Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are about your dog sleeping in your bed with you?

I've read that it can make a dog feel like the alpha and make him feel and be dominate over you. nelson is 7mths old.

currently our sleeping arrangement now is that i sleep in my bed, and nelson sleeps on his beanbag on the floor (on my side of the bed) at night. when he wakes up in the morning and rustles around his bean bag, i take him outside to go to the toilet and then we come back in for a bit of a sleep in for a couple more hours. every now and then when we come in after our morning wee, i let him hop on the bed and we have a sleep in together for a cuople of hrs. he snores like hell, but i love that he cuddles up to me and puts his head on me to go to sleep.

my partner works away two weeks and comes home for one week. when my partner is home, we dont usually have nelson sleeep on the bed because theres not much room.

do u think that it is a bad thing for me to have nelson sleep on the bed with me every now and then? i'd love for him to sleep on the bed with me every night but i jsut don't want him to become dominate over me. waht are ur thoughts?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Some might say it is not good but...

I let both my dogs sleep in bed with me...I love it! They keep me warm at night and I also love they way they automatically cuddle right up with you. My dogs aren't dominant over me either from it. Depends how dominant your dog is to start with. Every once in a while... no harm at all in that (except they may never be satisfied with the beabag again!!)

At my house Its me 5"7...140, My boyfriend 6"3...320, Scarlet 85Lb, and Clutch 30-40 Lb!! All on my queen size! We cram in there!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
I have four dogs and they all jump up on the bed on occasion but they know it is not their bed.
Clara, my apbt, sleeps in her bed beside me at night and she will jump up on the bed in the morning after being let out. She is such a bed hog that it can only be for cuddling. When it is time for sleep, down she goes. It is pretty much the same with the others.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I'm in the same boat as cfhoftampa. We let Haus sleep with us. It's me, my boyfriend who is about the same size as her boyfriend, and Haus all on our queen size. I don't think we could fit another dog in there!

We have taught Haus "Off" and we use it when we want him off the furniture, the bed, us, etc.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I love when mazie sleeps with me she curls up behind my back, which i have a herniated disk, I think she knows it too. She has such a deep snore it makes me sleep better. I let her once in a while, only so she does not think its ok to get on the bed anytime she wants.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's your bed not the dogs.
As long as you both know this, and you have the ability to enforce it if/when he challenges you about it, you'll be OK.
Don't be suprised if he gets the idea that it's his bed at some point and challenges you - but it's not a problem as long as you are able to enforce your dominance. If you're not confident about that don't let him up there, ever.

Example...
Our extremely sweet, snuggly and defering AB has hit his teens (for him it came a little before 2 yrs old).
He's feeling his oats, subtly challenging those he percieves to be the weaker members of the pack.
He has always been allowed to hang out on the bed when we weren't on it, and was frequently invited up for "snuggle time". A couple of months ago he gave a little growl when my son tried to dislodge him from his place on the bed.

We immediately kicked him off the bed. No more bed for him for awhile. Now he gets on the bed only when our son invites him, and he gets the majority of affection while up there from my son. Everything that he gets comes from our son, and he has to obey him in order to get ANYTHING. He's gotten the idea pretty quick, and now he won't get on the bed unless specifically invited by everyone else who is on it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
As long as you have some good training on your dog already, and he knows his place in the pack, sleeping in the bed is fine. My husband works out of town and is gone one-two months at a time....I have Jasper (100 lb AB) Chewy(80lb AB) and Shrek (30lb EB) all in bed with me. I get in first and they lay where I ask them to lay...I am alpha and they know it. Just be prepared if your dog does challenge you, that all human priveledges stop right then, and you need to go back to the basics....OB..make the dog work for his food, you walk in the door before he does, etc...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats all excellent advice thank you. i must admit i'm glad that everyone thinks its ok (as long as he knows its my bed not his) because soem mornings i look forward to our sleep-in cuddles after he goes out for his morning wees. Actually yesterday i took nelson out for his morning wee and then came back in the room and invited him up onto the bed and we slept in for a couple of hours and he started with his head on my stomach and i woke up a hr later due to a loud roaring snore at the back of my head and turned slightly to find Nelson spooning me!! :lol: it was so cute he was facing my back and had one paw just under my armpit! so cute! he's my substitute boyfriend when my human boyfriend is away!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I used to think that it was never a good idea to let your dog sleep with you but as long as your dog knows its your bed and youre the boss I think its ok. Loki can sleep with us sometimes but we invite her up and she knows if we tell her to get down, she will and wont complain.

I have a friend who has a Chart Polski (polish sighthound) and she started letting him sleep in her bed with her when he was about 1 year old. As soon as she did this he became dog aggressive. Its weird. So I guess it depends on the dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts