Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My American Bulldog pup is 7mths old now and he gets fed biscuits and chicken necks for breakfast and dinner. I have noticed that when he's standing up, I can see his ribcage but he doesn't look thin we feed him enough its just that his ribcage can be seen lightly sticking out thru his fur when he stands up. Is this common at all with AB pups? maybe once he widens up his flesh will cover his ribcage? Any suggestions or comments? thanks.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
what do you mean by biscuits? like a dog treat biscuit or like a breakfast biscuit type thing? how much food does he get(1lb, 1 1/2lbs, 2lbs, etc. ?)

biscuits and chicken necks doesnt sound like a balanced diet, try giving him chicken leg quarters, chicken wings, etc. mix up his diet a lil bit and add other meats like beef, turkey, lamb, etc. into his diet.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My pups

Both my pups had that the vet said they were healthy, it was when they were young up to about 3 months now they are filled in and it has disappered I don't know if this helps mine are staffs makw sure you are feeding a good food and other wise he seems healthy and is eating well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It is actually prefered to see the rib cage and nice tuck in the tummy area of large breed pups. This puts less stress on growing bones and joints and lessons the chances for dysplasia, etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
ribs

Yes you are supposed to be able to see the ribs slightly. This means he is healthy. Also he is still young, he will fill out later on.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
it is good to see ribs slightly...when my AB Scarlet was a pup you could see hers, still can a little bit. If you can not see them at all usually means they are slightly overweight.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Odin is 7 1/2 and I can see his, I consider him healthy though.

I was a little paranoid about his weight when he was young, especially when I could see his ribs...but learned alot on these forums.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Sennin, looks like you need a new banner, that pup has grown up a whole bunch. Cute as always, you should post some more pics of him!!! :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
once again can i just say how much i love this forum! all the things that we've been concerned about with nelson, i've asked on this forum and everyone has cleared up for us.

we feed him dry dog food (i call them biscuits) and chicken necks too. going by the photos on this thread, nelson's very normal. yes we can see his ribcage slightly like the photos posted on this thread. thank you so much!

btw is odin 7 1/2 mths or 7 1/2 years?? he looks just like nelson in build. odin must still be a puppy isn't he?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
once again can i just say how much i love this forum! all the things that we've been concerned about with nelson, i've asked on this forum and everyone has cleared up for us.

we feed him dry dog food (i call them biscuits) and chicken necks too. going by the photos on this thread, nelson's very normal. yes we can see his ribcage slightly like the photos posted on this thread. thank you so much!

btw is odin 7 1/2 mths or 7 1/2 years?? he looks just like nelson in build. odin must still be a puppy isn't he?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's the latest of Josie. You can still see her ribs and she's about 74.5 pounds here. Sometimes she eats 3 times a day, plus treats. I just think some AB's have a harder time keeping weight on. Could be the food too. She's 10 months now. All your pup's look to be in wonderful shape. :D

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
4NGI3 said:

Just out of curiosity, what type of dry dog food do you feed? There are some out there that you want to stay away from.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Carrie said:
It is actually prefered to see the rib cage and nice tuck in the tummy area of large breed pups. This puts less stress on growing bones and joints and lessons the chances for dysplasia, etc.
Exactally... If you cant see ribs then the dog is overweight. I dont mean being able to count them from a distance though. My vet was telling me about a study they did on Black labs. Just being overweight by 15lbs shortnede the life span of the dog 2 years (harder on the hips/joints/organs)..

Jeremy

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ambulldogpup said:
4NGI3 said:

Just out of curiosity, what type of dry dog food do you feed? There are some out there that you want to stay away from.
i used to feed him dry puppy food that u buy from the supermarket but have recently changed to hills because i took him to the vet and the vet said he was not unhealthy weight but he is "lean" and it wouldn't do him any harm to be about 3 kg heavier and suggested we switch to hills and feed him a handful more each meal until he's about 1 year old as he's growing fast he needs really good food with all the nutrients.

but i've come across a problem, i'm finding it hard to get him to eat the new food. we used to feed him chicken necks and the puppy food from the supermarket and he used to eat the chicken necks first and food later. but now that i've cut back on the necks and given him the dry food he'll have a bit but not much more. i tried putting some water to moisten it a bit, also tried adding a bit of puppy milk but he still won't eat it.

do u have any suggestions as to what i can try to get him to eat his food? i'm already worried hes too skinny and now with Nelson not eating any of his new food, i don't want him to waste away. my sister said to just feed him the dry food and forget the chicken necks and when he's hungry, he'll have to eat the dry food he'll have no choice.

any suggestions youcan offer to help me get nelso to eat all his food? thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts