Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,496 Posts
Our first vet talked us into removing Heidi's dew claws when we had her spayed at 6mos. It was a big mistake and I regret it. The incisions were very large and painful. With certain breeds the dew claws are loose and floppy but Heidi's were tight and attached to the bone. It's basically like having a finger removed. Since she was young and rambunctious, it was very hard to keep the bandages on and clean and they got infected. I think she had the bandages on for almost 2 months. We ended up switching vets and he told me it was completely unnecesary to have them removed unless you are doing a lot of hunting or a sport where the dog will be running through brush a lot. I wouldn't recommend removing them.

· Registered
2,496 Posts
I live in Orange County California, not exactly in the sticks! They removed Heidi's entire toe, not just the nail. She was 6 months old and she will not let me touch her foot at all now without a major struggle. They did it while she was put out but I'm sure she felt pain afterwards. I wish I would have known it would have been so traumatic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.