Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just curious.. how do you breeders ship puppies during the summer months?
I know alot of pups are born spring time, so shipping time ends up the middle of summer.
Do you guys wait to nightfall and put your pups on redeyes or what?

My pom was shipped in january, so I didn't have that problem. My friend's brother (I think)
is supposed to get his AB shipped right now because the dog is 8 weeks old. The problem is
that the breeder is telling him that it's too hot where he is and won't ship the puppy unless
the temperature is under 75 degrees. He claims it won't be that temperature anytime soon,
so he wants him to wait until the next litter instead. This will be a totally different female but
the same male. The guy wants this puppy because he's fallen in love with her, I don't blame
him for wanting the puppy that he has already purchased and claimed as his.

I say the breeder should just put the dog on a night flight, it should be cooler.
What do you think?

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
It's not really up to the breeder, airlines have strict policies regarding shipping animals and when it can be done. If the airline says no, then it's no. And shipping at night isn't necessarily cooler...I'm in GA, and if we're LUCKY, it gets down to about 83 at night. Ugh.

If you do a search on this forum on 'shipping', you'll find a thread with some animal shipping companies that may be able to help with groud transport or another alternative.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
we just had to drive a 900 mile round trip to get our puppy because there is an embargo on flying bulldogs right now. If it isn't a bulldog you might have better luck. Ground shipping is possible too.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the dog is an american bulldog, I'm not sure where the dog is coming from but he
lives in Mass. and he said the flight is about three hours. I would think it's fine overnight.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm getting a pup on Saturday....which comes all the way from Arkansas (I'm on the west coast...British Columbia). What we are doing is we paid the breeders friend $400 to fly WITH the pup out here (our shipping cost more because it's international also). Our pupp is going on the plane as carry on. If your bro wants his puppy A.S.A.P, then tell him to get a stand by ticket (the cheapest) to and from, and just bring the puppy as a carry on. Good luck and I hope he gets his baby soon!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggested that already, but the breeder says the puppy is already too big to fit under the seat in the cabin.
He said it is costing $300 to ship the puppy or IF he were able to take a plane it would've cost him around $500
plus $100 to have the puppy fly with him. Since he's already paying over $1,000 for the dog he said he really
doesn't want to pay that much more. I'm not sure how much he paid for the puppy. The breeder insists even
shipping the dog at dusk it will be too hot. I thought about shipping the dog at midnight, but supposedly the
airport won't allow that. I'd like to know why not. :roll:

·
Registered
320 Posts
How far away is your brother from the breeder? We are pretty much as far away as you can get nationwide and it only cost us $400 total, and it's an international flight. Tell your brother to phone an airline and double check maybe. What kind of dog did your brother get?

Supposedly the planes are actually hotter at night because they release the heat from the day. The best time is actually early morning. It sucks getting a puppy during the summer when you have to deal with shipping. If I ever get another dog I will definetly get him/her during the winter, LOL.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I called ALL the airlines, if it is a bulldog of ANY kind, they will not ship it unless it is 75degrees or less. Trust me, I didn't just want to drive 900 miles for fun, I don't think anyone will do it right now. It is just too hot.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Rachel, I'm not saying to ship it, I'm saying to fly with the dog as carry on so it's in the air conditioned cabin (that's what we are doing on Saturday). But I don't think her brother can though anyways, because the breeder said the dog was too big already. Hopefully it gets cooler out soon!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Vertes3 said:
Rachel, I'm not saying to ship it, I'm saying to fly with the dog as carry on so it's in the air conditioned cabin (that's what we are doing on Saturday). But I don't think her brother can though anyways, because the breeder said the dog was too big already. Hopefully it gets cooler out soon!!!! :)
Oh yeah I understood what you meant I was just posting again becasue she said something about the airports rules! :lol: I know from my experience I'll never ship again in the summer! :wink:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ya having to deal with shipping in the summer REALLY sucks!! We were actually going to get our dog on Wednesday, but then the lady who was going to bring him for us couldn't come because of something to do with work, so now we get him on Saturday. I've just been on pins and needles the whole time waiting.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, it's my friend's brother and I'm pretty sure he said it was an American Bulldog.
That really stinks that they aren't shipping ABs or even pits because they consider them "snub nosed".
They actually don't have smushed faces at all. I don't know where the dog is being shipped from
but I'm guessing it's pretty hot and far away? He's trying to get it shipped here to NY.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
Hi, it's my friend's brother and I'm pretty sure he said it was an American Bulldog.
That really stinks that they aren't shipping ABs or even pits because they consider them "snub nosed".
They actually don't have smushed faces at all. I don't know where the dog is being shipped from
but I'm guessing it's pretty hot and far away? He's trying to get it shipped here to NY.
Depends on the AB...many ABs have smushed faces, particularly Johnson ABs:

Hope your brother's friend is able to figure something out! I wonder if the pup could be shipped by train? Like a passenger train..Amtrak?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Whatever happened to clima controlled cargo areas ? I almost took my dog to Germany with me, and the airlines told me that the heat was not a problem becuase the cargo area is all clima controlled.
I'm thinking maybe they only have that on the bigger planes ??

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
It isn't the temp in the plane or cargo area of the plane. It is the temp in the area they are taking off from and going to, since they can't really say how long the animals will be on the ground before someone picks them up.

Does that make sense? I'm not really good at explaining things

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does that make sense? I'm not really good at explaining things
Ah, yes. Makes much more sense now, thanks. :oops:

Very dangerous indeed, my friend had her APBT shipped from Germany to Atlanta and almost lost the dog, because the idiots left the crate out in the heat for to long. Don't remember the month, but it was summer anyway. The poor dog couldn't even stand up by the time she finally got her. One thing to remember when flying dogs, for some of the people working at those airports your dog is just another piece of luggage.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, he said something about the dog having to sit outside for up to two hours.
Why can't they just put the dog on the plane right away?

I guess you're right about AmBulls having smushed faces, I've seen them more with unsmushed faces.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
No because they are stopping every so often for pooty breaks and food and water and I believe they are in a climate controlled environment. But I am not totally positive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts