Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Patch has been on DVP Organic Formula for about 6-8 weeks now. I don't think he likes it very much at all. I have to mix in wet food or yoghurt, or add gravy to it, otherwise he just sniffs it and walks away.

I would really prefer him to be on a food that he likes.

I spoke to my dog food supplier about this, and he said that the DVP organic formula is probably not as tasty as other foods, and recommended switching him to Nutro Choice Lamp and Rice puppy, which is apparently a little tastier.

I know he's not saying this for sales purposes, because Nutro Choice is actually cheaper than DVP.

Should I switch and see how he goes? Nutro Choice scores an A, and DVP was an A+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes. i might order a smaller bag... and if he likes it i will continue on it.

is it true that you should rotate the food regularly? like, not stick to the same food all the time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Hmmmmm...Not sure about that one...I know some people do. I add stuff sometimes to make it more interesting.(Yogurt, cut up chicken, pieces of steak,etc) I don't do it all the time b/c usually Legend dives right in! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really Leeann?
But it rates an A on the sticky thread?

The guy is dropping off a sample pack of Nutro Choice for me tonight so i can see if Patch likes it. (I have the best food supplier! I love them - they deliver for free, and give you bonus bags for ordering!)

But i won't take him off DVP if you think moving onto Nutro Choice would be a bad move.

As you can see, I really value your opinion.

what can I do about the fact he doesn't really like DVP then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
Really Leeann?
But it rates an A on the sticky thread?
That food rating system is a little flawed, if you ask me. Nutro is way too grain heavy to be a really high quality food. Sure, it has no by-products or corn, but it's still not a great food. It's better than grocery store brands like IAMS and Purina, but it's not a super premium food like DVP is.

I'm not familiar with the DVP Organic Formula, but maybe he just doesn't like that particular formula. Have you tried any of the other DVP varieties?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Patch said:
Really Leeann?
But it rates an A on the sticky thread?
That food rating system is a little flawed, if you ask me. Nutro is way too grain heavy to be a really high quality food. Sure, it has no by-products or corn, but it's still not a great food. It's better than grocery store brands like IAMS and Purina, but it's not a super premium food like DVP is.

I'm not familiar with the DVP Organic Formula, but maybe he just doesn't like that particular formula. Have you tried any of the other DVP varieties?
No I haven't tried any other DVP formulas.
He's only ever had California Natural, Innova, and DVP Organic.

You have definately turned me off the Nutro choice. I'll accept the sample when he drops it off tonight (hey, it's free) and then i might just have to persist with DVP organic - the place i get it from doesn't sell the duck and potato.
Check out their website - www.pawsonly.com.au

What do you think of Eaglepack Holistic?
That's the only other food they sell that i would consider (the only other ones they sell are Eukanuba and Science Diet).

Should I just persist with DVP and keep adding things to the kibble to make it interesting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
don't shoot me, but i have been switching griffin's food left and right since i got him. at first, i had him on nutro max puppy and then b/c of some other threads on this site, i decided to go with dvp duck & potato. i went to the store on sunday to buy more and the lady there (petco) told me he def needed to be on a puppy formula so i got nutro large breed puppy lamb & rice. now, with this thread, i am thinking about switching back to dvp duck & potato. griffin isn't picky about food nor does he seem to have any allergies. should i switch back to dvp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fishdu07 said:
don't shoot me, but i have been switching griffin's food left and right since i got him. at first, i had him on nutro max puppy and then b/c of some other threads on this site, i decided to go with dvp duck & potato. i went to the store on sunday to buy more and the lady there (petco) told me he def needed to be on a puppy formula so i got nutro large breed puppy lamb & rice. now, with this thread, i am thinking about switching back to dvp duck & potato. griffin isn't picky about food nor does he seem to have any allergies. should i switch back to dvp?
Griffin is so effing cute!
:)

well, because of this thread i think i'm going to persist with DVP.... it's better quality.
i wish they stocked duck and potato here though.... we don't have as much variety for premium dog food here in Australia.

i think DVP is for puppys AND adults... am i right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
He probably dont like the food cause all its organic and the one your considering at the store is holistic. Give the poor dog some meat lol, I know if i was him id want some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
Part of the problem may be that he's waiting to see what you are going to offer him tonight. Since you are bending over backwards to add things, mix in things, he's gotten picky about eating it plain. I unknowingly did this myself with one of my own dogs & she got to the point she wouldn't eat the kibble at all (DVP), only raw & then I had to hand feed her. Well, I finally had it & for a week straight I put down the kibble twice a day (I feed 2 times a day) for 15 minutes & then picked it up. Of course she had nothing to do with it. But 5 days later & 4lbs lighter, she ate & to this day eats her kibble the minute it's set before her.

And no dogs don't need to have their food rotated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jemhidiahssj4 said:
He probably dont like the food cause all its organic and the one your considering at the store is holistic. Give the poor dog some meat lol, I know if i was him id want some.
DVP has chicken in it!

and Patch still gets a meaty bone every day, so he's not lacking in the meat department.

So whats Holistic then? how's it different from organic?

Do you think DVP tastes bad cos it's so good for him?

Would anyone recomment Eaglepack over DVP (with the taste factor in mind)?

And yes, I think because he's gotten so used to me mixing something in with it, he doesn't eat the kibble alone.

Sometimes I add some wet food to it and he will eat the wet food, and any kibble stuck to the wet food, then his bowl remains with just the dry kibble in there.

But i must admit, because i leave his bowl outside with him all day, i come home and the bowls empty so he IS eating it when he realises there's no more wet stuff coming.

maybe i should be stronger and say 'stuff it, bad luck you're eating DVP or nothing young man!'

:x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
I thought there were some people on here who do change their dogs food regularly? Like Kogeki?

and I believe Patch is just being picky. Why would he ever eat plain kibble now that he has had better and knows he will get better if he doesnt eat right away?
This in turn sort of goes with him respecting you and seeing you as the alpha. He eats what and when you want him to eat. Not as he pleases
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kate said:
I thought there were some people on here who do change their dogs food regularly? Like Kogeki?

and I believe Patch is just being picky. Why would he ever eat plain kibble now that he has had better and knows he will get better if he doesnt eat right away?
This in turn sort of goes with him respecting you and seeing you as the alpha. He eats what and when you want him to eat. Not as he pleases
i think you're right.

i might just keep him on dvp.... I AM THE ALPHA! :wink: :wink:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top