Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Should your dogs tag have his name on it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other tag thread got me thinking. What's your opinion? Do you think you should put your dogs name on his/her tags?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I would say name...doesnt matter but why not. But I would definantly put contact info, you never know if your dog may get out...at least that way if a good citizen finds them...they know where to return them. Address and phone number is a must. Both mine have tags with their name, my home number, cell number and address. I think its better then having your dog get out with no tag and way to be returned to you.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The dogs' name isn't important and I've heard it is not good to put it there - reasoning being that if you go to claim the dog, only YOU know it's name, and when you call it's name it will respond to you.
The important things are somehow to get ahold of YOU if the dog gets lost.
Also if you live in a city or county that requires it you need a license from the county or city.
Keep in mind that a CURRENT rabies tag is also very informative, and I've tracked many a dog's owner that way during the course of my Animal Control job.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
My dogs don't wear tags. I change collars around too much for that. Both my dogs are microchipped and one is tattooed. I agree with the person who said not to include the dogs name if your dogs do wear tags.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
On both of our dogs' tags we have Dennis' last name and both our cell phone numbers. Haus is microchipped, and Justice will be soon. Haus also has a small tattoo from when he got neutered(like you couldn't tell from looking at him, but whatever).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I don't put their names on. Tala is definitely at risk of being stolen just because she's a bull terrier, and I don't want to make it any easier for someone to keep her. I put my own contact information on the tag.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Beetle said:
I don't put their names on. Tala is definitely at risk of being stolen just because she's a bull terrier, and I don't want to make it any easier for someone to keep her. I put my own contact information on the tag.
Ditto.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Patch is microchipped AND i put his name on his tag. I also have my home phone number and both me and my husbands mobile (cell) number...

I get a little paranoid...

But the name thing has got me thinking....

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
All my dogs have tags and it just has my name, address and phone #s and I leave it at that.

What exactly is happening when a dog is microchipped and tattoo'd? I've heard about it being done but never saw anything about it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yemi has her microchip tag and an engraved one with my land-line number I was going to put my mobile number on it but I couldn't remember it :lol:

Micro chipping involves putting a microchip (tiny device the size of a rice grain) under their skin on their back, so if they get found somewhere they can be returned as all your info is stored on a data base. You just have to take the the dog to the vets to be scanned.
It's inserted with a device like a thick needle which I believe does hurt a bit but not enough to merit a local being given.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chassis' tags are on her Blocky Dog collar, but that is her "special occassion" collar, lol. She is microchipped though.

She doesn't have an ID tag, and I've been thinking about getting her one, but I think I only want a phone # on there like Yemi has. No one needs my address, and I've had my same cell # for almost 10 years and it's always with me. I don't think I want her name on there (not that anyone could pronounce it anyway, LOL), but like someone else mentioned it's just one more thing for someone to know if they want to keep your dog.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I don't have tags on my dogs. The only time they are wearing a collar is when they are on a walk. In the house, and in the backyard we don't use collars, cuz too many bad things can happen (and it has!) so I would prefer to be safe than sorry! They are both microchipped tho.

IF i had tags for my dogs, i would put MY name and number on it, for the same reasons listed before. My vet told me the same thing too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts