Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Some dogs ARE NOT born with them, and most good breeders will remove them at 2 days old because there are
no nerve endings there yet so they simply pluck them out. My hospital removes them all the time from large
breed dogs (especially the bully breeds). You wouldn't believe how many dogs would come in having pulled out
their own dewclaws on things and almost bleeding to death, or having pulled them out part ways and it is quite
painful. So many people decide to have them removed during neutering/spaying.

We have yet to have any problems the 5 years I was there. We use a laser method, which removes the nail from
the nailbed. This is a much less painful method compared to the old cut and pull. Not only does the laser heal
faster with much less bloodloss, but in the cut and pull method I have seen the dewclaws grow back (it looks like
a cat's claw.. very thin, sharp, and weird). We generally wrap the foot around the ankle, put a cone on their heads,
and prescribe pain meds. They usually heal in a week or two, the younger the pup the faster it heals.

· Registered
999 Posts
Yep, some dogs have two dewclaws.. some have none.. some have only one.. some have one on each foot (even the back)
and some have TWO dewclaws on each foot. Briards are by standard supposed to have at least two on each foot, we
groom one that has FOUR dewclaws on her back foot.. :shock:

It's absolutely disgusting!

If I knew what a hassle dewclaws were, I would've had my pom's removed when she was spayed. They are the only nails
that grow because the rest file down themselves, so they constantly curl back into the skin and I have to keep on top of
them. God forbid she ever have to be put under for something, I'll have them lasered then.

· Registered
999 Posts
Josie's Proud Mom said:
Not to be a smart a$$ but would you have your or your childs thumbs removed? Dew claws do serve a purpose. I would only remove them if they were causing a problem or if they were painful to the animal. Just mu opinion.
You aren't removing the entire thumb, just the nail.. besides animals don't use their thumbs like we and monkeys do.
I'm not exactly sure WHAT the point of them are, probably to hold on to things maybe but I've seen dogs without
them hold their bones so I don't know..

· Registered
999 Posts
I've never seen a dog with a dewclaw that touches the ground
:shock:

At my hospital, we laser "declaw" the nail and leave the thumb intact.
I thought it was like that everywhere.. why would they remove the entire thumb?

No wonder people consider it painful, those vet hospitals need to catch up with the times.
Simply declaw the digit, don't remove it.

· Registered
999 Posts
The nervous system develops with time, that's why for some breeds you do the tail and ear cropping at
a couple days old. Again, for the dew claws we used to yank the nail out after putting a little topical on it.
We never removed the entire toe, we remove just the nail and the toe is left behind so it looks like a little
bump (fold your thumb in half, that's what it looks like). We remove the dews like one would declaw a cat.
You wouldn't remove the fingers from a cat, why would you remove the entire thumb of a dog?

I guess people do that somewhere, we never did so it healed faster than anything.

· Registered
999 Posts
:shock:

What kind of animal hospitals are out there in the United States!?
I'm in NY and we do nothing of the sort here.. ever heard of LASER declawing?
You laser and "kill" the nailbed, which lets the nail come right out and not grow back.

Geez.. are most vets living under a rock somewhere?

· Registered
999 Posts
That sounds just so.. old fashioned..
I can't believe people out there do that to animals, no wonder so many people are against it called it inhumane.
I had no idea most places do it that way! They put them under, laser the nailbed to kill it, and the nail practically
falls out itself. Then we would bandage the foot around the area of the removed claw and it would heal in about
a week or so with no reaction to touching the foot, etc. I still can't believe places cut the whole toe off. That's insane.

I started working there five years ago and that's how it was done then and now, although I don't work there anymore
I still keep in close contact and they still use that method.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.