Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off: Orson has been dog-aggressive since he was about 8 months old.

Well, we went out of town this weekend so had to board him at the kennels. Last time he was there was like 7months ago and i was shocked then that he played with the dogs.
I figured now there would be NO WAY he'd be able to be around any dogs, cause he even hates cartoon dogs on TV.

So, i called the kennel today to see how he was doing around other dogs. They said, "Fine, he's been in the small yard with a few other dogs.
He got snappy a couple times, but we just took him inside for a break then took him back out." :shock:
Whaaaat? How come if he's with me, he acts like he wants to kill dogs?!
The kennel said he's probabally "resource guarding" me.

Any ideas or anyone else faced this problem??

·
Banned
205 Posts
Why is the kennel letting him play with other dogs, especially after he got "snappy" ...? Better yet, why are you letting it happen? Never know what could happen or what lawsuit could come about.

-- mr c

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Leash aggression could be it!.... When I worked at the dog daycare there were a few dogs that were fine around each other even played with each other in groups. But when in the lobby waiting to be taken back in the presence of mommy and daddy turned into devil dogs! Snapping,Charging,Showing teeth, drooling, barking, etc at dogs they knew. There were a couple of dogs that werent even allowed in the lobby if there were dogs in there! I even at this little American Eskimo dog that her mom handed me her leash and she tried to bite me! But once in group off leash she was an angel and would follow me around!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, think it's more than just leash aggression cause he gets mad
at dogs on tv too! But he has always been able to be around other
dogs at the kennel, last time they said he mostly hung around the
worker. But he has played with the dogs too, they dont put him with all
the dogs, just a couple so they can monitor him. They do alot of
training at this place, so it's not like just any doggie daycare.

When they said "snappy", they meant he was being bossy and a bully,
they are trying to correct that. This place knows full & well I was concerned about dog aggression.

So, because he is "guarding" me from other dogs how do I stop that??
Our OB trainer said to let him know how he did at the kennel, and
that he will decide on the best way to help Orson with his dog aggression.
:?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I know this isnt a laughing matter....but he doesnt like cartoon dogs LMAO! My dog is dog aggresive but i never heard of that before!! Orson is one of a kind

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
OrsonDogge said:
Yeah, think it's more than just leash aggression cause he gets mad
at dogs on tv too! But he has always been able to be around other
dogs at the kennel, last time they said he mostly hung around the
worker. But he has played with the dogs too, they dont put him with all
the dogs, just a couple so they can monitor him. They do alot of
training at this place, so it's not like just any doggie daycare.

When they said "snappy", they meant he was being bossy and a bully,
they are trying to correct that. This place knows full & well I was concerned about dog aggression.

So, because he is "guarding" me from other dogs how do I stop that??
Our OB trainer said to let him know how he did at the kennel, and
that he will decide on the best way to help Orson with his dog aggression.
:?
Did you hear anything from Orson's trainer? I'm not sure on how to start correcting the behavior. I never thought to ask the trainer that came in to work with dogs where I worked...But I'm really interested in what Orson's trainer does to help with it.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
mr c said:
Why is the kennel letting him play with other dogs, especially after he got "snappy" ...? Better yet, why are you letting it happen? Never know what could happen or what lawsuit could come about.

-- mr c
thats what I was thinking!

·
Registered
704 Posts
You must realize that dogs will act differently in new surroundings around new people. The kennel is not his territory, so he feels there is nothing to defend there. Not to mention, it makes him feel a bit unsure..I imagine the snappiness the kennel spoke of was him establishing himself in front of the other dogs. I would not approve of a kennel allowing my dog to interact with other dogs...especially if they were snappy with each other. It only takes a second for a fight to break out, and chances are, thier staff would not be on the ready to break it up..I would be worried about the damage to other's dogs or my own..what if someone got bit?

As it's been said before..a dog doesn't need to "make friends" with other dogs. I am my dog's world, not other dogs. As long as you can take your dog on walks, to shows, etc. without him having a cow (meaning , he should ignore other dogs) that's all that matters. Good obedience training and a solid bond between you and your dog is plenty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
when we were living in b.c. we had this place that took luna when we were working all day. it's was like a "daycare" for dogs and they also did boarding. but it was all groups of dogs - based on personality, etc - just hanging out outside all day in little playgroups.

NEVER ONCE did luna have a problem! it amazed me. i mean, i asked them time and time again what she was like and they always said she was fine. bossy, but fine. i trusted them implicitly with luna - they had known her since a pup and the woman who ran it was a behavioralist. they knew the good AND bad things about luna and her personality, so i always felt that they knew what they were getting into with her around and they were accepting of the responsibility.

but heaven forbid we were with her and introducing to a new dog? 6 out of 10 times it went wrong, so we just stopped all together and depended soley on her doggy daycare days. now in nyc, i miss that place and i feel like she's suffering because of it. but it's hard to go up to people and say, "hey, my dog's a total jerk to other dogs, but maybe they can be friends?" it just doesn't work.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NEVER ONCE did luna have a problem! it amazed me. i mean, i asked them time and time again what she was like and they always said she was fine. bossy, but fine. i trusted them implicitly with luna - they had known her since a pup and the woman who ran it was a behavioralist. they knew the good AND bad things about luna and her personality, so i always felt that they knew what they were getting into with her around and they were accepting of the responsibility.
This kennel is the same way, there is a behavior trainer there and
they do put the dogs in different areas based on personality. I just
picked him up today and they said he did great. But because of his bully-bossy personality, he played too rough for any of the dogs there so he just hung out with the workers and played with them. There was actually a mastiff there who played too rough for Orson.. :lol: he met his match!
But he had no aggression issues, even smelled other dog's butts from behind the fence and the other dog's being in the pens next to him wasnt a bother.
So Carrie, that has to be right about him not feeling territorial there cause
he fence fights at the house but not at the kennel.
And i know Orson doesnt need "dog friends", i could care less...I just
want him to act civil when we go out in public and are around other dogs.

I am calling my trainer tommorrow so we can get this figured out!
And him barking at cartoon dogs blew me away too :lol:
I tell him "Orson, that's not a real dog...it's a human making dog sounds!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts