect material. I know alot of folks use rope material, but I knew of a pitty *break* out a canine when it got stuck. <<shiver>> I don't know how common that is... but... sheesh!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Philo loves the spring pole! It is a great way for them to burn off energy.
Yesterday we had to buy another spring and chew to dangle off the rope. She wrapped the
first one around the tree and stretched out the spring. We put the new one up and she
seriously played for a 1.5hours.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Start off w/ a flirt pole before you go to the trouble of building a spring pole. A flirt pole can be made for only a few bucks. Buy a piece of 1" pvc, drill a hole in each end, and buy some thick rope to tie a toy to each end. Then "tease" your dog with it, letting them chase, jump for, and sometimes grab the toy at the end, then tugging on it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
BanterBull said:
Start off w/ a flirt pole before you go to the trouble of building a spring pole. A flirt pole can be made for only a few bucks. Buy a piece of 1" pvc, drill a hole in each end, and buy some thick rope to tie a toy to each end. Then "tease" your dog with it, letting them chase, jump for, and sometimes grab the toy at the end, then tugging on it.
Thanks for being so helpful :D

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
iluvmypit said:
blittle said:
This is an old video of Bodawg on the spring pole some of you may have seen. Need to shoot some new stuff I guess :)

http://www.adinms.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/2-28-2005.mpg
Great seeing it in action So I guess when they have finished playing or are tired they just let go? Doesnt it hurt their jaw?
Yeah, totally voluntary. If it hurts at all, they won't do it. But, bully breeds usually have a high pain threshold, so it's really enjoyable to them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts